Feeling Low (et. al.)

K-dub

I remixed and remastered our 2020 release. This is my band, "Who We Are" - or more who we were. The pandemic disbanded us on what was a temporary basis, but then our drummer got hit by a softball in the head while doing security at a college and suffered a TBI. So we don't know if we'll ever assemble again. We'll see. Ever hopeful.

This is a jazz-blues number. I wrote it, but I don't sing on it.

Last edited:

If you're of a mind ... should you enjoy the capper on the release, here's the rest to give a listen to!

Have a great Saturday night!

That's tragic for your drummer. I hope he comes right. He's laid down a real slinky groove on this one. Snare is crisp, kick has great weight and doesn't get in the road of the bass. Your vocalist is no slouch either. Guitars are tasteful. It all hangs together really well. Good job

That's tragic for your drummer. I hope he comes right. He's laid down a real slinky groove on this one. Snare is crisp, kick has great weight and doesn't get in the road of the bass. Your vocalist is no slouch either. Guitars are tasteful. It all hangs together really well. Good job
The tracks were almost complete when I got it in my head to invite Keith, my drummer's brother in law (who plays in a cover band w/ him) in to take a whack at lead vocal duties. Although I'm perfectly capable of singing my own stuff, Keith's timbre added a character I thought actually better suited for the material than my own. At my age, ego left my musical endeavors long ago - and so I stepped aside and wholly appreciated his taking the pieces to next level.

Only ONE of us didn't sing lead on this collection - and JJ just doesn't didn't have a timbre suited for any of the pieces.

Also, Frank's (drummer) first gig since his freak accident was JUST this past weekend. He's not singing yet, but he was finally able to get behind the kit and play.

I enjoyed that...elements of it evoke a smokey Tom Waits vibe...everything sits together nicely and your singer did a good job. The solo at 1.52 was a little too much high end in my left ear but they may just be the poor quality earbuds I had in..Nice work, hope your drummers on the up. 👍

I listened, but just for the sake of the tune, which I liked a lot. No mix comments on this earbud listen, except for that nothing got flagged.

I remixed and remastered our 2020 release. This is my band, "Who We Are" - or more who we were. The pandemic disbanded us on what was a temporary basis, but then our drummer got hit by a softball in the head while doing security at a college and suffered a TBI. So we don't know if we'll ever assemble again. We'll see. Ever hopeful.

This is a jazz-blues number. I wrote it, but I don't sing on it.
excellent!

Last edited:
Hi EyeSupreme!

Very thorough. Thank you!

The drums are recorded live, and so I'd need to use a drum replacer to swap out the sounds. The problem with that is some of the subtlety always gets lost when employed. I DO, though, know EXACTLY what you mean. Those wires are the bane of the drum solo ... rattling around in the background as Frank bangs away. I've got the toms enveloped, but also hear the ring you mention. I'll check that out also. I tend to lightly compress the drums, but will check out the crispy cymbals also. They were recorded w/ Mitek small diaphram condensers ... so they weren't cheap mics.

Bill's bass is faithfully recorded the way it went in ... and there's just not a lot of low end in the tone. Trust that I tried to "flesh it out" more. I might play w/ distorting it a little more to give it a more unique signature.

The most curious part of your excellent review is the lead vocal leaning left. I have a widener on it, but it is panned dead center. I'll relisten and see if I can discern why you're hearing it that way.

Thanks again!

Back