Figure-8 mic needed for MS micing

j0nas

Can anybody recommend a good, solid figure-8 mic for less than $500, please?

I want to test and try out some MS stereo micing on drums, acoustic guitars and maybe vocals.

The problem is that I can't find any cheap (<$500) figure-8 mics. I was thinking on getting a SD, but maybe a ribbon will do too.

I first looked at AKG's Blue Line mics, the SE 300 B with the CK 94 figure-8 capsule. But the CK 94 capsule costs more than twice the price of the CK 91 cardioid capsule... so CK 94 is not an option:(.

I have two good MID or center mics already: SM81 and AT3035. So what do you recommend as the figure-8 mic?

I will also need some sort of MS clip. Will AKG's H300 work or should I get Shure's A27M mic adapter (costs more than twice the H300). Shure's clip may also work with my LD mic (AT3035), or???

Thanks.
Jonas

Thanks for your answers...

So there aren't any SD figure-8 mics under $500???

I'm going to find out the price here in Sweden for the M-130 ribbon mic. Maybe that's the best one. The SP mics... i don't know. I was more into a SD or ribbon.

Which one is the best figure-8 mic of the three suggested:
1. Studio Projects C-3
2. Studio Projects B-3
3. BeyerDynamic M-130

More suggestions?

Thanks,
Jonas

Is there an M130? I know there is an M160 which I was able to find a $499 price on (but it lists at $699). There's an M260 too.

I know Schoeps and Sennheiser both have SD figure-of-eight mics, but I believe they are closer to $1000 than to $500.

Last edited:
Groove tube AM-52 is an FET multi pattern mic. I've used mine for MS stuff with very good results. The AM-62 is the tube version. These were going dirt cheap a few months ago. I'm not sure of their cost or availability now though.

For something really cheap, try two SM-58s (or any other cheap cardioid) back-to-back, with the phase reversed on one - get the elements as close together as possible. I think it might work - what does Harvey think?

- Wil

Wil Davis said:
For something really cheap, try two SM-58s (or any other cheap cardioid) back-to-back, with the phase reversed on one - get the elements as close together as possible. I think it might work - what does Harvey think?

- Wil
Except for the bodies getting in the way a little bit and blocking some of the sound, yes, that does work. I'd use a pair of MXL 603S's, and you don't have to flip the polarity when you use two mics in this arrangement for the "S" part of an M-S pair.

Harvey Gerst said:
Except for the bodies getting in the way a little bit and blocking some of the sound, yes, that does work. I'd use a pair of MXL 603S's, and you don't have to flip the polarity when you use two mics in this arrangement for the "S" part of an M-S pair.

I take it you don't bother with the decoder on this 3 mic variation?

All you need are 3 channels on a mixer, with the ability to pan 2 of them right or left. You don't really need a special decoder. See other threads about this - I have to dash out here - squash game calls, will check later... byeeee!

- Wil

I really don't want to use three mics for my M/S recording.

It looks like only LDs or ribbons are my options. The reason I don't want to use a LD or two cardiods as figure-8, is the size and the configuration with stands etc...

Except for the M-130 mic and also found another option that I will look into tomorrow. It's a mic from a small Swedish mic vendor called Line Audio (www.lineaudio.se). They have some sort of multipattern mic which can do M/S, X/Y and more, directly within same mic body. They (Line Audio) call it QUADRAPHONIC. Here is an link to it: http://www.lineaudio.se/linemic.htm (it's the QM12 QUAD mic)

QM12 costs 4000 SEK + tax, in total around $500. I will most likely be able bring it home and try it before I buy it from the store close to where I live. What do you think? Does it look alright?

Harvey, what do you think about QM12 (how about the self noise etc)?

Thanks,
Jonas

I've been to their site and the idea is intriguing, but I'd be very worried about phase cacellations and off axis interferences from closely spaced multiple capsules.

I'd really like to hear some of their mics. I think it would be a "love it / hate it" kind of thing - not many opinions in between.

Harvey Gerst said:
I've been to their site and the idea is intriguing, but I'd be very worried about phase cacellations and off axis interferences from closely spaced multiple capsules.
Yes, it looks weird, 12 membranes and so on.

Wouldn't the phase cancellation be worse with two cardiods. I mean, the capsules must be much more closer in QM12 than one can achieve with two regular cardiod mics (like SM-58s).

Harvey Gerst said:
I'd really like to hear some of their mics. I think it would be a "love it / hate it" kind of thing - not many opinions in between.
My homestudio isn't up and running yet, but perhaps I can manage to record something (drums maybe) with QM12 and post it to this thread. I'll see what I can do after I've talked to the music store tomorrow my time (CET).

j0nas said:

Yes, it looks weird, 12 membranes and so on.

Wouldn't the phase cancellation be worse with two cardiods. I mean, the capsules must be much more closer in QM12 than one can achieve with two regular cardiod mics (like SM-58s).
No, we're talking about four capsules all pointing in one direction, and four more capsules pointing in the opposite direction. Reducing the four capsules to just one should eliminate most of the phasing problems. It would be similar to tying four SM-57 into a bundle, assign them to separate tracks, and then recombine the signal in mono to hear the differences. The high frequency off axis stuff would get very strange as each capsule receives different information.

For something really cheap, try two SM-58s (or any other cheap cardioid) back-to-back, with the phase reversed on one - get the elements as close together as possible.

If you had a pair of mics already then wouldn't that defeat the purpose of M/S? Why not just do X/Y?

I've never played with M/S micing so I am really asking here ;)

Yeah, you're probably right Harvey.

What's the easiest way of detecting/verifying phase problems, on for instance drums? What do you suggest Harvey, I really would like to try it if I get the chance of testing this mic.

Back