Equipment

RedPanther

Hey guys! I'm really a beginner in the area of music production but I'm really looking forward to diving deep into it cause I'm becoming fascinated. So my question is: except for the pc obviously the speakers that I have and the akai mpk mini do I need anything else? (I mainly wanna create hip hop beats).I m really tempted to buy maschine mikro mk3 but is it worth it?(taking into concern that the akai keyboard has its own pads). Thanks!

The best possible monitoring chain you can put into the best possible space you can put together. Everything else is secondary (by far). Everything else is sort of up to what you feel you need.

Hey guys! I'm really a beginner in the area of music production but I'm really looking forward to diving deep into it cause I'm becoming fascinated. So my question is: except for the pc obviously the speakers that I have and the akai mpk mini do I need anything else? (I mainly wanna create hip hop beats).I m really tempted to buy maschine mikro mk3 but is it worth it?(taking into concern that the akai keyboard has its own pads). Thanks!

Welcome to the Mad House! Really, really take on board Massive's advice re monitoring, you really cannot know how good anything sounds unless you have a good, accurate reproducing system. There is also the matter of your chosen genre? I know little of it but feel it might be about heavy bass? If so this makes for larger, more expensive monitors and even more extensive treatment of your room and if your room is less than about 1800cu ft (~65cu mtr) you are going to struggle to treat that for even quality bass IMHO. Yes, you CAN use headphones. Models well north of $200 would be useful but many say you ultimately need speakers for the final mix.

That Akai mpk seems to be devoid of any audio outputs. How do you drive your present speakers? I think the mpk is aimed at being part of a "standard" home recording setup? That would consist of an Audio Interface PC and active monitors driven and controlled from the AI. AFAICT you would be relying on the computer's (laptop?) soundcard for that duty. Not good.

The NI Maschine is better in that it has audio ins and outs and MIDI ports and seems to be "most" of an interface anyway but I would still advise adding an AI to your existing setup and IF you do, make sure it has MIDI ports. The Steinberg UR22 gets a good rep and comes with Cubase, nowt better for MIDI work.

As you are "noob One, post One" you may not know much about "Digital Audio Workstations"? DAWs are the software that allows the recording an playback of music (and VASTLY more!) Cubase is one such but there are dozens of them, some are free. Almost all have a trial version and I would suggest you have a look for these on the MAGIX site. One of their Music Maker DAWs might suit?

Dave.

Welcome to the Mad House! Really, really take on board Massive's advice re monitoring, you really cannot know how good anything sounds unless you have a good, accurate reproducing system. There is also the matter of your chosen genre? I know little of it but feel it might be about heavy bass? If so this makes for larger, more expensive monitors and even more extensive treatment of your room and if your room is less than about 1800cu ft (~65cu mtr) you are going to struggle to treat that for even quality bass IMHO. Yes, you CAN use headphones. Models well north of $200 would be useful but many say you ultimately need speakers for the final mix.

That Akai mpk seems to be devoid of any audio outputs. How do you drive your present speakers? I think the mpk is aimed at being part of a "standard" home recording setup? That would consist of an Audio Interface PC and active monitors driven and controlled from the AI. AFAICT you would be relying on the computer's (laptop?) soundcard for that duty. Not good.

The NI Maschine is better in that it has audio ins and outs and MIDI ports and seems to be "most" of an interface anyway but I would still advise adding an AI to your existing setup and IF you do, make sure it has MIDI ports. The Steinberg UR22 gets a good rep and comes with Cubase, nowt better for MIDI work.

As you are "noob One, post One" you may not know much about "Digital Audio Workstations"? DAWs are the software that allows the recording an playback of music (and VASTLY more!) Cubase is one such but there are dozens of them, some are free. Almost all have a trial version and I would suggest you have a look for these on the MAGIX site. One of their Music Maker DAWs might suit?

Dave.

Thanks a lot for the quick and extensive response! Truth is ,as far as DAWs go, I've started learning FL and seems perfect for me right now. Budget's not so high right now so I'm thinking of bying some descent speakers (Rokit 5?) and later on a sound card maybe. Thanks again!

Good plan but if you decide to get farther in i think most of us would recommend one of the many inexpensive 2 channel interfaces available and skip the sound card as that wont really be an improvement. Nothing to worry about now, but as you feel comfortable check out youtube vids on the popular brands that come up on a search for "2 channel audio interfaces" on google and/or musical instrument vendors' websites to get an idea of what i mean.

Thanks a lot for the quick and extensive response! Truth is ,as far as DAWs go, I've started learning FL and seems perfect for me right now. Budget's not so high right now so I'm thinking of bying some descent speakers (Rokit 5?) and later on a sound card maybe. Thanks again!

OK, Floops is fine if you know nothing else. DAWs are roughly divided into two main types. The "linear" format that emulates a multitrack tape machine and mixing desk ans what I call the "cut and shunt" DAWs. FL is the latter and many peeps get on famously with it (is there a dedicated FL section in HR?)
However FL does support MIDI and so I again strongly advise getting an AI with such facilities. There is a very cheap Behringer interface with DIN ports and I think it has had decent reports?

You said "sound card"? Does that imply you are using a desktop PC?

Dave.

Thanks again for your time Gtoboy and Dave!
Gonna look for audio interfaces then and also download 4-5 different DAWs trials and find out what suits me. Btw I own a laptop , didnt mean to say sound card!

Back