First CLINIC post....Thanks Toki!

hey bdbdbuck

I think everybody did a really good job on covering the mix.

This should be a pretty good song once your done inplementing everybodys tips. :)

Well written.. good work!

"Yeah, earlier in the thread I fessed up to burying that one in the mix"
The trick is to "comp" it out of the track completely. :)

Doug H said:
"Yeah, earlier in the thread I fessed up to burying that one in the mix"
The trick is to "comp" it out of the track completely. :)

Doug,
I don't know what that means.....I'm a little thick! It won't be that tough to just re-track it. That particular guitar track was originally meant to be the underlying track with the other one being the primary lead. It's a good example of how people hear things differently....Toki put that one up front because that's how he heard it. I'm fine with that.... it's just another example of how I can be lazy at times and it just doesn't work in the studio.

JMarcomb,
You're so right about getting the mix covered... it's gonna take a while to digest all this. Thanks for the listen and the compliments!

bd

bdbdbuck,

Thanks for posting a tune man... nice job.

Without going back and reading the entire thread (yeah yeah... I'm lazy ;P) I'll drop a few comments...

I love the emotion in your voice when you really start to push it... it would be nice to get that same sort of emotion on the quieter sections at the beginnings of the verses... I'd also raise the quiet vocals parts up in the mix just a hair (I'm listening on garbage speakers right now though).

Your voice reminds me of kind of a Semi-sonic meets Tom Petty meets Barenaked Ladies kind of thing :) Pretty cool.

Nice guitar work... reminds me of some Eagles stuff. Not a huge fan of chorused guitar... but its a matter of taste really not so much a matter of it being wrong.

Since the song is a fairly repetitive pattern, you might also look at some other ways to make various sections of the song stand out a little more... drop an instrument, add something else in etc... you kind of did that as the song built up, but it would be nice to have a little more variation.

All in all I am nitpicking here, because it was a nice song as it stands... there's just always the part of me that can never leave well enough alone ;P

Well done.

Velvet Elvis

VELVET ELVIS,
Thanks for listening! There's a bunch of stuff in there that's fixin to change. Toki and I are both going to re-do some of this stuff. I learned so much just by posting in this clinic! Now if I can only implement some of the suggestions I got, I'll be good to go! Thanks again man, I'm looking forward to getting your CD.

bd

I finally found time to listen

Nice stuff. OK, the vocals were a little rough, but I like it that way. Kind of a David Bowie type of sound.(you ever see the movie Labyrinth?) Keep up the good work.

Thanks sloop,
Never saw the movie, I'm going to Ohio for the 4th...maybe I'll look it up and watch it while I'm sipping a few brews with my brother-in-law. He may even have it! Most important thing is to drag my old drummer out of the local tavern over there and make him do some trax for me. Best drummer I ever had....I don't think he drew a sober breath the whole time we played together! He quit playin a few years after I did, but he still has all of his equipment. Hopefully, he can still remember how to play! Thanks for listening and postin up the compliments! Have a nice holiday.

bd

bdbdbuck said:
Doug,
I don't know what that means.....I'm a little thick! It won't be that tough to just re-track it. That particular guitar track was originally meant to be the underlying track with the other one being the primary lead. It's a good example of how people hear things differently....Toki put that one up front because that's how he heard it. I'm fine with that.... it's just another example of how I can be lazy at times and it just doesn't work in the studio.

bd

I may have misunderstood, I thought that there was a sour note that you had originally hid in the mix and it resurfaced later in a mix by another. Comping tracks is mixing two (or more I assume) takes to get the best of each.

I was trying to add some integrity to the act of deleting a split second of audio on an otherwise good take, ie, comping with a blank track :).

Thanks Doug,
No, You didn't misunderstand.....I just didn't know what the term "comp" meant, But that's exactly what I had done in the original mix.....covered that bad boy up with the other guitar track. At least I know what it's called now!

bd

Bump!

I am so tardy on this, but it's a good tune.

Performance is good too.

Pretty good mix for a rush job, T-man.;)

Yes, I read through the replies while listening. Several times. Sue me.:D

For someone who's been on such an extended hiatus, you don't seem to have lost "it". :)

Back to the top!

Hey, M Brane - thanks - I missed this one the first time around.

Yes, good song, good performance, good recording - it's been said and covered. Question time: I play mp3s in my editor, so I can see the waveform, and yours is fairly modest in its amplitude. Why didn't you normalize this one? Were you trying to keep it on the quiet side? I avoid butchering the mix just for the sake of loudness, but I do take advantage of headroom to make the mix as loud as it can be - it might save somebody having to get up and turn up their player.

M.Brane,
Geez this thing keeps gettin bumped! Thanks for the listen and the fine compliments.... but alas, I've lost skills and techniques that may never return due to the lack of time I have to play now versus back in the day when I played 8 hours a day for the most part. It's comin back....slowly!

dobro,
Thanks for the listen man! I try not to normalize... I'm just not normal! But on a more serious note, I'm not sure about how Toki did this. When I record, I leave plenty of headroom watching the indicators on my recording equipment, and when I do my mix, the first thing I do is track by track take everything to about -9dB. Then I start mixing... I just don't enjoy clipping and my stuff is sometimes a bit "spikey"... caused mainly by my lack of experience. It's probably not the right thing to do I'm sure... but I'm open for suggestions.

bd

Back