EQ on a recorded bass track?

Nothing beats the sound of a really good bass ... with newer strings (but well broken in) ... using the right settings / dialed in the right way.

That's really the only way to start. Run that through an A/B splitter. Run one split in to an amp, and mic that up. Run the other direct. Phase-align the two, and mix them to taste. If you'd like, you can try rolling some of the low end off the DI track ... starting around 60/70 hz, and just roll it off on a real gentle slope and see if that helps any. But really, the idea is to use the balance of the two tracks as a natural EQ ... bringing the DI track up or down for more (or less) low end ... and bringing up the mike'd track for more midrange.

One of the tricks that very rarely fails is some additive EQ at around 800 hz. That seems to be sort of a magical thing that almost always works when you need the bass to cut through a little more.

And that's as true today as it was two years ago when this thread was active ;).

Man, all of a sudden we're all getting sucked in. Whole lotta newbs searching the waters, getting ready for those mBoxes they're expecting for graduation presents, and pulling old threads out of Davey Jones' locker.

Late December-January and late May-June; dangerous times for old thread ressurection. :)

G.

Hang on a second, does that not prove that people are using the search function? Or at least looking for old threads with information they want in?

Perhaps the continual Newbie bashing is taking effect :rolleyes:

Hang on a second, does that not prove that people are using the search function? Or at least looking for old threads with information they want in?
Often times that's from global Google search results more than anything else. A classic example is that thread in here on "Recording's Dirty Little Secret". Most of us have stopped visiting that thread weeks or months ago yet it has visits in the tens of thousands and still climbing and - in general - the newer the post in that thread, the newer the member. You can imagine just how many of those come from someone typing in "recording secrets" into their Google task bar.

But even if they use the BBS search functions to find them, it's like wearing seat belts. It's not the 70% (or whatever the number is) who wear them that the police are worried about, it's the 30% who don't ;) :D.

G.

Yep, there seems to be a lot of resurrection going on, and it's not even Easter...

But at least the threads that are getting pulled up are the ones with useful info.

And that's as true today as it was two years ago when this thread was active ;).

Man, all of a sudden we're all getting sucked in. Whole lotta newbs searching the waters, getting ready for those mBoxes they're expecting for graduation presents, and pulling old threads out of Davey Jones' locker.

Late December-January and late May-June; dangerous times for old thread ressurection. :)

G.
And resurrecting old threads is bad because...?

I never understood why this bothers people, but it really seems to stick in the craws of the old-timers on this (and others) site. It's information, people, and sharing information and ideas is why I come to this site.

It doesn't matter whether you have 10,000 posts, and your Rep Power (whatever that is) is through the roof. Everyone here was a newbie at one point; no one was born with a head full of recording knowledge. Homerecording.com has a tremendous mountain of knowledge that is there to be mined by anyone and everyone interested in home recording.

Sorry for the rant, and for the digression. But I have to say I did glean a lot of valuable info from this particular thread. Rock on!

I never understood why this bothers people, but it really seems to stick in the craws of the old-timers on this (and others) site. It's information, people, and sharing information and ideas is why I come to this site.

It doesn't matter whether you have 10,000 posts, and your Rep Power (whatever that is) is through the roof. Everyone here was a newbie at one point; no one was born with a head full of recording knowledge. Homerecording.com has a tremendous mountain of knowledge that is there to be mined by anyone and everyone interested in home recording.

Sorry for the rant, and for the digression. But I have to say I did glean a lot of valuable info from this particular thread. Rock on!
Pretty much have to agree, a lot of times it's still makes for valid info/reading and shows someone is doing the searching'. Still it's often fun to get caught up, not noticing, trying to 'talk to someone that was long gone years ago. :D

It has nothing to do with one's seniority, it's just that those that have been around for a while notice it more, that's all.

A few reasons why it's not a great idea:

- it manages to push fresh and current threads down the display page, and if enough people do it, it'll push 'em off the first page altogether, leaving threads that are many years old floating at the top like scum on a stagnant lake, while the more current, more relevant threads languish below.

- When a thread is many years old already, it often contains obsolete information. This is especially true in a high-tech field like this one where new gear and new technical capabilities come out every 6 months. Hell, just for one example, we still have threads popping up like this that are filled with advice that was appropriate for the 16-bit converters that were state of the art when this board started, but is just plain bad advice under today's technology.

