flutter...im in the gutter

Euan

hi there,
im new around here. just got a tascam 244 and have a problem with it. I've searched the forum to make sure i wasnt repeat posting and couldnt find anything. The problems are:

flutter on the recordings....its sounds like it was recorded in the 1920's or somthing. If the flutter was not there the quality would be great but its just abit off putting to listen back.

channel 2 does not seem to record. The vu meter lights up, but no signal goes through the circuit (it seems). Whenever channel is engaged to record, channel 1's unlit vu meter starts showing signal. I'l followed the manual very strictly so im very sure its not human error.

i understand these machines are old and maybes its not worth persuing any repair but if anyone know how to solve this i would be greatfull!
thanks
euan

p.s., sorry for posting another thread about the 244's!! they seem to be popular around here.

The belt on the capstan may need replacing.

My old Tascam started doing a bit of this sort of 'flutter' thing. I loosened the backtension on the feeder spool to 'fix' it (the machine itself has so many faults that it's just not worth repairing properly).

But if you value your machine I'd get it serviced unless you're a qualified engineer or you've taught yourself all about this kind of thing.

thanks very much for your words. i noticed your from reading....well im in watford so not a million miles away. do you know of anywhere near us that services old 4 tracks? i would be willing to travel as i really love the machine.
thanks.
euan

You definitely need to replace the capstan belt (and I would also replace the control belt) and also have the rubber pinch roller cleaned properly by a special rubber cleaner. I'm not sure if something like caig deoxit is available in the UK or not. Any good rubber cleaner would do but care must be taken to do it right. A replacement of the pinch roller would be another option. Have you checked that all 4 jumpers are present at the back of the recorder ?

If you still need servicing, try this:

http://www.tascam.de/en/kontakt.html

TEAC / TASCAM still has many original parts available, including belts and pinch rollers. I'd give 'em a call first.

Do they carry original TEAC / TASCAM replacement parts / belts ? My experience has been that many other places, including eBay, many times have higher prices than what you could get straight from TEAC and with them, at least you know for 100% that you're getting the right thing, specified for your machine.

thanks for all your help people. i've done some research and yes, tascam HQ is situated in the cultural wasteland that is watford. i'll check out those :D links, ta!
euan

Back