fixing drums

How do they do this with live acoustic drums? How do they move actual kick and snare transients to fit a grid without it fucking up phase with the overheads?

You group all the tracks together, cut them all and move them to fit the grid. The only thing that gets problematic is when two things are supposed ti hit at the same time, but don't. that's when it has to be reperformed

But how does it fill in the gaps? It would have to time stretch the gaps because just a crossfade will still create phase problems. All it takes is the tiniest move either way for a snare to be out of whack in the overheads. If you've ever slid a snare track to match up with overheads, you can really hear what a difference those few milliseconds makes. Sometimes for the good, sometimes for the bad. So say some snare hits naturally fall on the grid, and some are off. Hows do you compensate for that? And still, what happens to the overheads? It just seems like a ridiculous amount of tom foolery with real drums. I can totally see gridding it up with samples and loops. But with live acoustic drums, I'm just not understanding.
there are two ways to do it.

1. backfill the time by pulling the audio back and crossfading.

2. Using time stretch, but the dawn has to have a feature that stretches all the drum tracks exactly the same way, so it doesn't create phase problems.

Mind you, if the performance just sucks, you can't fix it. Same with auto tuning. You can't take a completely bad performance and make it great, you can only take a good performance and make it great.

Hmmm yeah. I just watched some "tutorials" on how to do it in Reaper. That's way above my pay grade.
It's not that bad, just time consuming. you also have to know how to count out the parts as well as know what the drummer was attempting to do. Beat detective and similar things make it much easier and more efficient. Like I said, it's done on almost everything you hear commercially.

It's not that bad, just time consuming. you also have to know how to count out the parts as well as know what the drummer was attempting to do. Beat detective and similar things make it much easier and more efficient. Like I said, it's done on almost everything you hear commercially.

The more I research it, the lamer I think it is.....for me personally. I'd never do it to my own stuff. There have been times that I've mixed other people's stuff that it could be helpful.

I only bother to do it on my stuff when there is actually something wrong, or if I'm putting drums on something that was sequenced, recorded to a drum machine (as in putting drums on last) or something like that. On other peoples stuff, I only do it when they pay me to do it.

Back