Votes: 2 7.1%
  • 4.0 ms

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • 6.0 ms

Votes: 6 21.4%

• Total voters

little guy

hi,

lastnight i installed my brand new firepod. i have a couple questions. first off let me tell you that i'm running windows xp with a celeron 2.7 ghz processor with 1gb of ram.

1) how do the firepod control panel CPU settings ("High" "Medium" "Low") effect your computer? what do they do?

2) just out of curiousity, what is your latency setting? how are things running at your setting?

High, medium, low specify the amount of power you will allow your Firepod to draw from your PC.

I don't actually have a Firepod, I have a Firebox. I have a Asus AV8 Deluxe, Asus GeForce 6800gt, 1gig KingMax, AMD Athalon64 3200+ and I run a latency of 6ms with no dropouts or any of that crap

your recording sounds nice by the way

Monkey Allen said:
High, medium, low specify the amount of power you will allow your Firepod to draw from your PC.
Noooo!

this is wrong.

The CPU setting actually (supposedly) optimizes your audio buffers for better performance, but from what I have seen, anything but medium is useless. I have tested this thoroughly on 2 computers, 1 of them has a dual-core CPU that can handle a lot of computations and the CPU setting does nothing useful but introduce popping and clicking when in high or low.

my latency on the dual core system is 4ms, but its not CPU based, its reliant on the firewire controller's quality. The CPU has little to do with it in that system.

I concure with the "medium" assesment.

I can't run my firepod with a fw hard drive in the chain, it's gets all clicky (usb 2.0 seems to work fine, though).

Also, if you are using a laptop, make sure to turn off your wireless - this can save some headaches...

I run a Pc pentium 4 3ghz with 1g Ram and have my firepod latency at 3.5ms - works a dream. I am still amazed that I can have such a powerful recording setup at such little cost.

yeah definatley medium is the only setting to go with. i run at a 6 ms latency with a p4 2.4 ghz and a gig of ram. i recently purchased a second firepod for more inputs but found that even with the newest drivers and tons of advice from the presonus tech that they just wont run that great together. i actually just sent it back. digi 002 rack is my future goal.

Yeah, too bad about the "using more than one Firepod" thing. I haven't really read of a lot of people having success with that. I lost faith in Presonus tech. and sold my Firepod.

wow you had trouble getting multiple firepods to work???

i've run 3 together now twice and use two together the rest of the time, did you update the firmware on the firepods?

Back