External SB Extigy

badgas

I just learnt that his box is not recognized by Sonar. Even with all the propaganda SB tosses at 'cha.

I've a 2 GHz processor
512 MB ram
XP home edition.

Quick, gimme some ideas of what a nice, sonar/xp compatiable card would be, internal or external.
I'm almost out the door with my box and to the comp shop for a free labor install.
Thanks.

Pedullist said:
Don't listen to Moskus (he recommended the Terratec 6fire) ;)
Thanks for the tip, Pedullist. I appreciate that. You probably just saved me another trip into town.
I don't know how to repay you for your kindness.
Oh, wait, I do have something.
How about some nice 12x8 inch high color glossy photos of Jake shaving his legs? They are so spindely it's pathetic. Good for a laugh though.

Hey, Pedullist.

I've done a bit of research on that card.
Most people say, as I found out, that creative puts a ton of bull shit in their 'our card can do this and that and,,,,'. I've also been to a dozen or so bbs, via google, and about half the people have problems with it in one way or another.

I would like a card installed, and use it directly after installation, not farting around with drivers and IRQs for days.

Do you think that guy, Moskus, might have another sound card in his suggestion box for guys who are looking for good pro quality card that are good work in XP and Sonar?

Thanks for replying.

I don't know, Leeking.
I really don't.
Since you mentioned it, it must be good. You're a quality kinda guy.
I'll get one tomorrow, if the town near here has one. I'm not flying to New York for one.

Thanks.

badgas said:
Hey, Pedullist.

I've done a bit of research on that card.
Most people say, as I found out, that creative puts a ton of bull shit in their 'our card can do this and that and,,,,'. I've also been to a dozen or so bbs, via google, and about half the people have problems with it in one way or another.

I would like a card installed, and use it directly after installation, not farting around with drivers and IRQs for days.

Do you think that guy, Moskus, might have another sound card in his suggestion box for guys who are looking for good pro quality card that are good work in XP and Sonar?

Thanks for replying.

Don't know whether I understand what you're saying. What card you're talking about? The Terratec?

After 'the Audigy' experience (two years of noodling around with settings, new drivers, contacting customer support just to make it work) I'm not applauding a new card with lots of new (and familiar) problems.

So to hell with better sound! I've got an album to finish! :)

Moskus will say: Inca88! Or anything with a big breakout box and +10 inputs and +20 outputs...he likes that sorta thing.

Final question: does the Audiophile perform without crackling and beeping and does it have a guaranteed latency of less than 5ms using WDM drivers?

O no, another question: is there any high quality card that supports soundfonts?

Extingy is CRAP for recording and playback. Bought one about a year ago to try to do some recording with my laptop. It never worked and the support was even worse. Right out of the gate, the suggestions were to re-arrange my IRQs (which didn't work) then get newer firmware for the motherboard, then get different USB drivers, disable features and hardware....it went on and on but never, never, never did the possibility that the Extingy simply wasn't going to work come up. The problem was "Clearly" with my computer. I even put it on a second pc with the same results.

If anyone is looking for a nearly new and unused extingg, check the Denver landfill.

crap,crap,crap... I feel much better having vented. Thanks for the thread.

Pedullist:'
Yeah, I was speaking about the Terratec.

I have all kinds of album parts laying around, backing up and clogging the system arteries of my computuer also. I have almost enough for an album and I need a sound card that can work.
I'm toying with the idea of pulling my SB Live out of my 98 machine and dropping it in the XP. I know it works cuz I've used it for a few years.

Inca 88, +10 to +20 i/o's? I don't record anyone but me, and I can only play one instrument at a time.
What does Moskus suggest for a semi-pro card?

I did some research last night on the audiophile card, came up with the same list of complaints as you wrote down.

I have never used a sound font. I've looked at them but have never studied them long enough to know what they are or how to use them. I can get by with out sound fonts. I don't doctor my stuff up to the point of needing all those extras.

I'm glad you feel better, punkin, but I don't. I'm the one who lives with me. I need to to appease my happiness with a sound card that works.
Sounds like you had two bad computers. Support is always blaming something other than their lack of workability on the computer.
You're more than welcome for the thread, but it comes with a price attached; like, "What sound card did you settle down on?".

Thanks you guys for skirting the question. Your good and keeping my mind pretty active trying not to loose it. :eek:

If you don't need soundfonts, I'd say (and Moskus would agree) Audiophile...

Never heard anything bad about that one.

Not about the Terratec EWX 24/96 either...

Pedullist said:
If you don't need soundfonts, I'd say (and Moskus would agree) Audiophile...

Never heard anything bad about that one.

Not about the Terratec EWX 24/96 either...
Ok, I'll check out those two cards, Pedullist. I've never spoken to you before but a lot of guys I know here seem to respect your input and comments. That counts in my book. I'll take your advice and delve deeper into each of the cards. Not other forums this time, but straight to the sites of the makers.
Thanks a lot, Pedullist.

I went with the delta1010. Plug and play...works as advertised. No regrets.

Ok...I did have one little problem...turns out my card had been sitting on the shelf for awhile so, it was packaged with a dated driver. The folks at Cakewalk had me running in less than 30 minutes by having me install a newer driver which I downloaded from the M-Audio website.

Hope you didn't get the feelin' I was "dissin" in any way. I just had a bad extingy experience...I sort of had a feeling that looking save a few bucks was going to get me but I would say the most of my frustration was with the product support and their bass-ackwards spin on technical difficulty. The product was advertised to work with computers equipped in a broad range of configurations but wouldn't work either of mine equipped as required.

Peace, love and eternal bliss to you all but, the extingy is CRAP!

Thanks punkin, I'll add that card to my list.
I don't think anyone dissin any more that I was.
I can read between the lines.

Thanks for the tip.
I owe you guys. Or! You can collect from Jake if you want.

Those pics from Jake...tempting for sure....;)

punkin, how's the latency of the delta1010 using WDM drivers?

Its great! As advertised (zero). Of course I've got a bit of a beasty PC but I don't think that's the key behind why this card works.

Considering the cost vs. performance, you can't beat it in my mind. If cost is the concern, do the 1010LT. Same card just no built in patch panel. On the plus, you get the midi in/out and the spdif and a pair of mic amped xlr inputs.

Need a little less, look at the 66 or the 44.

I've got a Pentium IV 2,26Ghz with 512Mb memory. I suppose that's pretty beasty as well...

punkin said:
Its great! As advertised (zero). Of course I've got a bit of a beasty PC but I don't think that's the key behind why this card works.

I take that that is 'zero' if using ASIO drivers with the signals routed on the card?

Porter

2.x GHz should be plenty.

I'm at 3.0 with 800MHz front side buss and 1 GB RAM with a couple Western 80 GB drives.

I'm pleased as can be.

Back