Food gardening

I’m a Landscape Architect by profession and have grown my own food with compost fertilizer and hand weeding techniques. The best peppers, tomatoes and watermelons ever…pumpkins, sweet potatoes, squash, avocados, mangos, starfruit, lychees, limes, kale, cabbage, lemons and grapefruit. I don’t have the time or space right now but always buy produce from local Florida farmers and use what they have in stock.

I don't necessarily agree, everyone is entitled to an opinion....but I have to say the recipe drenched in red sauce is kind of cringe.

1715153162443.png

I have this lone 30-35 year old peach tree on the south side of my property. It's old and weather beaten. Heavy snowfalls and ice here in northern CT have taken their toll on the old tree, but it refuses to die. Used to be, years ago, in full sunlight until my neighbor planted 5 ft tall Aborvity trees 25 years ago that are now 25 foot tall and blocking the southern sunshine. It still keeps producing fruit, though. Gotta a couple hundred 1/2" baby peaches on it now, but a lot of em usually fall off before they mature. Had a few dozen mature peaches on it last season but the frigging squirrels ate every damn peach because the woman in charge round here told me stop filling bird feeders up with sunflower seeds a hundred feet away from that peach tree. Big mistake! Squirrels follow birds wherever they dine...and ignore that peach tree when otherwise occupied elsewhere.

Attachments

• 20240520_163621.jpg
    20240520_163621.jpg
    15.1 MB · Views: 5
  • 20240520_163531.jpg
    20240520_163531.jpg
    11.2 MB · Views: 5
It's something, isn't it. You plant or have an existing tree, fruit grows, ripens, you eat the fruit. Should be that simple, but it is not. Diseases, bugs, wildlife, a grab bag of uncertainty and the potential for disappointment. The apple, cherry, peach trees I planted are outgrowing the cages. Peaches, it's loaded, too many really, the weight. Some have little red spots, disease, fungal I think. It'll get worse if I don't intervene, might be too late this year. I say peach, but that one also has another graft on it, pretty sure plum. It has one single plum, I think single because the wind blew off the blossoms while first flowering. Cherry tree seems to be growing well, although there does seem to be some leaf curl. Maybe those leaves are just young as of yet. Though it is still in a cage, the deer are eating it, the overgrowth. The 3 in 1 apple trees, cedar-apple rust. I've sprayed them once, should again. So far so good, small apples.

There is a tree fallen over the property line onto my property, suspected peach last year, but no fruit. This year I think it was pollinated from my peach ("fruit cocktail") tree. Maybe. It just needed a friend. Peaches are too high for the deer to reach, some, maybe. Might get some peaches from it, if the birds don't pick holes in them. Squirrels stay inside the wood line or others areas where there are hickory nuts, acorns. 3 groundhogs caught feeding on the wildflower patch I made for the wife. Bastards. Moles, or voles, around and in my vegetable garden. I'm thinking cayenne pepper, sprinkled, or perhaps a tea with garlic added. Bugs not too far off in the future, learned that shit last year. Gotta take a more proactive approach this year.

In short, it ain't as simple as sticking things in the ground and later simply enjoying the fruits of your efforts, and labor, expense. Grew things back in the city, except for tomatoes attracting rats, which I had never seen one before then, not much of a problem. Pretty corn, perfect. Out here there is diversity, if there isn't one thing there is another. Definitely have to stay more on it.

Oh, the aborvitae(sp?), we have one planted by previous owner. Bagworms. Never heard of such a thing. Have eaten the pointy top. Always something.

Good luck with your peaches.

Was gardening out back today getting some more things in the ground before rain tomorrow evening. Will be busy with other things tomorrow so figured I should get the grass mowed. Done in sections, around the perimeter and round & round towards the center. Close to the center, there it was. Snake, Copperhead. Fark. About a foot and a half, small, juvenile. Where there's one there's probably others? Black snakes no problem. Copperhead, I ain't diggin' it.

Ran over it with the rider.

Back