Explaining “what style of music do you write?”

I write music to drive away Demons and clear everyone out of a room at a party. Truth! As a result l have no more than probably 1, 2 or 3 fans. Hey Baby Que Paso doesn't count because Ke Pa So was Augie's idea, he asked me to write it, then changed most of the words. Welcome to the world of the Music Biz. But screw that song because it doesn't run of demons or clear out a party.

That is the kind of music l write. As a result it made me very few fans, and very few friends. All of which are dead today. But l have written hundreds of songs in my lifetime. It would be silly to write anymore, because they all do the same thing. Run off demons and clear out parties.

I get asked this question all the time, and I'm not quite sure how to answer it. I'm into 80s synth and alt/eclectic rock bands, but I also love the Beatles, 70s rock, and singer/songwriters. I'm trying to find a way to combine all of my influences into my own style. Some of my favorite musicians and influences are [insert list here].

--
Jason Hook. I enjoy remixing old songs using Audacity together with UnMixIt for vocal removal or isolation

It helps to know who's asking. If I know the person loves death metal I don't waste much time explaining (no offense to death metal fans, it's just that I know you won't like my music). Most of the time I just say that I write in several different genres and also mix genres. Most people get it and they know I play guitar.

It helps to know who's asking. If I know the person loves death metal I don't waste much time explaining (no offense to death metal fans, it's just that I know you won't like my music). Most of the time I just say that I write in several different genres and also mix genres. Most people get it and they know I play guitar.
+1

Man I'm all over the place on the tunes I've written but for sure most are middle of the road pop love song stuff.
It's is all what happens to be flowing in the universe and going on in my mind.
I've written songs about society being fucked up, a girl breaking my heart, me falling in love, My daughters have been the impetus for a few love hate songs......as has my wife.

Walking through the park on a sunny afternoon
Coulda been January, coulda been June
All I remember was the sun was out
First time I saw that girl I had to shout
I'm in love
I'm in love
With the blond with the big blue eyes

Blond hair and big blue eyes
The sweetest pair of eyes
My eyes have ever seen
She was a goddess do you know what I mean

Totally a McCartneyish pop love song

Tragedies in the walk of life...friends dying, innocents dying..genre runs the gamut of classical prog rock to goat roping country...no rap, no techno but I could write it if n I wanted to.

Which comes first the lyrics or the tune.....I've written both ways..

It's been a while since I wrote one... Have had a couple tragic situations go down recently and yesterday I came across a melody and some words started flowing but too much pressure on me to get other shit done so I got up and left it there lying in the cosmos...maybe I'll remember it maybe I won't ..gettin old and it's harder and harder to remember what I did 10 minutes ago.

Part 1:I get asked this question all the time when I tell someone I’m a musician or building a studio. I actually haven’t written a ton of songs on my own and at 50 years old now, I’m hoping to try to do some different things combining all my favorites and influences over the years.

If I tell people I’m into 80s synth and alt/eclectic rock bands, but love the Beatles, 70’s rock, Singer/Songwriters, too, and trying to find a way to combine all of it… ??

Examples of favorites and influences but not necessarily exactly what I intend to write:
80’s: Erasure, Yazoo, Thompson Twins, Cars, Crowded House, Smiths, Howard Jones, Nik Kershaw, New Order, Cure, Elvis Costello, Van Halen, U2
60s-70s: Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Cat Stevens, Gordon Lightfoot, Badfinger, Wings, George Harrison, John Lennon, James Taylor, Bee Gees, Van Halen and so much more
90s-now: A whole lot of 90s but nothing specific into the 2000s. I loved Adam Schlesinger of Fountains of Wayne (RIP!) and Dandy Warhols, Travis, David Gray, and so much more

I know this is asking a lot but if I plan to write more singer/songwriter heartfelt but pop songs, utilizing synths, pianos, acoustic and electric guitars, hand percussion along with sequencing drums with a more electronic/dance flair… What the heck genre do I call it?
Oh, and on top of all of this, I always just wrote music, someone else wrote lyrics but I want to try my hand at it this go around.

Part 2: What style are you and who are your influences?
I consider myself a "developer" in songwriting and production on guitar and piano and develop compositions. I like to take a young raw artist with basic good ideas whatever the genre and make it sound good. Maybe like what Guy Chambers did with Robbie Williams. I am influenced by just every great music, but my favourite writer is Sir Paul 😉

In the mid-80's I was working with two brothers in Virginia - I lived in Maryland. Me and one brother would meet up with the other at his luxury hi-rise apartment across from Watergate/Crystal City. I forget the floor number - it was 18 or so - but as I was going up to his apartment the elevator stopped at the 2nd floor and a well-dressed, middle-aged woman entered. I was standing there in all my hippy glory with long hair, scragly facial hair, faded jeans and my Tele in it's hardcase. I also reeked of pot as I had primed myself on the way over.

She was very pleasant as we exchanged greetings, then she asked "What kind of music do you play?". That's hard enough to answer when straight, but I was able to focus for a minute and replied "Country; Rock; a little Bluegrass..; Country-Rock." She gave a wide smile and asked if I was performing in the area - I replied "No". The door opened, she left and we never saw each other again.

Back