External Memory

mattfunkel

I need to purchase another hard drive and I don't want to waste my money (again). I want reliable, large storage. Which is better firewire or usb? and if my firewire is already occupied by my firebox, is there such thing as a splitter to access the 1394 port? I record with a PC if that helps. Which one does everyone swear by?
Thanks,
Matt

Last edited:
I need to purchase another hard drive and I don't want to waste my money (again). I want reliable, large storage. Which is better firewire or usb? and if my firewire is already occupied by my firebox, is there such thing as a splitter to access the 1394 port? I record with a PC if that helps. Which one does everyone swear by?
Thanks,
Matt

The Presonus Firebox has a pass-through firewire port where you can connect a fw hard drive. Firewire can transfer more data than USB because it manages data flow between the devices without much cpu resources. USB requires more cpu time and though it can reach speeds higher than firewire, it does so in bursts.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Matt

Are you planning on recording directly to the external drive or just using it as general storage/backup? If you want to record direct to it you probably want to go with firewire. Otherwise USB is fine and usually cheaper.

Last edited:
Are you planning on recording directly to the external drive or just using it as general storage/backup? If you want to record direct to it you probably want to go with firewire. Otherwise USB is fine and usually cheaper.

I do want to record straight to the device so ill go with firewire. What are good brands of them?

Back