first mix of rock guitar and drums...

calmlikeabom

well i posted this in another forum and i didint see this! thought i might get some more feedback in here

well the song is at

just guitars and drums.. i think the guitars sound pretty good for raw no EQ or anything.. my mainm problem is getting that good sound on the drums... any ideas on EQ effects or anything? recorded the drums with all good mics condensor overhead 57s beta 57 and beta 58 all mixed down to a single track

so hit me up guys and gals!

I percieve the EQ on the guitars to be horrible.

It is extremely flat, which is horrible because the riff is so flat and boring that at least it should have some dynamics in sound.

The drums likewise are very very flat, each tom sounds the same -there's no presence on them at all.

The bass drums, for all the kick pounding cannot be heard at all without really listening, because they are not hitting any of the bass frequencies!

While the riffage is horrible boring - it would be fine with vocals overtop, but the basic sound of both guitars and drums is just so flat - anyone who wasn't a trained producer wouldn't pick up that there's tom fills going on at all.

so other than tearing my anus could u suggest some better settings? as i said.. the GUITARS are RAW no EQ at ALL .. i came here for help..

calmlikeabom said:
so other than tearing my anus could u suggest some better settings? as i said.. the GUITARS are RAW no EQ at ALL .. i came here for help..

Sure, sorry. And MIght I add that despite it's simplicity it's incredibly good. The drums are very complex which I like - and I don't always require heavy riffage in a song. It's a damn good track man.

Ok - so on the guitar you're just running them through an amp and micing the amp or what? Because the amp should have EQ right? I mean it's simple EQ but it surely should sound better than that.

Perhaps it's the mic you're using - how good is it?

Let me know the guitar setup to the hard disk, and I could give a recommendation.

As far as the drums, are the mics going right to the hard disk - because even a simple mixer should have enough EQ to help sound better than it is.

k well guitars JCM 2000 DSL with 1960 A& B cab for our music we actually liked the guitars sounds almost identicle to pantera... i have a sm57 off axis on the a cab speaker running to my ol broke ass analog 8 track tascam studio 8.. to my delta 44 to cool edit pro. we recorded each guitar part twice and i panned one far right and far left

drums were going threw the same mixer. drummer is gone for a month.. and the recordinng u hear has some crap piled on it from cooledit.. are there some plugins i should get that i might be able to use to eq the set better and bring it out more?

I got you on the pantera thing. Exactly what it sounds like.

There certainly should be some cool edit plugins - if not an EQ coming with it.

You guys are good enough that I'd recommend getting some additional hardware.

How does the amp sound itself before the mic? Does it sound like the mic is losing the nice texture of the guitar?

If so maybe a better mic is what you need - I would certainly get some sort of EQ.

Ask in the cool edit section for an EQ plug in ...

calmlikeabom said:
well i have a 10 20 and 30 band EQ on there. what frequencies u think i should tweak? also ideas on the drum eq?

Well since your music is pretty good - I would suggest buying an EQ you could use for both the drums and the guitar. It's certainly a staple of a studio anyways. Perhaps this one:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...47047194894/g=rec/search/detail/base_id/57828

But I still don't understand how the sound could be that flat with your currenty setup. So my main question is does the guitar sound that flat to your ears coming from the amp, before the mic???

and for the drums - I presume the drums sound fine themselves - I would not imagine drums would be that flat with just mics....

...so perhaps the placement of the drums is bad?

kick inside bass drum in center? mics one inch from drum heads?

cymbals 2 feet or so above?

guitar sounds great. i beleive theres a mid scoop on it, but we are really happy with the guitar sound. its perfect for our music. but the drums them selves sound really good, we just need to beef them up and give them a kindof warm room sound, the drums sound great live, they are in the corner of our 15x15 room with like 15 inches of insulation on every wall toms and cymbals are held by a gibralter rack, all cymbals are A and Z customs

calmlikeabom said:
guitar sounds great. i beleive theres a mid scoop on it, but we are really happy with the guitar sound. its perfect for our music. but the drums them selves sound really good, we just need to beef them up and give them a kindof warm room sound, the drums sound great live, they are in the corner of our 15x15 room with like 15 inches of insulation on every wall toms and cymbals are held by a gibralter rack, all cymbals are A and Z customs

Ok lemme give you the low down.

If your guitar sounds good out of the amp - then compare it with coming after the mic, from the mixer.

See how different it is, or the same.

Do the same with the drums. just do process of elimination, and follow the sound at every step.

if you have some headphones plug them in right after the mics - and then on the mixer out

and then to the compute rout.

Just find out where it's changing so much.

As long as the mics are placed properly it must be part of the equipment.

if the drums sound nice in the room - try using the mics as room mics rather than right on the drums.

lol problem is my drummers gone for a month :( i think the drums might sound crappy due to my half ass EQ job and such that i tried out on the mix u hear what are your suggestions as far as EQon the drums?

Woah! I wouldn't recommend version 2 - sounded a little whacky there.:)

The basic problem here as I see it is there is absolutely no low end on anything. It kind of sounds like it's coming through the telephone. Did you lop off everything below 300 hz or something?

The playing is very tight and undoubtedly adding a bass would help balance out the sound, but there's definitely a lot of eq work to be done here. And if you're gonna do a tune with just guitar and drums the guitar is gonna have to be bigger than that. Compress the snot out of it, double it, triple it, boost the low end by a million db, do something, but get it bigger!

Chris

k welll. sorry for my slow response last night, i haev a fast pc out at the studio and a slower 700 MHZ at home and i use a portable harddrive so i can mix at home.. but i didnt have my USB 2.0 card in last night so it was bit choppy.

Does anyone else notice the weird sound the drums have? I'm sort've a newb so i'm not sure what it is but they make my ears feel REALLY weird. Like you spaced out the mix to the max, it sort've sounds like it's playing inside my head and not the speakers? I'm not really sure what that is, maybe just alot of reverb? It's pretty scary :D.

Overall boost the low on guitars and DOUBLE it, it should sound 10x better this track NEEDS doubling of the guitars. That's what i think anyways :P

the guitars ARE doubled on every part but one where it sound very week and they are panned hard left and right drums sound like ass on the baser2.mp3 now sound like there in a hallway

much better :D

The drums still sound funny to me, but i really can't put my finger on what it is. The guitar has been really brought out and i like that, maybe up the voluem a bit more but unless you're doing a bunch of other changes i wouldn't worry about it.

Back