FMR RNC vs. ART PRO VLA II

kidkage

Bored of Canada
As a persons first compressor (aside from a presonus channel strip), for a person who started looking for a nice two channel compressor for drum overheads with an M-Audio DMP3, which would you recommend?

Is it more common for people to buy a VLA after they've bought an RNC or for people to buy an RNC after theyve bought a VLA :eek:

Additional info that may be useful: will be recording into cubase.
my current mics- SM57, 2 studio projects b1's, sennheiser e609, behringer xm8500

:drunk:

If you have a desktop rack, with maybe an EQ or whatever else, the ART fits in nicely because it is an honest piece of rack gear. If you have some open space on a small guitar pedal board, the RNC should fit. And if you have a Digitech Whammy, or other Line6 pedals, you can power the RNC off of that. Convenient. ;)

I've owned the FMR and a couple ART PRO VLA's as well.

The FMR is overrated in my opinion. I got rid of mine within a week of buying it, I was extremely disappointed. But for drum overheads it might be a possibility. I just thought it sounded small and kind of cheap to my ears.

The PRO VLA is a better sounding unit in my opinion, but again I don't either of mine anymore. Given the choice between it and the FMR I'd pick the ART unit, but I didn't use either on drums.

That said, I really like the older DBX compressors. The vintage 166's sell for around $100 on eBay, and are definitely worth a look if you can find one in great condition. I'm talking about the original vintage 166, not the 166A, 166XL, or later versions.

This is only my opinion, but FMR stuff is really not the greatest thing since sliced bread, contrary to Internet lore. It's a glorified guitar pedal that just happens to work for 'other' recording tasks.
The power supply determines available headroom, and even my cheap dbx 266 has a +18VDC supply inside. Sure, you use an 18VAC adaptor, but inside it gets rectified and split up into +18VDC and -18VDC for some dynamic headroom. If you want three RNC's and the three power supplied hanging there, they're still only 9VAC, so at best you'd have half of the available headroom in comparison.
I always go with rack gear that has it's own power supply, save the one dbx that was just such a good deal I couldn't say 'NO!' to it. If you cut corners all over the place, including the power supply, what corners did you cut that I can't see? If the retail price is the final end for you, why am I almost paying $200 for a glorified guitar pedal? Cramming in all the parts like FMR does invites noise. The ART is $300 and adds VU meters, gain reduction LED's, output level LED's, and is using enough size to the PC board that interference and noise should be at a minimum. In fact, the ART advertises they use a toroidal transformer for minimal hum and interference. Plus they also thought it was important enough to add balanced XLR inputs and outputs. The RNC makes me use my cheap Radio Shack high impedance microphone. Or, you can use your better judgment and go with the ART. But it's your call.
You can also collect compressors. I have a handful of rack units, but for guitar I must have over a dozen compressor pedals. It's a disease, but they do all sound subtly different. Try as many as you can, buy some, resell the ones you don't use often enough, and figure out on your own what's best for you.

I like my two ART Pro VLA units...use them a lot during tracking, just to help "tighten" things up a pinch and to add a touch of color...very subtle, but I like what they do, though you can push them harder too.

I have the RNC. I think it´s a great unit for the price. I used on bass and drums and like it. Very transparent to my ears.

I sold my RNC after a month of trying to love it as much as the interwebs say I should.
I used the money to buy an ART PRO VLA.
Stuck some different tubes in it and love it for tracking vox, bass and sometimes even acoustic guitar
RNC is fine as a super clean compressor once you get past the really poor metering (especially in Really Nice mode), but I can already do that in any number of software compressors. The VLA seems to give a little bit of oomph/grit that even high end software plugs have a problem measuring up to

I could see using a few RNCs for live sound as a cheap and clean safety net, but in 24 bit recording with usually 12dB of headroom over the peaks I had a hard time finding a use for mine. It's not a character piece for sure

just my $0.02
YMMV

I bought an RNC right after they first came out. I used to use it on a stereo buss for compressing back up vocals and sometimes the drum mix. It can sound really good on certain applications, but I never thought it was as that great. I haven't used mine in at least 4 years. It's very over rated, but still a useful thing to have around. Having to compensate for it's low output has always been a headache, as I recollect, that's why I used it in a buss application a lot.

Its hard to compare two devices which are different in their design. Both will do jobs they are designed to do and do them well enough to be considered bargains.

Back