experience?

Also, "just doing it" entails analysing and being critical and growth.

Apply this to golf (or any other field of human endeavour).

Buying an expensive set of golf clubs and whacking a ball around the course every weekend won't necessarily turn you in to a good golfer. Practice is critical, but may not be enough. You could easily embed unhelpful techniques into your playing which will become limiting handicaps. So both aspiring and accomplished golfers make use of coaches who help you develop enabling techniques and prevent disabling techniques.

It requires effort to perform any activity really well, where that effort consists of acquiring knowledge, undergoing training, and practising continually. Importantly, growth requires you to understand what you are actually doing, and not to be fooled by what you think you are doing: self-criticism is vital.

@Oretez

I personally really enjoyed your post. you did manage to pass on some great insight.

if I cant manage to read that, how can I manage to read the rest of the posts! ;)
let alone any remotely detailed text on mic's, interfaces, software etc...

that is exactly why people come to forums to learn stuff - without buying a book on it they can get more than the average "user friendly" software review will supply. 3 paragraph chunks of info on about.com and wikihow are great but just not enough for someone who wants some in-depth material and has read them all already!

i applaud Oretez for having the patients for someone like me who really wants to learn something that isn't a quick fix "press these buttons in sequence" answer.

thanks
I stand humbly and contritely corrected ! ;)

haha no correction needed!

I thoroughly enjoyed your posts as well - even the last one. and your right about people sharing what they have - which is allot better than BS about stuff they don't really know. i agree also - no it's not a cop out.

but when someone can be bothered to put down everything they can in the spirit of sharing even though it's really long - well great!

that is what makes a forum special - the "open minded many" in individual and unique communication with a common grounded community!

thankyou to everyone who has taken the time to share.

I am no pro but, I ve come a long way. I believe there is an advantage to working in a studio. There is gear ready and and people there you can watch using it in real time.

But in my case, I had to learn the ropes on my own. It takes a while to accumulate gear and a lot of reading here. But no doubt the hands on approch is the very best. Just get in there and invest time. It is not something that you can learn half way in the begining.

thanku gcapel

i will bare that in mind
at the moment it is a possibiily that i will do a Btec diploma (see my second post) in music tech. there is allot of equipment at the college including a studio and mixing space so that should be fantastic but ideally i must admit working with in a commercial and just helping out would have it's advantages too.

i will have to see what opportunities arise

Back