"Fortunate Son" (CCR) - Retrack and new mix

Brian Miller

Hey everyone!

Many months ago I uploaded an interpretation of "Fortunate Son" by CCR (if you haven't heard it, there's a reason I'm not calling it a cover). We had lots of great feedback and made adjustments accordingly.

UPDATE 12/12

Original posted 12/10

I've since retracked the main vox and all of the guitars, inspired by my new Les Paul. I'm back to the mixing stage and looking for some fresh ears and feedback.

Please no arrangement feedback. We've already been through that process right here in this forum. The arrangement isn't changing at this point. We're just looking for tracking and mixing thoughts, particularly the electric guitars (both clean and dirty).

Thanks! It's so great to be back on this forum. I hope I can find the time to start contributing regularly again.

Best, Brian

*MP3 attached for higher quality than Soundcloud, if you prefer.

Attachments

• FS retrack v4.2.mp3
    7.2 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Mix sounds dark, especially before the drums come in but even after. There's a strange, high pitched ringing noise about midway through.

Hey,
I didn't think it sounded particularly dark. I did catch the high pitched noise, though.
Pretty sure it's held organ, right? Without more fullness to it, I think it's a bit distracting. Probably because you might not be sure what it is straight away.

I know the song and I'm sure you'll have your fans and haters here but I thought this was a really cool.
They payoff at the end is nice and well executed.
I'm wondering if something needs cut in the main rhythm guitar chords in the final section. They sounded separated from the rest, to me.
I mean, they sound really good but they sit out I think.

Vocals are really cool!

Hey,
I didn't think it sounded particularly dark. I did catch the high pitched noise, though.
Pretty sure it's held organ, right? Without more fullness to it, I think it's a bit distracting. Probably because you might not be sure what it is straight away.

I know the song and I'm sure you'll have your fans and haters here but I thought this was a really cool.
They payoff at the end is nice and well executed.
I'm wondering if something needs cut in the main rhythm guitar chords in the final section. They sounded separated from the rest, to me.
I mean, they sound really good but they sit out I think.

Vocals are really cool!

Yes the high pitch is an organ. Good idea to beefen it up with a full chord and bring it forward a bit.

As for electrics at the end, I can try to bring them down a bit and give a little more of the global verb to blend with other instruments.

Cool cool! I hope it works.
Is it a real organ, out of interest? I ask because I'm repairing an old Kawai organ right now! :)

I liked it before and I like it now.
:D
I downloaded the mp3 so I can have a better listen later.

Ok, update post.

I go a chance to listen to the non soundcloud mp3 in my studio.

First off I hate giving mix critique, seeing how it is pretty subjective and I'm no expert, but anyway.

Love your version (both times)

I see what people might be saying about it being a bit dark.

I dont think it is dark but pre drums coming in it could use a bit of space and air. It's very dry and could benefit from a bit more verb.

When the solo guitar comes in it's very alive. Quite dramatic! Great playing too.

After the drums kick in, actually when you do the line "war what is it good for", the whole song kicks into high gear and comes to life.
Not in an energy increase, but sonically it comes to life (Even though the energy jumps up a notch as well)

Mix wise, I love the vocals, both performance and in arrangements, but think they could come up a bit in level.

Anyway these are just my veiws and may not be shared.

Love the tune.
:D

Last edited:
On the first "It ain't me" you can clearly hear an auto tune type shift. I don't think that's something you should be going for. Unless you're trying to make it as modern pop crap of a song as possible. Your vocals reminded me a lot of James Taylor. Cool tune dawg, but once everything kicks in towards the end it feels all jumbled up or something.

I really like the dry mix, a lot. However just one thing from me.

The vocal sounds weird in the mix. It's sang really well, that's not what I mean. It just feels isolated from the rest of the mix. What I'm saying is everything sounds tight with everything else but the vocal feels like it is just kind of there. I think actually turning it down the slightest would help and possibly a 2:1 compression just to take the bite off? It might even be an EQ thing. I can't place it. It just seems like it is much more dynamic in range compared to everything else which makes it stick out, from my view, not in the best way.

Even if you left it, it sounds really good. Just my thoughts.

EDIT: I like what RFR said: "First off I hate giving mix critique, seeing how it is pretty subjective and I'm no expert, but anyway."

TheLurker

Thanks for the feedback guys! Here's a new version:

Changes
-Reverb/delay added to main rhythm electrics. I know some of you liked it dry (which is what I was originally going for). I'm trying it out with more room space.
-Main vox given heavier compression to even out of the level throughout the song
-Main vox also given EQ automation for the heavy end of the song, to help it cut through the mix
-Organ retracked with fuller chords in lower register, and pushed up in the mix so it can be distinguished
-Overdriven electrics at end of song EQed a bit and brought a touch down to sit better with the rest of band

FoulPhil - There's no Autotune. That's just me not having world class control over my voice/vibrato ;)

~Brian

I'd like to hear the vocal up-front or at least a little more forward, it seems kind of way in the back right now. It sounds like there might be some pitch correction going on on the held notes, it sounds a little strange. Although you might just be that good a singer, I've made that mistake before. :P The rest of the tracks are pretty well balanced I think, although I think the overdrive guitars might come down a bit.

Oops btw I listened to v6.

I'd like to hear the vocal up-front or at least a little more forward, it seems kind of way in the back right now. It sounds like there might be some pitch correction going on on the held notes, it sounds a little strange. Although you might just be that good a singer, I've made that mistake before. :P The rest of the tracks are pretty well balanced I think, although I think the overdrive guitars might come down a bit.

Oops btw I listened to v6.

I worked very hard to hit those notes and hold them. I have a tendency to drift on long held notes. So I appreciate the compliment.

I mean, there's some nudging of notes here and there. But no Auto tune and nothing pulling long notes in.

As to the level of the vox, they are prominent and out front on all of my systems. So I'm not sure what you're listening through that they are pushed back.

Last edited:
Yeah I guess it's a matter of opinion then. To me it sounds like the singer is backstage, not real engaging, but if you like it go for it!

Back