Foam Traps vs OC703

etanercept

I am building my bass traps now. The help I have recieved here is immeasurable! Although I'm still a complete idiot when it comes to mixing and mastering, it's good to know I get to play the blame game with the "room" (at least some of it). I am buliding 3 each 24"x48" 4" thick OC703 panels covered in burlap. I want to fill my room corners to the R/L of my monitors as well. Easy enough to make, but I have seen these foam bass traps for corners. Do these absorb as well as the OC703? I like the looks, but I want performance. I want a dead room no matter the sacrifice. You guys are great and you can continue to look forward to more questions till I run out of excuses for bad mixes!:D

703 or Knauf.

You don't want a "dead" room, you want RT60 times below a half-second across the spectrum.

I want a dead room

No you don't. You want a "flat" room, frequency wise. Especially in the lower frequencies, which foam will not be of any help with. It will probably make it worse, since you'll be killing the high-mids but not the bass.

I am building my bass traps now. The help I have recieved here is immeasurable! Although I'm still a complete idiot when it comes to mixing and mastering, it's good to know I get to play the blame game with the "room" (at least some of it). I am buliding 3 each 24"x48" 4" thick OC703 panels covered in burlap. I want to fill my room corners to the R/L of my monitors as well. Easy enough to make, but I have seen these foam bass traps for corners. Do these absorb as well as the OC703? I like the looks, but I want performance. I want a dead room no matter the sacrifice. You guys are great and you can continue to look forward to more questions till I run out of excuses for bad mixes!:D

If you can afford it, Superchunks are the way to go for corners...

http://forum.studiotips.com/viewtopic.php?t=535

Back