Feels Like Starting Over

tomteriffic

Hi folks, relative noob here, but not new to the biz. I've been out of the game for a while and still have a decent recording computer rig, mikes, etc. But my I/O interface has gotten nice and obsolete. And kind of broken. And out of business. :mad: I'm looking for suggestions for an I/O rig.

Requirements include that it be at least and 8X8, since I'll be recording live situations including full drumkits. My mobo is a fairly recent high-end ASUS that has a firewire port on it, but I've never tried it. I've heard that some I/O's are really fussy about the firewire chipsets. So, that's a big "if". Also, optical I/O is nice and midi is a virtual must. Price is a consideration also, but stability, support and reliability are just as important, if not moreso.

System is a P-4, gobs of RAM, fires up and runs just fine and all that.

So tell me, what should I buy?

Last edited:
i just got done taking a hard look @ the tascam fw1082, and it sounds like it has everything you'd need - 8 analog ins, 2x midi i/o, spdif i/o, and firewire connectivity. also functions as a control surface, and sells for $600 through most retailers.

only downside is that there's only 4 preamps, so if you want to track 8 channels, you'll have to find 4 channels of outboard, and run into the line inputs on the tascam. i've also never heard anyone state that tascam's customer support is anything better than horrid, so that's a definite con right there...

but still, if you're talking straight bang-for-the-buck, i think it'd be hard to beat what that unit offers.

Those 2 are on the short list. Anybody have an idea on the quality of the support from either of these two companies?

Thanks for the info so far.

My Layla 3G has been nothing but wonderful. 8 ins, 8 outs, s/pdif and adat input, got it to sync up with my SM PR8 mkII no problem with both the PR8 as the master clock and the Layla as the master clock. Sounds great, rock solid drivers.

Back