Storm - Acoustic Cover

andrushkiwt

Hey guys, yet another acoustic tune up for review. Not sure how many more of these acoustic's I'll be doing, but probably another couple. This one is a song by Lifehouse called "Storm". Not really a Lifehouse fan at all, but this tune is very good, in my opinion, and I thought I could put my spin on it with an acoustic version. There are some folk who claim a religious spin on the subject and lyrics, while I just don't see it that way. Pretty open and adaptable lyrics here, and they could certainly pertain to a few areas of life...but whatever floats your boat!

The biggest challenge, in my view, was decreasing the pick noise/scrape that was very present in the raw guitar file. I tried a few different things to decrease it (wasn't able to rerecord) and what worked for me (or so I think) was using a de-esser on the guitar bus from 4khz up. At the most, the pick scrapes drop by 8db, but the release is set very fast (around 1ms, I think), so it shouldn't be too noticeable when it's happening.

I tried some new stuff here as far as synth bass (present from intro) and brushes on drums. I did not plan for drums when I recorded the guitar, and that made it difficult to sync up in spots, so I had to edit/chop guitar parts into time, and move MIDI notes around to match up a live feel as best I could.

Special thanks to Ray [MENTION=185561]Robus[/MENTION] for his help on numerous "is this working?" PM's. I'm sure he's just as glad to see this done as I am. :) thnx man.

How long have I been in this storm?
So overwhelmed by the ocean's shapeless form.
Water's getting harder to tread,
with these waves crashing over my head.

If I could just see you,
then everything would be alright.
If I could just see you,
this darkness would turn to light.

And I will walk on water,
and you will catch me if I fall.
And I will get lost into your eyes.
Know everything will be alright.

I know you didn't bring me out here to drown.
So why am I ten feet under and upside down?
Barely surviving has become my purpose.
Cause I'm so used to living underneath the surface.

I've never heard this song before...GREAT SONG!
I can see where it would work for a Christian artist lyrically. in fact, I may learn it to sing at my church (the only "live" music I do these days).
I'm really impressed with the mix. You've done a wonderful job of getting a fat tone with plenty of meat and bottom end... without it sounding flabby and muddy. Hard to do IMHO.
Good job on the guitar editing, I didn't notice any edits.
As always, fantastic recording!!

I'm really impressed with the mix. You've done a wonderful job of getting a fat tone with plenty of meat and bottom end... without it sounding flabby and muddy.

Thanks Jimi. That's the new Superior Drummer 3 and a brush kit within. Then, for bass, the DAW's synth vst. I appreciate the listen and feedback. I'm glad the mix worked for you.

Did you check out the original?

I can see where it would work for a Christian artist lyrically. !!

Jimi, I don't understand this comment. Is this cover from a Christian band?

Other than the "Walk on water" line I don't interpret the lyrics as Christian.

But anyway, back to the mix...I really like it. Except to me the low end is a bit too much for an acoustic arrangement. It's right on the fringe of muddying it up. Just from ear, it sounds like the fundamental itself in the bass is the offending frequency, but you can put an analysis on it and see what's popping out. I'd cut it 3 to 6db and reassess.

Other than that, the mix is actually excellent. It's your best mix yet other sans the low end issue. Jimi liked the low end, so maybe it's a preference thing. To me it's objectively too much for the style, but I could be wrong.

I particularly like the treatment you gave the vocal -- subtle and effective. I also had never heard the song. Amazing amount of great music in the world.

No nits on the mix. It doesn't suck. :D

Very much enjoyed this listen.

Still sounds good. I like the weight of the bass. I don't agree that it sounds unnatural with the acoustic. It's not an "unplugged" kind of mix. For one thing the acoustic is super loud. The bass needs level to hang.

Vocals sound great, man. You could trim off that static at the beginning.

Back