Favorite Concept Album

Senor Cactus

Kind of a survey here. What are y'all's opinions on concept albums? What are your favorites? By concept album I simply mean a whole album that has a unified theme or story.

I love these things (the ones I've come across, anyways).
Some of my favorites are:
"Scenes From A Memory" -- Dream Theater
"Operation Mindcrime" -- Queensryche

I'd be really interested if anyone know of ones outside the realm of Rock.

Marillion- Brave one of the most original and dramatic albums of the 90's. Dream Theatre totally ripped this album off when they did "Scenes From a Memory". It's not surprising because they are Mike Portnoys' favorite band.

Genesis- Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. Very surreal. Not a great storyline but has a lot of amazing studio magic.

Jethro Tull- Thick as a Brick Don't know what the hell the concept is, but the melodies and arrangements are very intricate and beautiful.

Thick As A Brick is supposed to be about Ian Anderson's childhood... damned if I get that connection.

Aqualung is another good one, about man and religion.

My personal favorite concept albums are probably Quadrophenia, by the Who (youth and fitting in), and All The Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes, by Pete Townshend (middle age).

Chinese Eyes isn't really rock. But if you're looking for a concept album that's even less rock, how about The Lexicon of Love, by ABC? Pretty simple concept, really - good lovin' gone bad. But I love it.

Oh, another album, that isn't very rock - that you could argue is a concept album, would be Morrissey's Your Arsenal. It's loosely based on the downfall and Westernization of the British Empire.

Quadraphenia- The Who
Olias of Sunhillow- Jon Anderson
Tales From Topographic Oceans-Yes
Damn near all the albums by Jethro Tull (Ian Anderson's one of my heros)
I-Patrick Moraz
666-Aphrodities Child

I've always liked Tommy by the Who - this was really the first "rock opera" so it warrents a vote for being a groundbreaking attempt.

Hey Track Rat - you're dating yourself with Aphrodities Child - that really goes back several years - but it was a very hip album. There can't be that many people hip to that album - or who have brain cells left to remember it. I still have mine, but it's pretty beat up - played it at way too many parties.

Brain cells? We don't need no stinkin brain cells.
I know what you mean. Mine's playable but just barely.:D
How about Nektar- Remember the Future
And Triumverat (is that spelled right?) Illusions on a Double Dimple and Sparticus

Concept albums rule!

By far, the greatest is The Smashing Pumpkins' "Machina/The Machines Of God" and "Machina II/The Friends And Enemies of Modern Music."

Besides that, Nine Inch Nails' "The Downward Spiral" or David Bowie's "Ziggy Stardust".

As for non-rock concept albums, word on the street is that Dr. Dre's upcoming "Detox" is a concept album...
Whatever.

Chris

OK..it's kinda twisted, but a metal band called "Macabre" did a 26 song album documenting the life of Jeffrey dahmer. Incredible musicians singin about fucked up stuff

The Wall is definitely right up there for me, but as much as the boys may disagree I think that Radiohead's OK Computer is the greatest concept album ever.

Oh also love Beach Boy's Pet Sounds, The Orb's Orbvys Terryvm and Sasha and Digweed's Northern Exposure:Expeditions
Probably some of you guys won't agree that some of these are even concept albums but they do it for me.

Laj

"Paradise Theater" and "Kilroy Was Here" -- Styx

Kinda stretches the definition, but:
"Point of Know Return" -- Kansas
Definitely an album with related themes running through it, anyway.

Glad someone mentioned "The Wall" -- Pink Floyd.
It had to be said.

I hear Barry Manilow is coming out with a concept album where all the songs are about different apartments in the same building. I probably won't hear any of it but it almost sounds intriguing.

I had no idea "OK Computer" was a concept album. I'm almost starting to get turned on to Radiohead. Maybe I'll give it another listen.

I suppose these Rush albums qualify. If I remember right they're all 1 side concept 1 side songs.

2112 - 1st side
Hemispheres - 1st side
Caress Of Steel - 2nd side

Hey Senor Cactus,

If you liked the Wall, I think you'll definitely love OK Computer. While it doesn't have a relatively clear cut storyline (obviously the movie helps) it not only flows beautifully from one song to the next, it is, in my opinion, a gravely accurate social commentary. Changed my life and many others for that matter.

Laj

Animals

Orwellian....ya know.
The Wall is cool but, Animals is better (my opinion only)

It's rarely credited, but OK computer is a loose concept album

Truth is, Radiohead's "OK Computer" has been credited as kind of a concept based album. The oppression of the corporation, the marketing gods, ...a very dark concept album.

Very circular as well...First song on that album starts out with a guy surviving a car crash with an airbag, and the album ends with a guy in the passenger seat telling the idiot to slow down cause he's going too fast. You could follow the story of a guy whose life is changed, and it's ups and downs from the first song if you really wanted to.

2nd place...Sgt. Pepper's LHCB, By le Beatles...I think that was the first one, wasn't it?

RB

Back