Event TR8XL, need help understanding studio-monitors..

PenguinKiller

HI, I bought a pair of Event TR8XL from the store.

When I hooked up one I kinda wasnt feeling the sound. I think it sounds awful frankly. Or might I be doing something wrong?
The way the music sounds (when playing original pressed Audio CD's), Is as if the sound is "muffled" compared to my HiFi speakers. is this correct? Is this the sound of how Studio-monitors supposed to be??

Vocals sound "burried" in mid and bass, and all other instrumentation also sounds "narrow" and "muffled" and not open. Like when you cover your HiFi speakers with a thin cloth and then listen to them.
The events seem very bass-heavy too.
On the overall it's as if Im listening to the radio, thats how my pressed CD's sound like on these. From Kim Wilde to 90's Hiphop. Hardrock "Alice Coopers - Poison", sounds so awfull at the guitar end.. Is it supposed to be this way?

I thought there was an Event Engeneer attending these boards?
Can someone please explain what could be going on?

Thanks for any good advice..

So, listening to them at a low volume, I assume that all speakers are working? Woofer and tweets both sounding?

Any distortion apparent?

If nothing is grossly wrong, how long have you played them?

I doubt that the speakers come broken in at the factory. (is it heretical to suggest such a thing?) I just know that with hi-fi speakers you can't expect them to sound their best until they've be run in for a few hours.

Hi there.

I was listening to only 1 TR8 active speaker, so I hooked up the other today for comparison. They both sound the same. Tweeters do their work.
Bass drivers too (and my-o-my the bass really does its work)

I have to get used to them I guess. I'll switch back to my old setup within the hour to see how I like my old setup now..
Somehow I dont like the highs and mids on these events. They are fatuiging to listen to. The high isnt extreme and still a bit ugly, somehow the mid sounds a bit harsh too, dunno why. They sound awfull when I play some 80's Rock music Especially Alice Copopers Poison, That guitar sounds ug-ly..

Jody Watley's Looking for a new love, Mary Jane Girls' All night long, Taana Gardner's Heartbeat, those song pack thump anyway, and boy do they sound pretty good on these. But synthbasses and drumcmputer hits usually sound well on most speakers.
Still not too thrilled about the highs and mid. I really haven't a clue why..

Do you know a reason perhaps?

Do I understand correctly now I got these professional monitors,
What I hear when playing audio CD's is what the producers intended me to hear?
In that case Im not at all impressed with the mixing-skills of most producers...

BTW. I can not help but notice that speakers are probably "Tuned" for certain types of music. Synth-related mostly like
House music. When I play some euro-House on these or Groovy House, they suddenly pack all the you'd expect :///
Thats weird..

Just a quick question, how do you have them placed? Be sure to have them away from surfaces that would reinforce your sound. (Yeah, I know you probably don't have them set up at a 45 degree angle in your room's corners, but it was worth a shot...)

1) Most people listen to pop on consumer electronics speakers, Not everybody has the budget to purchase a decent set of soundlab electrostatics or set them up properly.

Alot of stuff is mixed for car stereos or boomboxen. That's why a set of cheap speakers can be so vital (avantone mixxcubes?)

2) I'd still give them some break in time. I'm not saying you should blow them up with high volume, but play them at a reasonable volume.

One way to minimize the noise in the mean time is to face them into each other whilst feeding them a mono signal thats out of phase.

Maybe the tr8xls just aren't for you.

If you can still return them, you might as well.

I remember when I was really into hi-fi back in the day, my test was to listen to a really good recording of Bach to see if the music made it through alive. There's some equipment out there that is technically quite good, but somehow manages to throttle the music.

I dimly remember someone (neil levinson at Fanfare magazine?) talking about the tragedy of people buying expensive toob audio research gear only to have their tastes turn to rosemary clooney records and eugene ormandy performances because thats the only music that sounded good on their systems.

Back