Finally, I'm building a mic collection, now I need your advice

billmcdonald

I'm placing my order in a few weeks, and I want some advice on my purchase. This is what I'm getting, unless you guys can show me that one of these mics is terrible, or theres something better for that price.

Audio-Technica AT3035
Price: $199
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AT3035/
750-AT3035_img_lifestyle.jpg

I was thinking two of these for drum overheads.

Audio-Technica AT4047
Price: $550
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AT4047/
AT4047-large.jpg

I wanted a nice LDC in the $500 price range, and this one stood out to me.

Shure SM57
Price: $80
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SM57/
SM57-large.jpg

3 of these, for toms, guitar cabs, and anything else I feel like putting it on :cool:

Shure Beta 57a
Price: $140
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Beta57A/
Beta57A-large.jpg

Snare mic, possibly use on cabs for overdubs.

Rode NT5-S
Price: $200
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/NT5Sing/
NT5Sing-large.jpg

Hihats, or anything else I felt needed a SDC.

Audix D-6
Price: $200
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/D6/
D6-large.jpg

Kickdrum and bass cabs, duh.

Comments and suggestions please. Thanks alot guys :)

Will these be your first and only mics? D6 seems to be a rather extreem color mic if it's going to be called on to do general kick and cab' duties.
The Beta 57 seems slightly redundent and not particulary unique.
Wayne

For what its worth, I prefer small dia. condensers for my overheads. If you could spend a little more, a Sennheiser 421 would give you more options/flexability over the D6.

A pair of sE Electronics SE3 small diaphragms condensors at about $650 (or maybe less during March at Front End Audio) would be a nice choice for OH's as opposed to one (or two) RODE NT5 (s).

Not sure why the AT 4047 AND the AT 3035.... :confused:

A nice tube mic might be a better choice than buying the 3035 since the 4047 will give you a nice solid state LDC.
The CAD M9 tube mic at $299 might be a thought.
Or the RODE NTK or Studio Projects T3 in the $499 price range.

I agree with the 421 over the Shures fer sher................... ;)

Bill, you've picked a bunch of mics that a lot of us started out with. We replaced most of 'em. Mics we kept include:
CAD M179-all around the shop, will do anything from toms to overheads
Sennheiser 421 - as many as you can grab, cabs, drums, vox in a pinch
Oktava MK012 - the SE is probably a better bet nowawdays but the Studio Projects or Marshalls are okay too
Audio Technica 4040 - does it all, cabs to vox to overheads
Rode NTK - nice Tube though I think the K2 might be a better deal now, plus if it's your only major mic it may be a bit bright, that CAD M9 (or as high in the CAD line as you can get) Studio Projects T3 with a tube replacement is VERY NICE!
Shure 545's are a bunch nicer to my ears instead of 57's, though 57's still get work around here , the 57 beta came and went, too exciteable and a tad thin
ADK also makes some great vocal mics, We have the Hamburg and the Vienna gets raves too!
Good luck and remember, if you like it and can use it and make good recordings, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.
ps here's your kick http://cgi.ebay.com/AKG-D112-D-112-...215QQcategoryZ41464QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItemunless unless you can swing an RE20 (which would also cover your dynamic vox)

I just want to save you some bucks, but looking at sweetwater for gear is great, I do it all the time. But when it comes time to buy, run your model numbers by one of the staff at fullcompass, you prolly would save enough to get an extra 57 or two :eek: .

Do you have a budget $$$ you are working within?
What you've shown totals about $1500.

As an AT3035 alternative, Front End Audio (FEA) is selling the CAD M179's for $199 plus: :eek: The following items are included FREE with this product:
1 of HotWires 20 Foot XLR Microphone Cable & Strap ($19.00 value!)
1 of CAD MZM-5 Elastic Shock Mount ($29.95 value!)
1 of CAD EPF-15A Nylon Popfilter ($39.00 value!)
For $400 then, you have your overheads and 2 respected multi-pattern multi-purpose LDC's

Otherwise, FEA sells the stereo matched pairs of SE3's for $649 and is selling sE Electronics stuff for 25% off in March so that drops to $488! A very nice pair of SDC mics indeed!

I own the cardioid-only CAD M9 tube mic and it is a real "best buy" as per comments I've read here. I've tracked vocals and acoustic guitar with it and it sounds very nice. Adds a nice "shimmer" on the top end but not brittle.

There are deals out there and I'm sure you know how to find them! :)

homestudioguy said:
Do you have a budget $$$ you are working within?
What you've shown totals about $1500.
Yes, I'm also buying some other stuff, but for mics I'd like to keep it arround that price range (Total). A little bit over or under is no problem though.
As an AT3035 alternative, Front End Audio (FEA) is selling the CAD M179's for $199 plus: :eek: The following items are included FREE with this product:
1 of HotWires 20 Foot XLR Microphone Cable & Strap ($19.00 value!)
1 of CAD MZM-5 Elastic Shock Mount ($29.95 value!)
1 of CAD EPF-15A Nylon Popfilter ($39.00 value!)
For $400 then, you have your overheads and 2 respected multi-pattern multi-purpose LDC's

Otherwise, FEA sells the stereo matched pairs of SE3's for $649 and is selling sE Electronics stuff for 25% off in March so that drops to $488! A very nice pair of SDC mics indeed!

