Firewire Preamps and PC Express Card

frankthetank727

I currently have a PC that has no firewire ports. I am looking into buying a new interface, and I don't really want to get a USB one. I am highly interested in the MOTU stuff because you can daisy chain their interfaces but only via optical or firewire according to the employee to whom I spoke. But here is my question, does anyone know if this:

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-ExpressCard-Firewire-Adapter-EC13942/dp/B000RKUKMG

would actually work with a firewire interface? I currently have one of these with usb3 ports and it seems to work fine, but I am just skeptical about this one because its a big commitment to buy an interface and this adapter and have none of it work. I don't know if anyone is familiar with these express card slots/adapters but if anyone thinks it would work just fine then I would consider gettting it. It would be nice to actually have these firewire ports and have them work flawlessly. Also, I am running Pro Tools 9 so I am not sure if Pro Tools would give me some problems in recognizing the hardware if its through one of these cards. Thanks.

I tried this last spring with an M-Audio ProFire 610 and my laptop. My results weren't what I hoped for.

I tried three different PCI FireWire adapter cards including the Sieg model suggested by Avid on their website. The best I could ever get out of it was a clear input signal that had a layer of distortion that didn't respond to any change in dynamics from the input source.

I hope it works out for you, but just the same...keep your receipts.

Motu REQUIRES a TI chipset.

The known good adapter makers are SIIG and Belkin.

Try it out but as jazz noted, keep your receipts and send it back if it doesn't work perfectly....

Back