- The majority of threads that are older than 2 years old contained questions from and conversations between board members that are no longer around. Kinda surrealistic to join in a conversation whose participants have left the building a couple of years ago. ;)

- It's not like the good information in old threads is lost forever. There's no need to churn them up again. In fact most of them are resurrected by people who have found them via a simple BBS or Google search (and they just don't notice the timestamps that way) so the info is there for anybody with a computer.

If you have new info you'd like to contribute to the board, that's wonderful. But if you can either start a new thread or simply wait for the question to be asked in a current thread, that would be considered far better BBS etiquette than dragging up ancient threads by dead people.

G.

If you have new info you'd like to contribute to the board, that's wonderful. But if you can either start a new thread or simply wait for the question to be asked in a current thread, that would be considered far better BBS etiquette than dragging up ancient threads by dead people.

see, it's funny you say that, because i know people on some BBS' bitch to no end about people making threads about a bunch of crap that's already been discussed to death, and make a point to tell them to use the damn search function.

see, it's funny you say that, because i know people on some BBS' bitch to no end about people making threads about a bunch of crap that's already been discussed to death, and make a point to tell them to use the damn search function.
Nothing wrong with using a search function or engine to find stuff. That's how most of these folks dig up these threads to begin with. I applaud that and would like to see more of it myself.

It's replying to them that makes the difference.

I mean, why reply to a thread that died a natural death three years ago? Maybe the question isn't what is wrong with that, but rather what is right with it? What's the point?

But you know what, I really sound like I'm trying to make a bigger deal out of this that I ever, ever meant to. This sideabr is in itself not even worth debating, IMHO.

G.

Well, here we go again!...First, I'm a 23 year veteran of recording both as an artist and engineer. I'm not as fortunate as some to have learned all there is to know about the art.

Just because someone is a newb to this particular forum doesn't necessarily mean they are a newb to the recording arts. I just recently resurrected my interest in recording as a hobby & joined this forum to see what was going on.

Everyone has to start somewhere. When I started, I was oblivious to the notion of a "forum" as a place to find recording tips. I was fortunate enough to have friends that were veterans in the business who gave me guidance. As far as discarding old threads pertaining to yesterdays technology in favor of the newest gadget on the market, I say ARE YOU KIDDING??

Rep power?? Who cares!! I assumed this was a place for folks to exchange ideas on the recording process. Not a social club where you must strive to become a part of the hierarchy.

There goes my rep power! ;)

Anywho, there's no need to respond to this post because I wont be back to see it. Just wanted throw my .02 worth in the pile first. Mods...feel free to terminate my membership.

Everyone has to start somewhere. When I started, I was oblivious to the notion of a "forum" as a place to find recording tips. I was fortunate enough to have friends that were veterans in the business who gave me guidance. As far as discarding old threads pertaining to yesterdays technology in favor of the newest gadget on the market, I say ARE YOU KIDDING??
When you are talking about digital technology, the rules of thumb have changed several times in the last 8 years. Good practices in a 16 bit environment have become a stupid thing to do in a 24 bit environment. Standards have changed.

Old-school workarounds are not needed in some instances because someone came up with a tool for the task, that has become so commonplace that everyone has the ability.

It's kind of like trying to troubleshoot your cars rough idle. If you look at a troubleshooting guide from the 70's, it would recommend adjusting the carburetor. If your car was made in the last 20 years, it probably doesn't have a carb.

Rep power?? Who cares!! I assumed this was a place for folks to exchange ideas on the recording process. Not a social club where you must strive to become a part of the hierarchy.

If it doesn't matter (which it doesn't. It's an inside joke around here), then why do you bring it up?

Anywho, there's no need to respond to this post because I wont be back to see it. Just wanted throw my .02 worth in the pile first. Mods...feel free to terminate my membership.
If it were truly all about you, I wouldn't have responded. There are other people probably wondering the same thing, they might appreciate an answer.

Well, here we go again!...First, I'm a 23 year veteran of recording both as an artist and engineer. I'm not as fortunate as some to have learned all there is to know about the art.

Just because someone is a newb to this particular forum doesn't necessarily mean they are a newb to the recording arts. I just recently resurrected my interest in recording as a hobby & joined this forum to see what was going on.

We will miss you and your 9 posts.

I don't know about you guys ... but I'm definitely a Kerry / Edwards supporter this year. I can't stand Bush, and it's time we get that bump out of office.

It really angers me how they keep running those "Swiftboat" ads. I hope they don't hurt his chances.

And in the meantime this thread just keeps pushing one more current thread by a real live person with a real problem right now off the front page.....

G.

Back