First track of 100 3d printed homes going up for sale in Texas....

The older machines had a lot more options with G code. Now they are extras you have to pay for. Some of them still work on the newer machines without the options being turned on by the manufacturer. For instance IF and GOTO statements etc. All the older machines would take these codes, the new machines the option has to be turned on and you pay for it. You could use all those codes to do part counts, stop the machine after the tool has been run x amount of times, stuff like that. OKUMAS always came with all the options still intact and not have to be paid for. Using OKUMAS ability to assign the work offsets as variables one never had to write subprograms and you could start or end on any part on the table you wanted. CADCAM can't write that kind of code. Many times I would write the code with MASTERCAM and then massage it to work on the OKUMAs the way I wanted it to. OKUMAS also had the best graphics dry run of all controllers. Most of them look like snail tracks and if you are not familiar with them and how to set the controllers to read the pertinent information, they are basically worthless to a machine operator.
Sounds like you have tons of experience. I have a couple haas machines but most of the work I do is pretty simple so not a lot of difficult programming.

I know the HAAS machines very well. Ran them and programmed them for years. I worked in the trade for over fifty years. There were no CNC machines when I started.
What is it you are making on the machines?

I know the HAAS machines very well. Ran them and programmed them for years. I worked in the trade for over fifty years. There were no CNC machines when I started.
What is it you are making on the machines?
Mostly into sawmill equipment and repairs so shafts, hubs, bushings etc. Nothing to complicated or high tolerance.

I wonder how they will do riding out a Texas tornado. Other than ripping the roof off, I would think that it was be pretty strong. It might be good to have at least one room with a concrete roof for a safe room.
Im guessing that they wont hold up well at all. This process requires a much different mix than a traditional pour. sheer strength at horizontal interfaces decrease by 22%-30%, and sheer strength of vertical interfaces decrease by 24%-25% compared to traditional forms and continuous poor. The 3d concrete is more of a shotcreate/mortar. No way this process is as strong, or as efficient as traditional methods. They are nowhere near complete in the video at the two week mark. A crew of 5-6 men would be on to other jobs at that point. It is cool tech, and has its uses, but they aren't there yet for homes.

There goes thousands upon thousands of jobs.

What jobs will people have in the future?

Twenty years from now the only jobs available for normal people will be picker and packers at all the amazon 3D built warehouses on every corner in the US.

I'm so thankful I'm old.

Im guessing that they wont hold up well at all. This process requires a much different mix than a traditional pour. sheer strength at horizontal interfaces decrease by 22%-30%, and sheer strength of vertical interfaces decrease by 24%-25% compared to traditional forms and continuous poor.
Can you cite this data you are referencing?

From what I understand about it, when it is printed it has to be mixed in a way that makes it perform more like Shotcrete. This can be problematic when it comes to the drying process due to inconsistencies between batches, which can be seen during an after drying in the color variance of the layers. Because it is layered, there are air pockets between those layers, as well as other inconsistencies that don’t happen with a continuous pour process. This stuff is really more like a mortar than it is concrete. I’ve been in construction my entire adult life, and to me, the process just seems convoluted, and I am failing to see how it good make the product more affordable for the end user. The machines can cost from 800k to over 1million. They have to be transported, set up, tore down, and transported again, and that seems way more time consuming than traditional method. I don’t have any data on that, just an educated guess after watching some videos and comparing progress to to time frame.

Nice price . .

538 sf for the price of a car. They compare the cost of their 538 sf printed home to the median US home, which would be anywhere from 1500 - 2100 sf. Not exactly a fair comparison.

Shrinkflation at it's finest.
Just imagine it. You end your 16 hr shift at the Brawdo factory, pile into your tiny electric car, get home to see your daily ration of food has been delivered to your tiny doorstep, crack open a 1 oz can of your favorite brew, and kick back in your tiny recliner, and flip the tv to the latest episode of "OW! MY BALLS!. Man, just doesn't get any better than that!
Glad I own land in the middle of nowhere.

Back