Food gardening

Squirrels used to decimate my neighbor's apple tree. Just about the time when they were getting ripe, they would wind up on the ground with chunks bitten out of them.

The green house now has all four sides done. Next the roof. The garden is in and going good. The rainwater collection barrels are up to gravity feed the garden. I should have 110 gallons of water by the end of the day. That should save us a bunch of trips hauling water or hoses up to the garden. I put a gutter on the side of the barn that is halfway up the hill that feeds a 55 gallon drum, which in turn feeds another 55 gallon drum at the garden. I can also feed water to the greenhouse from either barrel. Will take some more pics soon. My one year old peach tree has two little peaches on it!

Squirrels used to decimate my neighbor's apple tree. Just about the time when they were getting ripe, they would wind up on the ground with chunks bitten out of them.
That is what pellet guns are for. They don't like to come back after getting stung a couple of times.

So far, it's been a decent year. I've picked about 5 1/2 gallons of cherries. The past several days in the high 80s-low 90s has made them ripen fast, and the birds seem to be loving the feast! But 5 gallons is plenty for me. I've already given a half bucket to my neighbor to make a pie for her granddaughter, and have a couple of quarts pitted and frozen for another friend.

After all the picking is finished, I need to get to the pruning. Then I'll give it some fertilizer and make sure it had plenty of water.

So far, it's been a decent year. I've picked about 5 1/2 gallons of cherries. The past several days in the high 80s-low 90s has made them ripen fast, and the birds seem to be loving the feast! But 5 gallons is plenty for me. I've already given a half bucket to my neighbor to make a pie for her granddaughter, and have a couple of quarts pitted and frozen for another friend.

After all the picking is finished, I need to get to the pruning. Then I'll give it some fertilizer and make sure it had plenty of water.

Damn, that's awesome, man! Cherries by the end of the first week in June? It is just the first week of June isn't it? Saturday morning, head a little foggy as of yet.

Jalapenos way at the top left - can't see them here. Then squash on the top left - tomatoes in the left foreground. Pinto beans on the far right, and okra in the near right. So far, so good. :-)

garden.jpg

Congrats on scoring that powerful tiller at such a great price! Your wife really came through by finding one nearby on Facebook Marketplace. Sure beats all that back-breaking hand-digging, huh? Just give that cord a tug and voila! Instant rock garden. Of course, there's still plenty of work ahead, but finding the time is always the challenge, isn't it? It's a bit late in the game, but not too late. You managed to till a 12x30 plot, keeping it narrow to discourage those sneaky deer from jumping in. Smart move. By the way, have you ever thought about incorporating some of the best spirulina powder into your gardening routine? It's organic and loaded with nutrients that can give your plants a real boost.

Last edited:
I've got a air pump BB/pellet gun with a scope. It's very useful here where I live. It can bet set for stun or lethal - or somewhere in between.

But, of course, we try everything else first. Just finished putting up 140x2 ft. of mesh screening to keep the bunnies out.

I've just stumbled upon this thread from a year ago and couldn't help but join the conversation. It's amazing to see how self-reliance and growing our own food have become even more important over time, given the unstable and uncertain world we live in.
I have to admit - that self reliance idea is attractive. I do plan on improving the area of my garden so I can do more. But for now we're trying to make the most of what we've got by planting stuff that we've both had success with already and also has a strong yield.

I finally bought a tiller. She's a beast. Used, rear tine, 300 bucks. A hell of a deal. Wife took pity and located one close by on Facebook marketplace. Still had to drive about 90 miles round trip. Had to replace one tire, under 30 bucks ordered and delivered. That hand digging crap is for the birds. Apparently you just pull the cord and it's instant rock garden. Yeah, I got a lot of work left to do, just need to find the time. It's a little late, but not too. Tilled about a 12x30 plot. It needs to be narrow so the fencing I erect will make it inhospitable to deer jumping over in there. Corn going in the next day or two, more squash, beans, maybe even melons. Maybe. I may do the three sisters thing. Corn, beans climb up the corn, squash under to shade the soil from drying/hardening. The American Indian way. Sounds interesting, but have never tried it. Always wanted to, but never had the room. Now I do.

