External monitors with laptops

I use an external video monitor with my laptop. It has the capability to perform split screen...that can give you more real-estate. Right now, I also use an external mouse and keyboard without the split video. This way, I can basically have 2 complete/seperate control systems on a single computer. This is cool is you are recording by yourself, and need to track in a different area of the room.

What I do, is use the laptop screen for mixing, and a CRT for arranging. I love having the dual monitor setup, it helps a lot, even if it is just the convienience factor.

David Katauskas said:
Right now, I also use an external mouse and keyboard without the split video. This way, I can basically have 2 complete/seperate control systems on a single computer. This is cool is you are recording by yourself, and need to track in a different area of the room.
Whoa whoa whoa......back up

PLEASE REPLY TO THIS. i am on hold getting a new laptop because I have problems getting answers to things i need to know before i purchase.

What exactly do you mean??

So when you do this you are only using one screen but two controls? So basically your laptop with the built in keyboard and mouse can be 10 feet away from you..and you can have the external mouse an dkeyboard and control it from where you are, 10 feet away from the computer while viewing your laptop screen

OR

do you mean your laptop is in one area of the room..you are on another and you use the external monitor with the external keys/mouse, while being able to also go over to your laptop and navigate on your laptop screen with the built in stuff?? if this isnt what you mean, is that possible?

tourettes5139 said:
What I do, is use the laptop screen for mixing, and a CRT for arranging. I love having the dual monitor setup, it helps a lot, even if it is just the convienience factor.

im trying to find out if the laptop im getting supports dual monitor.

can you explain to me a bit what dual monitor is?

i understand you can open up two seperate screens.. 1 on your laptop, and a totally different screen on the external monitor.

correct??

how do u choose which screen you want to navigate on??

can 2 ppl play here..one on the laptop and one on the external monitor at the same time? (what i asked in post above this)

Only if you are running a multi-user system such as Unix/Linux/Windows Server something or other. I'm pretty sure Windows XP Home/Pro won't let you do this.

lyricist said:
so is there anyway that someone can use screen "1"(laptop) while someone else is using screen "2"(external monitor)??

Back