I own the cardioid-only CAD M9 tube mic and it is a real "best buy" as per comments I've read here. I've tracked vocals and acoustic guitar with it and it sounds very nice. Adds a nice "shimmer" on the top end but not brittle.

There are deals out there and I'm sure you know how to find them! :)
Who is CAD? I've only seen those mics in extremely cheap drum mic pacages. They look cheap :confused: but I really dont know. I dont want something thats going to break on me. Do you have some sound clips of work you've done with this mic? Do you think its better than the mics in its price range? Sorry if I seem stupid, but I'd wrather ask questions than regret a purchase. :) Thanks alot guys.
SRR said:
I just want to save you some bucks, but looking at sweetwater for gear is great, I do it all the time. But when it comes time to buy, run your model numbers by one of the staff at fullcompass, you prolly would save enough to get an extra 57 or two :eek: .
Yeah, I wasnt going to buy from sweetwater. I was thinking about guitar center because theres a guy I'm talking to up there who is really nice and helpfull and I'd like to go through him. I'll check out fullcompass too though and see what their prices are like, I forgot about them. Thanks.

Yeah I'll echo that getting a couple M179's is better than a pair of 3035's...Also, the 4047 isn't bad...but I'd get a 4050 or an NTK before that...

Instead of a beta 57 get something different...like a Beyer M201TG or a Senn e609...the 57's are great, but get something that will be quite different, not just slightly different. I have both of these and I love the 201 on snare and the e609 on cabs. I'd get a D112 instead of a D6 (personal preference) and the Mk012's over the NT5's (again...personal preference).

Lastly, I will say that I often try to get my mics used. You might object to this, but you save quite a bit of money...actually I try to get all my gear used. There are somthings that should be bought new...but mostly you can save yourself lots of cash if you search a little...

Jacob

Once again, I greatly appreciate the mic suggestions/comments, keep em coming guys. I will look into those mics.

About the Beta 57, I've read in a review (not an internet review, but one in a magazine) about a guy who used 57's on snares forever and now he uses Beta 57s because they sound better. And whenever I've seen a Beta 57 used on a snare, live, it sounded good. Now, I dont know if this is because of whatever gear + who ran sound, or if its because of that mic, but I just know it sounded awesome. So thats why I wanted the Beta 57, because I think the Snare is an essential part of a mix, if the snare sounds bad then it tends to make the whole mix a bit weaker in my opinion :p and I'd like a special mic for that. So if you guys could point me in the direction of some great snare mics that would be cool.

I'm buying alot of gear, not just mics, and I really dont have the time to go through ebay. Its just too much hassle and I'd really like the security of having something new. Thanks for the suggestion though!

A great snare sound is a total experience... the snare itself, the room, the player, the mic, the signal path, the monitors, the eq...

Yes a 57 will do the job, maybe a beta 57 will do better (I don't think it's anything much better - but the Beta 58 is better than the SM IMO), and I think that if that guy you mentioned with the beta 57 on snare tried a Beyer M201TG he'd start swearing by it!

My snare is a Black Panther Maple, with a Beyer M201TG on the top and an AT pro37R (SDC) on the bottom.

Jacob

CAD is Conneaut Audio Devices based out of Conneaut, Ohio.
Here is info on the M9
http://www.cadmics.com/m9.htm

Here is info on the M179
http://www.cadmics.com/m179.htm

FYI-Warren Dent,from Front End Audio and who regularly frequents this site, has written a number of positive comments about a number of the CAD mics as have many others who don't sell them. I have seen many positive comments about the M9 that essentially say that it does a whole hell of a lot and sounds really good especially in light of the price.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Live/Sound/Microphones/Wireless?sku=270771

Also, the sE Electronics SE2200A is a nice LDC mic with a relatively flat response and sounds real smooth to me. I was involved in an A/B test with the SE2200A and an older (better as far as many) 70's Neuman U87 and heard a lot of similar characteristics between the 2, however, the U87 definitely has some added high end presence not found in the SE2200A but the SE2200A is only $299. :rolleyes:
http://www.seelectronics.com/

There are photos of the M9, SE3 and SE2200A on my website FYI....

Last edited:
well bro, I definitely understand buying mics on a budget, and think that it's a good idea to get the beta 57...

sm57s are an obligatory buy...

I would go for a 4050 instead of the 4047. it's about the same price, and the 4050 is pretty darn transparent.

