Female Vox: What Do You Reach For?

hookiefree

When women with soft, girly voices call to track pop vox at your place which mics do you reach for? Which pres?

Big Kenny said:
advil, tylenol,aspirin

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good luck man...pop, by its very nature, generally requires something of an agressive voice.

I have no clue what mics or pres would be good for it, but let me just tell you that compressers are your friends :D

Seriously, I have had good luck ( yes luck) with my toft atc and an RE 20, also used a senn 441. I think any pre will be okay as long as you compress it on the way in (maybe again in mix) I have had great sounds out of my CAD m179 on plosive male voices in the omni setting, haven't tried on females yet

Warhead said:
Is "I reach for the female" an appropriate answer??

:D

War

freaking pervert

004.jpg

I'd reach for a Sure Sm58.

Warhead said:
Is "I reach for the female" an appropriate answer??

:D

War
This one is a lesbian and would have me reaching for a band aid if I did that.

I want a copy of that Adrian u lucky bastard. That dual monitor set up is so sexy!

hookiefree said:
This one is a lesbian and would have me reaching for a band aid if I did that.

I want a copy of that Adrian u lucky bastard. That dual monitor set up is so sexy!

Naw, that's not my studio. I lifted that pic from somewhere else around here so it's gotta be another members studio. Maybe Farviews?

Put the Sennheiser 421 on your shortlist too.
The "safest" 421 versions would be anyone other than the new one (421 MKII),
which has a brighter tone.

The SM57 can work great too, although it's going to be more fussy regarding which pre you use. They sound bad, for example, on Mackie XDR mixer pre's.
IMHO with something like a VTB-1 or DMP3 (on up) they can sound fine.

Chris

My first try will be the M149, next I'll try the MXL V77 or V69, the Beyer M88 or M69.

One of these mics will sound great on the female who owns the voice.:D

AT 4060 thru a GT Vipre or a KSM44 thru a Great River..I tried a ADK TC thru a Vipre it was pretty nice also.I gotta try it thru a Great River..Also a AEA R84 thru a Great River ..Also tried a AT4033 thru a OSA A..It was on a guy but hes a girlyman :D So maybe that counts :D

AdrianFly said:
Naw, that's not my studio. I lifted that pic from somewhere else around here so it's gotta be another members studio. Maybe Farviews?

Nope, I just checked. No lesbians in here. Maybe there is somewhere I could rent some.

Oktava MK319 into Joemeek twinQ. Or C414B-ULS, or AKG C2000B, or if all else fails, AKG D320B (an SM58 equivalent). The Oktava has proven to be a workhorse w/ female vox, and I used 3 women vocalists on my recent project album.-Richie

Richard Monroe said:
Oktava MK319 into Joemeek twinQ. Or C414B-ULS, or AKG C2000B, or if all else fails, AKG D320B (an SM58 equivalent). The Oktava has proven to be a workhorse w/ female vox, and I used 3 women vocalists on my recent project album.-Richie

Humm.Oktava MK319..gotta check that out :)

So many choices is right Henri. Thanks fellas that's a lot of good info. Now I have to find a place that has a lot of these mics and will let me test them out on my baby's mama.

Back