Examples of what you think are very well recorded/engineered songs

"International Velvet" by Catatonia is, IMHO, as close to perfection as modern production gets. Then there's the Nick Drake stuff produced by Joe Boyd. And Geddy Lee's last solo LP is awesomely produced - it's my reference for mixing my band's forthhcoming (and ongoing) LP. And, of course, as mentioned earlier "The Great Destroyer" by Low - I think Dave Fridmann from Mercury Rev did that one. Sublime.

Im a production fan of the following and I'm sure much more

Miles - Bitches Brew
Swervedriver - Mezcal Head
ZZ Top - XXX
Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast and Black Sabbath Mob Rules (I put these two together cause Martin Birch did both records about the same time, and the drums sounds are spectacular and pretty much the same)
Anything Albini does
Killing Joke - the newest self titled one
all Parliament

this could go on forever

peopleperson said:
Killing Joke - the newest self titled one
You get good rep just for that.

P.S. I love Albini, but there's one CD he recorded at his home studio that sounds like crap to me - the first Stinking Lizaveta CD.

I loved Beck's previous album as well, I think it was called Sea Changes, recorded entirely analog. Very rich and warm album. Haven't heard the new one, but now I think I'll go pick it up.

Anybody remember "Brother To Brother" Gino and Joe Vannelli ?
That had some of the purest clean tones I've ever heard.

MadAudio said:
You get good rep just for that.

P.S. I love Albini, but there's one CD he recorded at his home studio that sounds like crap to me - the first Stinking Lizaveta CD.

Haven't heard that Albini one, Im sure the dude's done a dud or two.

Yeah, I'm a lifelong Killing Joke fan, and I love that record. Seeing Red kills me.

Man, I'd love to be able to appreciate the analog goodness of Beck and White Stripes for that matter, but the music is so ungodly boring to me that it's not even worth it. Just my opinion.

peopleperson said:
Seeing Red kills me.
I'm a lifelong KJ fan also! Yeah, "Seeing Red" and "Total Invasion" are killer tracks.

I once had my band's demo produced by Youth!

Collective Soul - "Collective Soul"

*ducks* :D

Honestly, I know people think these guys are a glorified boy band, but that album sounds pretty damn good. All there stuff is pretty well recorded with the exception of the first album (which was largely demo material)

Yeah, K Joke is the shit. If you're into them and you haven't heard already, you should check out the LP Wire reunited to make a couple of years ago.

Hi - this looks like an ideal thread to jump in on, and show my colors:

Beck - Sea Change
could do without some of the snare sounds; love it otherwise.
Steely Dan - Gaucho
Still trying to figure out that late-70s jazz drums/room reverb
Van Der Graaf Generator - Godbluff
In a "different place" than their 69-71 sounds, no?
King Crimson - Lark's Tongues
not my favorite material, but tops in production/mixing choices

Karate - Pockets
Queen II
Bo Hansson - Watership Down
T. Rex - most Visconti stuff

and so on. To polarize, I dislike most Albini, Phil Spector, Dave Fridmann stuff...

Adam

peopleperson said:
Yeah, K Joke is the shit. If you're into them and you haven't heard already, you should check out the LP Wire reunited to make a couple of years ago.
Don't need to - I saw the tour! They were amazing.

Yeah, Im gonna go vomit now. I would have given just about anything to see that Wire/K Joke tour. I do however have an unbelievable Wire recording live in Chicago from the short US leg that's incredible. I love the fact that Wire insisted on playing virtually all new stuff, and I hope to god we get another stellar LP out of them.

That's weird because I was just listening to 'Pssyche' yesterday and thinking how well recorded it was, I also remember reading that KJ went to a lot of trouble to make sure that their records sounded right, even going to the record pressing plant to see that the job was done properly.

Mr songwriter said:
That's weird because I was just listening to 'Pssyche' yesterday and thinking how well recorded it was, I also remember reading that KJ went to a lot of trouble to make sure that their records sounded right, even going to the record pressing plant to see that the job was done properly.
Most of the live stuff I've heard sounds like crap, but the majority of their studio albums are well done.

Yep, I freaked on Extremities, Dirt and various repressed emotions as a young teen lad when it came out. Gordie's tone and playing stand completely on it's own. I've never heard a band be able to successfully milk the shit out of a single riff for a song. The title track on Pandemonium comes to mind. What a great great hook.

Overall, for content, I'd pick Fire Dances as my fave.

peopleperson said:
I've never heard a band be able to successfully milk the shit out of a single riff for a song. The title track on Pandemonium comes to mind.

That's what I like about Pssyche, the bassline just keeps on and on but the other elements of the song are changing around it, another thing that I think is interesting about Killing Joke is that someone like Jaz Coleman, with his background in classical music, would also be interested in making music that is as supposedly unsophisticated as Killing Jokes'.

ajkivi said:
Hi - this looks like an ideal thread to jump in on, and show my colors:

Beck - Sea Change
could do without some of the snare sounds; love it otherwise.
Steely Dan - Gaucho
Still trying to figure out that late-70s jazz drums/room reverb
Van Der Graaf Generator - Godbluff
In a "different place" than their 69-71 sounds, no?
King Crimson - Lark's Tongues
not my favorite material, but tops in production/mixing choices

Karate - Pockets
Queen II
Bo Hansson - Watership Down
T. Rex - most Visconti stuff

and so on. To polarize, I dislike most Albini, Phil Spector, Dave Fridmann stuff...

Adam

Man theres some killer stuff there, I simply love Goodbluff very nice recording.

The larks tounge in aspic is another classic...

and queen II is just brilliant, its queens strongest next to A night at the opera in my opinion. :)

Some records by XTC come to mind - notably "Black Sea", "English Settlement" and of course the Todd Rundgren-produced gem "Skylarking."

MadAudio said:
Some records by XTC come to mind - notably "Black Sea", "English Settlement" and of course the Todd Rundgren-produced gem "Skylarking."

right on!!!

im a huge xtc fan and those are my 3 favorite xtc albums (english settlement is my fav). i definately got a new appreciation for rundgren after hearing skylarking, which many describe as xtc's sgt. pepper. very lush and full sounding album.

suprised nobody mentioned my bloody valentine's loveless - some songs had 100 tracks. 30-40 vocal tracks and 30-40 guitar tracks per song. that record is absolutely perfect from start to finish.

MadAudio said:

The production on XTC's last two, Apple Venus and Wasp Star is absolutely astounding. Everyone should hear those records.

Back