External USB2 hard drive - fast enough?

Razor1548

Hello people,

I am using a laptop with one internal hard drive, and from reading in various places online it seems clear that I need a dedicated hard drive for audio.

To save the difficulty of fitting an internal drive (which may not even be possible, though I am guessing the floppy drive could be removed to make space), I am planning on using an external USB drive.

Is this likely to be fast enough? The laptop is a fairly recent model with Athlon 2500 processor and 512Megs of ram so I believe the single hard drive is my number one performance ‘bottle neck’ at the moment.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

How many tracks are you tring to record with the laptop? What audio interface will you be using with the laptop?

Ed

Ed Dixon said:
How many tracks are you tring to record with the laptop? What audio interface will you be using with the laptop?

Ed

Tascam 224 (using N-Track and Reason 2.0 more often than not).

I rarely record more than 4 tracks at the moment. That probably won't increase beyond 6.

Cheers

I use USB 2.0 hard drives for backup & archiving & from time to time I find that I need to run a session from the external drive instead of the internal one. I have never had problems with it. I am running XP w a MB w builtin USB 2.0 ports but I had substantially the same experience with Win98SE and a PCI USB port.

Back