Fixed my fender hot rod deville

jimistone

long standing member
I combed the Internet trying to diagnoss the dreaded horrible crackling sound fender HRD amps make. They are notorious for this I have come to find out. Most people take them to an amp repairman because they can't figure out the problem them selves. I have been there/done that already a few years ago. Paid $150 to fix this same problem...and now it rears its ugly head again. Well I tested the power tube and preamp tubes and they were all good and none were micro phonic.

Long story short I couldn't find a component problem.
But I'm not dishing out any more dough to fix this sumbitch so I didn't give up!

I got the main circuit board and the power stage circuit board exposed to the point where I could get a soldering iron to them and reflowed every single solder joint on both boards.

It's like a brand spanking new amp now.

I guess it was a bad solder joint somewhere.

I hope this helps someone else solve the commonplace crackling noise quirk of this line of amplifiers

Last edited:
Reactions: JCH
WTG Man! Modern components that are ROHS compliant all have a limited life. It sucks that manufacturers can't use materials that will last more than a few years. Good for you fixing it yourself!

good suggestion, good post..Ive benefitted several times by posts like this. congrats on the Free-Fix too!

Back