Jalapenos way at the top left - can't see them here. Then squash on the top left - tomatoes in the left foreground. Pinto beans on the far right, and okra in the near right. So far, so good. :-)

View attachment 130059
Nice, tidy. What kind of tomatoes have you got?

I already have in the ground, Sweet 100(cherry tomatoes). I've grown them before, indeterminate, they go crazy. Cherokee Purple, heirloom variety. Roma, meaty, not too watery, my go-to for making beak of the rooster(pico de Gallo). Um, a couple of other varieties that escape me at the moment. Picked up more today. 4 packs of each. Juliet, sort of plum-ish, sweet. Parks Whopper. Big Boy, and Better Boy. I wanted to find some of those orange cherry tomatoes, no luck. Man, those things are like eating candy right off the vine.

I already have in the ground, Sweet 100(cherry tomatoes). I've grown them before, indeterminate, they go crazy. Cherokee Purple, heirloom variety. Roma, meaty, not too watery, my go-to for making beak of the rooster(pico de Gallo). Um, a couple of other varieties that escape me at the moment. Picked up more today. 4 packs of each. Juliet, sort of plum-ish, sweet. Parks Whopper. Big Boy, and Better Boy. I wanted to find some of those orange cherry tomatoes, no luck. Man, those things are like eating candy right off the vine.
Fresh tomatoes are da best. I worked on a farm for a couple summers and when we were sent to pick the tomatoes we could eat as many as we wanted most of the time. Fond memories.

Fresh tomatoes are da best. I worked on a farm for a couple summers and when we were sent to pick the tomatoes we could eat as many as we wanted most of the time. Fond memories.

It is amazing the difference fresh off the vine makes. Almost not the same food as store bought, or even from a farm stand. Yellow squash, oh my, the smell, the taste. Fresh flash sauteed in butter with onions and fresh thyme, maybe a squeeze of lemon, unbelievably good. I have no idea what I am going to do with all the tomatoes, give a lot away for sure. I'd like to possibly find a good and worthy place to donate some. Next year I'll likely not grow as many varieties, choose those who do well and seem to be happy here.

Those are cherry. I'm not a big tomato guy. But my wife loves them.

Those are cherry. I'm not a big tomato guy. But my wife loves them.

You should maybe next year try some of those orange cherry tomatoes. There are likely several varieties, if I run across or remember the name I'll pass it on. Man, they are really good. My granddaughter would eat so many as a young child I had to eventually stop her so it wouldn't possibly upset her stomach. Cherry tomatoes are great on a stick, skewer, with either chicken, beef, or shrimp, w/ peppers and onions. The tomato adds a lot, the brightness and acidity. Takes it over the top.

You should maybe next year try some of those orange cherry tomatoes. There are likely several varieties, if I run across or remember the name I'll pass it on. Man, they are really good. My granddaughter would eat so many as a young child I had to eventually stop her so it wouldn't possibly upset her stomach. Cherry tomatoes are great on a stick, skewer, with either chicken, beef, or shrimp, w/ peppers and onions. The tomato adds a lot, the brightness and acidity. Takes it over the top.
The best ones are called Clementine. Large as far as cherry varieties go, no diseases, consistent heavy yield, only downside is a tendency to crack if left to ripen too long.

I've shared your tomatoe recommendations with Mrs Porterhouse. She recognized most of those and appreciated your suggestions. Thanks! :thumbs up:

The weather has put a damper on the next phase of the greenhouse which is the roof. The gravity feed watering system is working like a charm.
The garden is all in, the pot plants are growing, everything is going good except for... One of the apple trees I bought last year has rust. I have treated it
and it looks like touch and go. Also something is effecting the old pear tree. Bunch of dead branches. Time will tell.

Back