Finally DONE! Any Mix Tips - Rock Band :)

JPlush76

hey all, we just got finished a little home recording demo for the band, wanted to get your feedback on mixing tips because I have a coal miners ear :)
haha

thanks!

I listened to "Direction". The vocals need to come up - WAY up.

I can barely hear them amongst the instruments.

Not sure how much of this was tracking...and how much of it was EQ - but everything has a very "muffled" sound to it. Like, the guitar at the beginning etc.

The sound really isn't bad...and it could have a cool indie rock vibe if that's what you were going for.

I actually really like the melody...but, it's hard to make out since it's so buried.

Seems like the lower mid frequencies are pretty jumbled...between the bass/drums/guitar...

Esp the bass guitar, feels like it doesn't have much room to breathe down there. maybe try cutting some of the lows out of the electric - and cutting around 200 or so on the bass so that the kick drum will come through a bit more.

this really isn't bad...it has a vibe. i like the voice too...reminds me of incubus at places.

-wes

thanks for the review wes!

I'm still pretty much a newbie, so I didn't eq anything

just threw some verb on the vox and thats it

when you say cut the bass out at 200, what in laymans terms does that mean? :o

I know your talking about the eq freq but where do I change that(using cakewalk sonar) and do I just drop that freq all the way out?

it definately gets muffled and I wasn't sure the problem

Well, first off...as far as throwing verb on the vox, that could be the first problem as far as your vocals getting so back in the mix - although your level probably needs to come up too.

Something I just recently learned was to use "predelay" on the reverb for lead vocals...which will basically give you the "trail" and studio sound of reverb...without setting it back in the mix so much. I am sure your Sonar plugin has a predelay setting..play with that.

As far as dropping the frequency out entirely...no...you just want to drop it out some. And, it may not be 200 exactly...that was just a ballpark.

Sonar should have pretty good mixing capability...try to use the EQ tool, play around with different freqs. until you hear say, where the kick drum has the most "punch". then, take a little of the bass out at that frequency...to let the kick drum come through and coexist nicely with the bass...instead of them just fighting it out. You can do the same type things with all of your parts...

Like, if you wanted your snare to have more "snap" to it...boost some of the high mids a bit. It's something you have to play around with a lot...I'm certainly no expert.

but sonusman is.. ;)

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19596

read through that thread...it will give you some great 'newbie' advise, and hopefully help you out with your mix.

you're off to a good start - what kind of equipment are you using?

here's what I got so far

Pentium IV 1.8mhz comp with 700 meg ram, sb live platinum soundcard

Cakewalk Sonar

Tasmcam 788 digital portastudio(live drums)

echo gina input system 2 ins 8 outs

maudio pre-amp

shure ksm27 condenser mic

guitars, basses, drum machine, misc mics

behringer composer pro compression/limiter/gate unit

Nice tune(direction),but there seems to be an overuse of compression on the drums especially.There is also not much high end sheen.Add a couple of db's at 14kHz on the overall mix and it will add a little gloss to it.

It sounds like the whole track could use a remix.Did you mix this on fresh ears or after listehing to it over and over?Fried ears can be deceptive.It's a good song with a good hook......just needs a little mixing help.

The vocal is getting lost because the guitar,Bass and snare drum are competing for the same space.

I dont hear much stereo imaging either.Everything seems to be bangin straight up and down and thats a problem because it makes everything sound like mono midrange mud.

Take a day off from the tune and do a remix and see what happens.

Good song despite the mix problems.Nice dynamics.

*cough* I have to admit, I got my outboard compression unit the day I started loading my drums in the computer

lol

I may have gone a little overboard on em, yes :)

I really don't have anything panned, everything is centered

This is my first real try at the home recording process for the band

JPlush76 said:
*cough* I have to admit, I got my outboard compression unit the day I started loading my drums in the computer

lol

I may have gone a little overboard on em, yes :)

I really don't have anything panned, everything is centered

This is my first real try at the home recording process for the band

Re-mix it and leave the kick,snare,vocal and bass guitar straight up and down.

Try moving the first guitar off to one side a little and throw the crunch guitar to the opposite side of the clean rhythm.

With everything straight up and down there is no room for anything to breathe.

Im sure you have good enough tracks to work with,you just need to re-mix and move things around.

Are all the drums and cymbals on the same Track(s)?

Decent piece of music.

I would also say that the vocals are too far back in the mix. I thought I heard a couple of pitch issues and "bobbles" with them too (e.g., 1:11).

I'm not sure what's up with the "clean channel" guitar. It almost sounds like it was recorded through a closed door. Maybe that's the tone you were going for. If that's the case then stay with it. But if it were me I would definitely retrack it with a slightly crisper tone.

The "distorted channel" guitar comes on a bit too strong. It's a bit too high in the midranges.

Some of the cymbal crashes are coming through a little loud.

I heard a skip at 2:08.

if it breaks

first i think this song kick's ass!! the only mixing comment i have is about the drum's, where are they??? they get washed out really bad:( and this song really deserve's a punchy kick, but it's barely audible.

great song( i just wanna hear those drum's!!!!!)

but then again, maybe it's my can's??

thanks for posting!

peace

rick

Hey dude,

I checked out "If It Breaks".

First off, I dug the tune. Nice dynamics and flow. Vocals were performed well and sat nicely in the mix. I might suggest some reinforcement backup vox on the chorus, to give it more of a push and an edge. The gits have the power but I don't think the mix delivers them well. Maybe a wider pan and up in volume. Kinda get the rhythm section mean and pumping (drums more presence) and then stick those vox in to finish the fight.

Nice tune. I wish I could be more technically benificial in this post but, I don't have it in the head yet.

Good stuff that is bound to get better:)

Theron.

Nice solid performance and everyone else has pointed out the things you should work on. I basically agree with them all. But this is good for a first effort! If it were my tunes....I'd go through everyone's comments and that sonusman thread and apply it to the next one. You can probably do a lot with these songs by remixing them and learn a lot in the process. The songs themselves are nice and as your ears get trained I think they'll shine. Thanks for sharing. ;)

I'm tired as hell right now, Jim, but are these new songs? As in, not on your demo done with Jim Wirt? Isn't that who produced your other CD? Anyways... I'll check it out tomorrow or something, AIM me or FTJ IM me or snag me on the forum tomorrow and remind me. Late.

yea, these are new tunes that aren't on the cd

we're doing some pre-prod on the songs for recording in fall

everyones comments rock! I appreciate it, I'm going to open up the songs this weekend and work out all these tips. I guess I should really get a pair of monitor speakers.

Hehe, coooool.... new DD songs. ^_^

Yeah, check ebay, you could get some good monitors there for fairly cheap... I've seen a bunch of Tannoy Reveals, some NS10s... good shit.

good start i think. good basic material to work with but....i basically agree with all of the above comments. lot's to work on here. i'd start with brining up those vocals. can't hear them.

tf5_bassist said:
Hehe, coooool.... new DD songs. ^_^

Yeah, check ebay, you could get some good monitors there for fairly cheap... I've seen a bunch of Tannoy Reveals, some NS10s... good shit.

hey holmes :)
I sent you email on here, did you get it?

Back