First post in the clinic for a while by Tukkis

Tukkis

Hey
It's been a while since I posted in the mp3 clinic.

Finally got my studio finished and got my first band in to record.
They are just older than me, I'm 16 yrs old.

The drummer is very tight and consistent which helped me alot and added to the final sound.

Please give any mix suggestions

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/?aid=2887/singles

There are three songs each with a different flavour.

Thanks Alot
Tukkis:D

So this is what the kids listen to? Nice job on the recordings, I think you have a bright future if you can pull this off at 16. I could barely press play and record on my handheld cassette player. The vocals sound a little too dry and therefore don't sit in as well as they could. Some reverb and compression might help on the first two songs.

Thanks
Yeh i agree on the vocals
I was mixing with one of the band members and that's how he wanted it.

Thanks again
Tukkis

I'll try my best to review a song. But I'm only 4 years old.

I listened to "The Bitter and Twisted."

The guitars have a real full sound. Liked the doubling. Drums sound great. They're either well played or programed.

The vocals are a little bit thin sounding. They need a little something to fatten them up. Maybe double or triple them all the way through. Some reverb might help them as well.

If the thin sound is what you're going for then they're just a bit far back in the mix and could probably be brought up.

Backing vocals have a some minor pitchiness in spots. The guitars get slightly off-tempo around the 1:30 mark.

Lyrically so-so. "Played with my mind and ripped out my heart" and been a bit overdone over the years.

My thoughts.

Thanks
Yeh the vocals were abit off tune. That's the best the singer could do.
I'll try doubling and adding more reverb.

The drums are real. The drummer was really awesome and tight.

Thanks
Tukkis

ps- you might wanna listen to CRY. It has a really cool intro:D

Listening to Cry..

Very nice. Good drummer, and good drum sound, tho the toms sound weird. They don't blend with the rest of the kit.
Solid bass player too. Makes me think of Mudvayne.

Vocals sound clear, maybe to clear.. I'd like them a bit dirtier, and in my face, but that's just a matter of taste.

Good recording. Nice band.

wanted to listen but I've got this:

"This users account has been disabled for violating terms of service."

"If you feel you are getting this message in error, please contact an administrator."

"Yeh the vocals were abit off tune. That's the best the singer could do. I'll try doubling and adding more reverb."

If you can't get the singer to sing another track, doubling won't do any good. You could try adding some "chorus" to the vocals to fatten them up, but ultimately try to bring the singer back in to do a 2nd and 3rd take and blend as needed to fatten them up. Actually if he can do 2 more takes, put the best take dead center and slightly pan the 2nd-3rd takes left and right.

Lordy, not what I was expecting for a song called cry.

Killer guitar sounds! The kick is way too clickey for me.

The song sounds great otherwise. The vox get a bit swallowed at times but it suits the tune fine.

That kick is bugging me though.

Awesome for 16 or 38.

I'm only a newbie here, so I don't carry much weight. I can only tell you what I did and didn't like.

The mix sounded relatively good to me, overall. Nothing jumped out and smacked me in the face, which puts you in the top 40% of what I've listened to.

Your drummer is the shit. Keep him. If he's only 16 or so, you have a true prodigy in the making there. Very "Tool" or "Meshuggah" sounding. The guitars are okay, but a little thin for me. Give a little "Korn" punch to them and try to think outside the box on chord progressions. Is there a bass guitar in this song? I didn't read through all the posts, so you may not have one, but it sure doesn't sound like it. A thick bass would really give it some balls.

Lastly, I'm sorry, Mr. Vocalist, but your singer needs some work. The vocals made me cringe a bit, and that's saying something, considering how bad I suck as a vocalist.

To wrap up: impressive song, overall. It kept my attention, and it had some real imagination in some parts -- mostly in the drums, but a couple of nice guitar riffs in there. I didn't even start playing music until I was 19. So for 16-year-olds -- not to be "age-ist" -- you sound really f-ing good. Don't stop. Just work on your vocals and try to be a little more imaginative in your chords progessions and lyrics. If you mixed this yourself, you have a pretty talented ear for such a young musician.

Hope that helps, some. It seems to contradict what some others said. Sorry.

That was Twisted I was commenting on, by the way. Just listened to Cry. Most of the same comments apply except for the fact that your vocalist did a better job on that and it was much more imaginative on the guitar. This one impressed me quite a bit more. Very nice job. Still need more balls in the bass area, though, and I have a pretty nice subwoofer. Thanks for considering my comments.

Thanks again for the comments

I couldn't do much about the songs themselves musically because it wasn't my band, I just recorded them. Same goes for the vocal peformance.

But yeh the mix is probably a bit bass shy. This could be because it's in mp3 format so it loses some lows. I also might try doubling the guitars a bit more to make it fuller.

Thanks again for listening
Tukkis:cool:

outstanding. this could definitely find it's way on to the radio.

i really really really like that drummer.

impressive stuff tukkis.

5 stars for you!

HeyYA!

Im listening to all 3,

Great sound you have going - absolutely love it!

That Drummer IS good.

You said the vocals were hurried?? I think you should charge them for another day next time and get him to redo!

i think toms need a little more reverb - to get a sort of alien ant farm sound.

Mate, LOVE IT!!

heheh

y

I'll echo all the positive comments.....you have a good handle on things considering you're still learning. I'm impressed!

One thing......jake is right.....you really should consider filling in that kick sound. I'm not sure I would take click off as much as I'd try to fill in the lows to maych that click.
Good recording.

Back