As far as overheads go, are you going to mic toms separate or just leave it up the the overheads to pick them up??? either way, I suggest picking up a couple AKG C2000B's while they last. $160 a pop, and each comes with a free set of K44 headphones and the H-85 shockmount. The mics are a medium sized diaphragm, and they have a 10dB pad and low cut. this makes them good for overheads... if you want to pick up the toms, don't use the low cut (you'll lose a little on the cymbols, but they will still sound pretty good)... and if you want to catch just the cymbols, slap on that low cut and let it shine!!! plus, these mics sound great on guitar cabs, and pretty decent on upper range vocals (especially female)

I own a D6 and love it... BUT!!! I love the attack it brings to the table. someone said it's a little colored, and that is pretty true, but I happen to like it's color for my music, and with a little EQing you can do just about whatever you want with it. If you want a boomier mic, build one out of a 8-10" subwoofer you have laying around somewhere, set yourself up a kick tunnel, put the homemade subkick at the end of the tunnel about 3-4 feet away from the head, and put the D6 inside the kick angled at the beater for attack... wallaaaaahhhh!!! a great kick drum sound!!! well... depending on your style of course...

I have an MXL 991 SDC and I love it!!! it's a pleasant surprise... only thing is they only sell them with the 990... not individually. But, if you get the 990/991 set, it's only $99... then you have the 990 for anything else you might need an "extra mic" for. The 990 is ok on certain things... like as an ambient room mic.

Rode NT1-A... great for vocals, pretty damn good on acoustic guitar, and it's the same price... $199

Good luck,

Jacob

Well, everybody has got their favorites, that's what makes building a mic cabinet such a pain in the ass. My best advice is this- Generally, buy mics that are respected and have been for years. Not only is it more likely that you are not buying the latest fad, but they will probably last for years, and if you don't like them, you can sell them for a good percentage of what you paid for them. I also believe that less is more. In other words, buy fewer, better, mics. I think it's better to start with proven workhorses, and if you can't get everything at once, start with the basics.
For beginning, you need a couple of small diaphagm mics that can be used for overheads, stereo recording, ensembles, acoustic instruments, etc. You need 2 04 3 good, cheap dynamics, and one or two better quality dynamics. You need a dedicated vocal mic, probably a large diaphragm condenser, a multipattern workhorse condenser, and a kick mic. A tube mic is a good addition as the second vocal mic. Here are some of my picks. Note that aside from some cheap dynamics, none of the mics I will suggest are particularly cheap, nor are they top of the line to die for. They are mid priced mics proven in major studios:

Small diaphragm- Shure SM81, Josephson C42 (pairs)
Cheap dynamics- Lots of people love Shure SM57. I prefer Sennheiser e835 or AKG D770
Better dynamics- Sennheiser MD421, Shure SM7B
Workhorse- AKG C414B-ULS/TLII/XLS/XLII, Shure KSM44, Audiotechnica AT4050
Main vocal/large diaphragm FET mic- Soundelux U195
Tube mic- Studio Projects T3, Audiotechnica AT4060, Rode NTK/K2
Kick/Bass- AKG D112, Audix D6 (or as suggested above, MD421)

Of course I could go a lot cheaper, or a lot more expensive. This, however, I think you can take to the bank. Very few people will tell you that any of the above mics totally suck and are useless. Also, you will have very little trouble selling any of them for most of what you paid for them. Just for jollies, let's do the same for fairly cheap, and to die for-

Fairly Cheap-

Small Diaphragm- MXL603, MXL604, Oktava MK012, AKG C2000B
Cheap Dynamics- No change
Better Dynamics- No change,
Workhorse- CAD M179
Main Vocal- MXL V67, Oktava MK319
Tube Mic-MXL V69, CAD M9
Kick/Bass- Audiotechica Pro25

To Die For-

Small Diaphragm- Schoeps CM6
Cheap Dynamics- No change
Better Dynamics- No change, except add Sennheiser MD441 and Electrovoice RE20
Workhorse- Soundelux ifet7, Microtech Gefell UMT 70s/ UMT 800
Main Vocal- Neumann U87 (pre-ai), B.L.U.E. Kiwi, and *any* of the workhorses above. At this level, it's all good.
Tube Mics- Many, many, possibilities, but some favorites include B.L.U.E. Cactus/Bottle, Brauner Valvet/Phantom-C, Neumann U47, Soundelux U99, and Lawson L47.
Kick/Bass- This is tough, because there aren't too many really badass kick mics out there. The pros seem to like vintage AKG D12's, and Electrovoice RE20

What it comes down to- List 2- price of a good used motorcycle. List 1- price of a used compact car. List 3- price of a used Lexus. Hope this gives you a few things to look at.- Richie

Disclaimer- these are just my favorites/wish list, and there are many, many more perfectly good mics, and I haven't even touched on ribbons. Also- anybody is allowed to hate any of those mics, or believe they are overpriced.

Back