Favorite Concept Album

Prince amongst thieves by Prince Paul featuring various artist. Hip Hop. I think it's pretty cool. It's almost like a rap musical.

Frampton Comes Alive rocked the 70's.

Everybody said The Wall. I concur.

Sgt. Pepper was groundbreaker for those goofy long haired guys from Limeyville.

Huge fan of concept albums... let me think of the ones I can still think of... ;)

As far as Floyd goes:

THE WALL
Animals (personal favorite)
Pros and Cons of Hitch-Hiking -- Actually Roger Waters solo
Amused to Death -- ditto

Beyond Floyd:

Radiohead - OK Computer
Pumpkins - Machina (took me a while, but it hooked me)
The Cure - Disintegration (yes, it is)
Blue Oyster Cult - Imaginos (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Disintegration?

Yes! Disintegration is absolutetly amazing! As far as the concept goes, it's also tied to Wish and Bloodflowers... supposedly they form a kind of 'emotional trilogy'. Speaking of Bloodflowers... far and away the best thing The Cure have ever done. I get shivers whenever I put that record on, especially when I hear "The Loudest Sound" or "39"......

Chris

Tommy - The Who
Welcome To My Nightmare - Alice Cooper
The Wall - Pink Floyd
Journey To The Center Of The Earth - Rick Wakeman

Langleyt, I saw the Wakeman tour of Journey to the Center back when it first came out with the full orcestra and inflatable monsters and the whole shmear. Holy Cow! I still feel it was one of the best concerts I've ever been to.

Track Rat said:
Langleyt, I saw the Wakeman tour of Journey to the Center back when it first came out with the full orcestra and inflatable monsters and the whole shmear. Holy Cow! I still feel it was one of the best concerts I've ever been to.

That's cool, and I bet it was great!. Maybe you can tell me then, since my husband can't even though he is the one who got me interested in JTTCOTE cause he knows I love anything to do with keyboards and music, was that album made while Wakeman was with Yes like a solo project? Or was it something he did later? I know, dumb question, but just curious.

t

Journey to the Center of the Earth was made while Rick Wakeman was still in Yes, but he quit the band the same day the album went to no. 1 on the charts in the UK. He rejoined the group a couple of years later, only to leave and return several more times over the next two decades. Yes has never gotten along personally and there were ego and musical direction problems in the group.

Yes just released the video "Keys to Ascension" recently, from a 1996 concert. It's one of the best tapes with R. Wakeman and I highly recommend it for fans of their older songs. The production value is a little cheesy but they are playing at the top of their game on that video.

Yea, that's when Patric Moraz joined the group as keyboard player. Then they all did solo albums, a few of which were concept albums. Jon Anderson did Olias of Sunhillow, Chris Squire did Fish Out of Water, Steve Howe' I can't remember the name of for the life of me and Moraz did I.

Track Rat: Steve Howe - "Beginnings"

"Olias" is a fantastic concept album. It still sounds fresh to my ears. I've never heard anything quite like it since.

"Queen II" is sort of a loose concept album with its "Side White" and "Side Black." That and "A Night At The Opera" are the best things they ever did, IMHO.

Bruce

That's it! Thanks. That was bugging the shit out of me. I dug the Roger Dean stuff on the jacket.

I have to vote for "The Wall." If for no other reasons, it is one that a lot of other concept albums are compared to by the "professional" reviewers. (Sometimes I get the feeling that the term "professional reviewer" is an oxymoron, kind of like "Military Intelligence.")

One concept album that came out in the early 1970s was "The Ultimate Prophesy" by J. D. Blackfoot. Does anyone remember this album. I still have a copy of it in vinyl. It was way ahead of its time.

wow, great thread, so much great music

Here are mine:

Pink Floyd : Animals and Wish You Were Here
Alan Parsons Project : I Robot and Tales of Mystery and Imagination/Edgar Allen Poe
QueensRyche : Operation Mindcrime
Roger Waters : Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking and Radio K.A.O.S.
Marillion : Misplaced Childhood

and so many others, concept albums rock

Back