fixing drums

lurek100

hi,
I recorded drums and have to get them straight.
how you guys do it?
I tried bit detective in protools and elastic audio but it dosent do it right.
any advise ?

I manage it finally :)

I done everything manually.
I created a group of all drums and cut the transients then I was changing to grid mode pull it to the grid and crossfade. slow and painfull but works.
For the future, if you have any better solution please let me know.
thanks

I just love threads like this, how do I fix it so it sounds like we can actually play the song without actually learning how to play the instrument. :facepalm:

Alan.

:eatpopcorn:

All I am saying is why not get the drums played by someone that can actually play drums and save yourself a whole lot of editing pain? You know it can be rewarding using other musicians for their input.

Alan.

If it makes you feel any better, I end up doing it the same way. I don't have protools, so beat detective is out. beat detective works fine, but the performance needs to be pretty close in order for it to work without having to fool around a lot. If the performance was that close, I don't think I would bother fixing the timing in the first place.

Last edited:
if its micing:

track it properly using the correct micing techniques this time.

It takes something alot more than protools to do what you want, sorry.

Levels:

set them correctly next time, without the guitarists "help"

Last edited:
If they didn't play it right to begin with, its not worth keeping.

Unfortunately, nearly everything is quantized now. Even drummers that don't need it like Portnoy will get their performances move to the grid. It's just like vocal tuning, even if you don't hear the tuning, it's been tuned. That's just the way things are done anymore, as sad as that is...

Unfortunately, nearly everything is quantized now. Even drummers that don't need it like Portnoy will get their performances move to the grid. It's just like vocal tuning, even if you don't hear the tuning, it's been tuned. That's just the way things are done anymore, as sad as that is...

How do they do this with live acoustic drums? How do they move actual kick and snare transients to fit a grid without it fucking up phase with the overheads?

How do they do this with live acoustic drums? How do they move actual kick and snare transients to fit a grid without it fucking up phase with the overheads?

Easiest way for me is beat detective. It basically cuts all, say 7-12 drums mics at every transient across those tracks and places them to the grid. So if its a kick transient every track gets split there, if it's a cymbal hit then same thing, then it uses small cross fades to smooth it all out. Now this does require the drummer to be in time with him self, feet and hands, but if thats there and the performance is close beat detective can make it quite easy. Always screws up fills though, you have to do those manually most times.

But how does it fill in the gaps? It would have to time stretch the gaps because just a crossfade will still create phase problems. All it takes is the tiniest move either way for a snare to be out of whack in the overheads. If you've ever slid a snare track to match up with overheads, you can really hear what a difference those few milliseconds makes. Sometimes for the good, sometimes for the bad. So say some snare hits naturally fall on the grid, and some are off. Hows do you compensate for that? And still, what happens to the overheads? It just seems like a ridiculous amount of tom foolery with real drums. I can totally see gridding it up with samples and loops. But with live acoustic drums, I'm just not understanding.

Back