"Fallin"

Your not only in the ballpark, I think you hit a home run!
first of all its a really good song. Catchy melody & tempo is right on, the guitars sound great as does the lead & BV'S
A couple things really stand out to me, its very tight as it should be but doesn't sound programmed. Flows really well.
And think the balance you have in the mix is superb. Great job!

What are you doing for drums nowadays Johnny? Aside from that snare, I really like the kit here. Awesome mix choices at 1:55. Solid mix, as usual

What are you doing for drums nowadays Johnny? Aside from that snare, I really like the kit here. Awesome mix choices at 1:55. Solid mix, as usual

Still using Superior 2.0, never upgraded to 3. I like to think I'm getting a little better at molding them to what I want them to sound like, but who knows. Just used the default kit. This tune I didn't want to have overpowering "rock" drums, and for some reason thought the piccolo snare fit it best. Maybe a fatter snare might be better. When you said "aside from the snare" did that mean you didn't really like it, or like it? lol

The turn-around section that starts around 1:55 that leads into the solo I actually struggled with ideas, with not wanting to go over the top, cool that you mentioned it. It's just some extra synths, a few effects, and my voices doing some "eeee's" (an idea I got from Rush, listen to "Prime Mover" I think you'll like that tune actually, if you've never heard it) I tried to be subtle with all of it, yet ambient, expressive, and expansive at the same time, was tricky actually. Pretty pleased with how it came out.

Listened again, I said have put "1:51", where the "over my head" part starts. That whole section sounds really cool. I didn't like the snare sound that much, but that's just a personal thing. I'm sure it's just fine.

Catchy well structured tune...mix sounds ace and your vocal reminds me of a young Michael Stipe in parts...really like your acoustic guitars on this....what effects / eq are they run through?

Mark

Catchy well structured tune...mix sounds ace and your vocal reminds me of a young Michael Stipe in parts...really like your acoustic guitars on this....what effects / eq are they run through?

Mark

Believe it or not, I tracked the rhythm acoustics with a good ol' SM58, pointed near where the neck meets the body, like 6 inches away, a Taylor 816ce. I recorded the song over a year and a half ago, before I got my nice condenser. Didn't do vocals until recently. The acoustics then went through a C-12 emulator, Slate Virtual Tape Machine, Slate Console Collection (SSL-G), Slate Hollywood preamp, Slate Distressor, A few eq's (Slate and Waves), And a CLA-3A at the end of the chain. Can't say enough about the Slate stuff, it's fantastic.

There's also soft electrics matching the acoustics for most of the song, used my Fractal Axe Effects for that. Just a low gain Boutique setting.

Back