First CLINIC post....Thanks Toki!

It started out a little thin sounding but had me going by the end. I liked the closing guitar stuff.

I liked the vocal phrasing and melody a lot. Good pitch. The performance was a little aggressive for my tastes. I think this song needs better vocal treatment, like a wider dreq response and maybe a more intimate sound. Unless I missed the point, it's a slow build up vocal piece, not entirely different than a "Mr Jones" type thing, which I like, so I think the vocals should be gritty and in your face.

Toki's a 5th dan blackbelt rythm section. I thought the dreamy backing suited the song well.

Doug

yippee

Clean

Liked the tune bd (aka: dad). I heard you hit a few highs that I had thought (in the past) were out of your range...but, lo and behold....you were holding out on us!!! As always your guitar is clean and deliberate...it spoke, cried and concluded like a story should be told.

Ok, enough....I'm gonna puke (softpeddling)!

No, really, I loved it!!! It's starting so sound like you are blowing the carbon out to get a fresh new vocal sound (after a couple thousand miles...it's necessary).

Ok, question...Kings Gold...Gospel did the vox? You two sound very similar!

good tune....love ya!

(Anyway, Gospel owes me a song. So, if you see him...remind him!!!)

Doug,
Thanks for the spin. I gotta go with ya on Toki's rhythm section, I've always liked his stuff and was really wanting to do something with him. He also has a good ear for the mix and did some things that taught me how important it is to pay attention to detail when recording....especially if someone creative is going to do your mix! My stuff has some flaws that when I mix I can cover up, but to do it right like Toki did, everything has to be pretty much right on.
I would like for you to expand on your suggestions for the vocal treatment.....I'm a little thick, sorry.

KID,
Thanks for the glowing review and the gushing softpeddling! Uh...Gospel blows me away! Are you kidding? Anyway, I'll remind him.luvya

bd

Ha! Are you telling me your little girl posted in the clinic before you?? She tested the waters and you saw it was ok to jump in the pool?? :D ;)

Well good entry Buck Rogers, i finally understand the "bd bd bd bd oK buck" thing now.

Toki did a very good job, the ending is definitely the strongest part in my opinion. Your voice I like and the melody line to the vox is good but I would watch a few areas for performance. The highest parts tended to warble sometimes for me.

Glad to have you on board

Yo Bd sr.

You got some real emotion into your vocal!
I like the guitars near the end, but I was even more
impressed with some of the tasty guitar stuff mixed
into the rest of the song.

Well thought out. Good first outing!

The vocal could have been a little less strained,
like I'm one to talk:)

Khompy,
She always was the adventurous type! Honestly most of the stuff in this forum is far better than mine, but I'm getting closer. Toki did such a good job performing and mixing on this one, I had no choice! It's not so bad though once the initial anxiety goes away. The vox......well I never was very good, but I'll get my voice back one of these days. Thanks for listening.

Hevy,
I appreciate the comps on the guitar man, you're pretty damn good your self! So that makes me feel pretty good! Oh well the vox has always been my biggest problem...I have improved though, give me a couple more months and I get up to mediocre!

bd

bdbdbuck said:
Doug,
I would like for you to expand on your suggestions for the vocal treatment.....I'm a little thick, sorry.

I was just referring to the overall sound of the track. "dreq" response was supposed to be "freq" response.

I think the vocals could be warmer with more lower frequencies. There's something harsh about them, like maybe too much eq'ing going on. I could also hear them dryer but that might blow the mix.

bdbdbuck said:
Got some help from a friend and it turned out really good. Toki was kind enough to add drums, bass and keys for me. This incidently is his mix, fresh off his NWR site. He did the mix after having been awake for like 28 hours......It sounds pretty damn good to me! I can't wait to hear the .wav version!

"Powerless"

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2834&alid=-1

bd

vocals are terrible. find someone who can sing.

Re: Re: First CLINIC post....Thanks Toki!

amazing_critic said:
vocals are terrible. find someone who can sing.
This fucker needs a good ass stomping:cool:
Man I love the emotion in the voc's! Sounds like a pretty good mix, i'm having to stream so I really can't tell:) . I like the vocals, lot's of feeling in them..that's what makes it for me. Great gtr work, fade out wasn't all that:D . Good tune bro..

I`m glad you posted this bdbdbuck. I think your work on this merited a listen by the folks.. :)
I think the lyrics were very intense and emotional, thats what grabbed me about it. I also do like the style it was written in, ( if Lt. Bob reads this, he referred way back in a post long ago about a guitar player I think we both have run across before) this sorta reminds me of that georgia boy's style.

