Examples of what you think are very well recorded/engineered songs

Some classics come to mind.

Shpongle - all the three albums. Crazy, crazy, crazy production.
Ott - Blumenkraft. Again, this stuff is wild. Wild beyond everything
Värttinä - Iki. Some amazing finnish folk music, all their latest 2 or 3 albums are rock solid.

fuzzy math said:
right on!!!

suprised nobody mentioned my bloody valentine's loveless - some songs had 100 tracks. 30-40 vocal tracks and 30-40 guitar tracks per song. that record is absolutely perfect from start to finish.

I'm actually listening to that right now. What do you know about the vocal sounds they got? I've been curious since the day I bought it.

So, yeah, Loveless.

I dig Roy Thomas Baker's work with Queen and the Cars...I listened to the Cars first record on vinyl recently, and wow. GOOOOD TIIIIIIIIMES ROOOOOOOLLLLL.

Love ELO, and Jeff Lynne's work with Petty and Harrison.

Urge Overkill's "Saturation".

When I was a kid I liked what Rick Rubin did with the Cult, though I haven't listened to it in years. I like a lot of his records. Very close-mic sounding, but in good way.

Check out Presley's "The Jungle Room Sessions". It completely blew me away, especially that it wasn't recorded in a pro studio and really qualifies as a "home recording". IMHO one of the very best recorded albums of all time, from an audio engineering standpoint. It actually feels like you're there live. A hidden, underrated gem to be sure.

~Daniel

Youth and Young Manhood-Kings of Leon

I dunno, I just think it is really really warm and nice. and Ethan Johns did it too.

Erm Dark Side of the Moon- I dont think anyone has mentioned it.

Ooh and Wish You Were Here

Mighty Rearranger- Robert Plant, has really nice synth stuff

Have you been looking at my CD collection?

I love The Falming Lips' "The Soft Bulletin". Brilliant - recording and music both.

thediscoking said:
Oooh! One of my favorite conversations!

'Heroes' by David Bowie
The Great Destroyer by Low
Beggar's Banquet by the Stones
Our Endless Numbered Days by Iron & Wine
Days of Future Passed by Moody Blues
Another vote for Beck's Geuro.
And another for Tom Waits' Real Gone.
Glassworks by Philip Glass
Red Headed Stranger by Willie Nelson
Funeral by The Arcade Fire (Is anyone else hip to this record???)
Flaming Lips, Beach Boys, Radiohead, Beatles, Joy Division, The Beta Band, Kinks, Wilco, Bjork, Devo, Donovan, Gorillaz, My Bloody Valentine, Sonic Youth, The Turtles, Air, The Zombies, Fiona Apple, Grandaddy, Pink Floyd, NIN, the Velvets, the Iggy Pop records that Bowie produced.

Tony Visconti, Spector, Dave Fridmann, Tom Wilson, the dub guys, Eno, Jim O'Rourke, Alan Moulder, George Martin, Albini, Tom Dowd.

I'll stop there, before I go on forever and ever and ever and ever and.......

Oh, I almost forgot....

Aas much as I don't like the so-called "artists", the production on the Brittany Spears and Gwen Stefani records is brilliant.

I'll second Beck's Sea Changes, I love all the snare sounds on that one. Funeral by Arcade Fire is another one I love. Radiohead's OK Computer comes to mind as a popular choice that hasn't been mentioned yet. The drum sounds are all around amazing and the vocal on Exit Music makes me piss my pants every time.

Back