Feedback needed on singing and vocal processing

thompssc

Hello! I just wrote this on Sunday and decided to record it just to get it down before I forget how it goes. I'm looking for feedback on the actual singing, but also on the recording/processing as I'm extremely new to this. I recorded it with an SM58, maybe 4 inches back from the mic since it's way too boomy if I get right up on it, through a TASCAM US-1800 and processed it using Reaper. Here are my processing notes:

EQ: Rolled off the lows at ~150 (that's where the dot is, but it actually rolls off completely around 80, not sure if I should say 80 or 150 to describe "where" I'm rolling it off). Slightly took a cut around 600 Hz, then had a high shelf boost above 3k pretty significantly.

Comp: Set it to "Modern Vocal" and might have nudged a slider here or there, but didn't mess with it much

Delay: Set to "vocal fattener" but I turned the wet signal down so that it's not noticeable.

I'm still trying to figure out how to EQ my voice, and since it's "my" voice it's weird to hear it no matter what, so I'm curious how it sounds to objective ears. Also, to me it sounds a bit flat- I'm sure part of it it is my singing talent, which I can sort out with more practice and by deciding how I'm actually going to sing it, but what can I do from a mixing perspective to get a good professional sound beyond what I've done already?

Lastly, any input on the actual singing is also welcome. What can I do better? I know there are some pitchy moments, so nailing down the melody and eliminating those is an obvious to-do, but how's my tone? I've been working on breathing form my diaphgram, trying to get a less "stuffed up sound". How am I doing on that front?

https://soundcloud.com/scott-thompson-45/angel-in-the-sky-first-demo

I appreciate any advice you all have!

Back