The vocal was cool and sung well, but it had a few transients and some low levels, so with the limited gear I have, I split it and ran one track thru a tube compressor to even out the levels. Another track went thru the compressor with everything shelved under 1000 and upsloped to around 6k to get more definition, and I delayed it a few ms`s and allowed it to feedback x2 to smooth some sibilance. The original track is just under the other two but low level , so there`s actually 3 vocal tracks. I used the original kick and snare and pasted from another set on them and added some hats and cymbals and few tom rolls, which when I remix it again, will be squared away and not sound so machiney and blah. I couldnt get the piano pitch to jive right with the two guitars so I scrapped it and used strings from the Korg to give a touch of canvas on the backside. The guitar tracks I just verb`d a little so they`d mesh. The bass was done last and is a little too hot. I just played straight into the board with the tube compressor.
Definitely not the best I could have done for Mark and offer is open to do another with more intensity, but at the time I had worked all night, and spent the rest of day after getting home with this tune in order to get him something listenable and appreciable. I am excited, as he is I hope, to see him post one here This tune will be revisited again.

I have another week or so on night shift and then I`ll be back semi-sane again.

Way to go "bdbdbuck"!!! :)

Last edited:
Doug,
Thanks for coming back with that response. As you can see by reading Toki's post all that stuff is like greek to me, I never would have even known to do all that stuff, much less how! Now when I read your explaination, I understand what you're talking about.
I'm quite new to recording, but I'm learning from a great bunch of folks here on this board.

A_C
Well, what can I say but.................Fuck you very much!

freshears
Man, don't pay any attention to that dumbass. He's becoming the alterego here. Thanks for the listen...the vocal performance WAS pretty rough...I'll give him that much! I DO appreciate the encouraging comments though!

Toki,
I've said this before, but I'm gonna say it again....You are the man bro! BUT....IF you are going to re-do some things, Let ME re-do some things as well! I learned a LOT just by listening to your mix, and found myself wishing I had done some things differently. Like maybe use the tuner more often...you know stuff like that. I also need to pay more attention to detail, instead of thinking I can cover it up in the mix. IF you're into it, I'll send you a fresh CD when I'm finished re-tracking, or you can send me a CD when you're done...either way will work for me. Thanks again bro, you encouraged me to get in here and get with the program and I'm glad I did. It's a pretty big stairway I'm lookin at here though, LONG way to the top! I got a great bunch of guys showin me where the loose boards are.

bd

thank you bdbdbbuck, your a great fellow and I`ll be happy to help you when you get ready, your call. But I`ll have to pass the kudos for anything I've learned about the "how to", right on up to Sam, Track rat, Dach', Pipeline, Reel', participant, Kramer, Sluice, WATYF,Guern', daf', FLG. Gidge, Steve, Al, and many more in along list... they know who they are, from lot's of listening, reading, and handing them a fresh cut of what I might think is steak and it coming back like hamburger... yet served back gracefully.
I`m still steppin on a few loose boards here too my friend as a homereccer. Thankfully, this is a great community of extended hands, in case you do slip... :)

CyanJaguar,
I know the post you're referring to, I'm just not real sure exactly what you mean here. I can tell you that I'm just an old dinosaur trying to get back into my music after a 17 year "vacation". I can offer some advice, but I'm afraid it's a bit dated. I'm more than willing to help you in any way I can, the advice I gave you was most likely based on past experience....though without going back and reading it, I really don't remember much about what I said.

Kramer,
I believe it was a thread Cyan posted in the marketing/publicity forum. He asked for advice and got some......in my judgement, maybe too much.

bd

cool!

Solid vocals, though I would like to hear some backing vocals. You could also do some guitar fills through out, before the closing guitars. Speaking of which the harmonized guitar solo is nice and tight, good sound and clean chops.

Well done,

Dara

mcmd,
Thanks for the glowing review Dara, the guitar thing is something I thought a little about....it's like the ending solo comes out of nowhere. I'm not real sure how to do that and not get that overkill thing going. I'm not a real big fan of filling up all the empty spaces with a guitar riff. If I can figure out a way to make it flow, I'll definitely do it. Thanks for reminding me, I didn't think about it until you mentioned it.

bd

Thanks James,
When Toki and I re-do it, I'm gonna work real hard to make that build a little smoother. I really appreciate the comps.

bd

Back