Epiphone Hummingbird VS Alvarez AJ60s,Carvin Cobalt 250

davidguevara80

Always Online
Hey guys:
I am buying an Acoustic Guitar to record with Microphones,I record a lot of praise and worship Music and also Pop Ballads.My Max Is $260.

I have these 3 Options:

1.-Epiphone Hummingbird (There is one on my Local Craigslist for $175)

2.-Alvarez AJ60s (A guy is Selling one Brand new for $250 I could found it for Cheap Tough)

3.-Carvin Cobalt 250 (Right now is $260 brand new at the Carvin website)

I Record with my variax Acoustic 700 And i always got very good results but i want to experiment recording with a real Body Guitar with different Microphones etc...
Should i buy one of this guitars or keep recording with Variax or just save another $200 and buy a Used Taylor 314??

Please Help guys!!

Yamaha has the best tone for recording...go to guitar center and try a few different ones out...you might have to depend on sound files for that Carvin since Ive seldom ever seen that brand in stores.

I picked up an Alvarez AF60S off of ebay about a year go for under $100.00. Best lower end acoustic I've played in a LONG time. At the time, MF had them in the $350-400 range. It's one of my favorite acoustics right now, it sounds really full, it's well made and looks classy! Love that thing!

If you do a bit of searching, you'll find that we've had a couple of very similar discussions in this forum lately. The price range has bee slightly different, but the brands don't really change that much in the sub-$250 market and the sub-$500 market.

So for $250-ish, you're basically looking at entry-level acoustics. There are some good brands that offer very capable entry-level instruments. Let's see if we can find some specific models and prices.

But first off, go to your local big music store and rummage through their used acoustics. You might be able to score way more guitar for the money buying used rather than new. Hit the pawn shops, keep an eye on CraigsList, local yard and garage sales, anything you can think of to find a cache of used guitars.

Most importantly (and I think I need a macro button for this so that I can spit out this spiel at the touch of a single button) PLAY these instruments before you buy them. Get your hands on them. Feel the weight, the finish, the binding, any raw wood...there are some real gems out there with small price tags on them. And the most important thing is how they sound. How they sound to you as you playi ? How does it sound to you when you stand back while a friend plays it?

I'm a big fan of Alvarez entry-level acoustics. Their Regent series has a solid low-end like nothing else in the $200-$250 range. Yamaha makes great quality instruments in that range. Washburn and Ibanez both offer a ton of entry-level acoustics.

I'm curious what everybody thinks about Silver Creek. They've sprung up in the entry-level to mid-level acoustic market and they seem to get some good reviews. I've never laid hands on one, but I keep seeing them mentioned lately. Hopefully somebody with experience will come along and give us the skinny on Silver Creek.

Dean is another maker that gets into the entry-level and mid-level market. I'd compare them to Washburn and Ibanez in this price range. Good guitars, but not great. But I don't suppose there are many "great" guitars that cost $250 new.

Ooooh, and I see Daisy Rock has a strong presence in this market! Search no longer, Daisy Rock is you new guitar! Oh the flowers! The colors! It screams "take me into the back alley and beat the living snot out of me!".

The only guitars that I'd say to stay away from in this price range are Fender and Rogue. Fender acoustics aren't all that good, no matter the price range. And especially in this sub-$250 price range, they sound like shoeboxes with rubber bands stretched over them. Awful, just awful. And Rogue is so spotty with their quality that I really coudn't recommend them with a cear conscience.

Well, good luck in your search. Hopefully we've narrowed it down at least a little bit.

Thanks for the responses! I was at GC last week and they don't have any Alvarez,but i had to owned 2 in the Past(My first Acoustic Electric back in the 90's was an Alvarez) and i was very Happy with them.

I played the Martin DX series and they was very Dead,Played the Epiphone Hummingbird and.. It is hard to tell when you previously owned a Real Hummingbird.But sound was OK.

Never had the oportunity to play a Carvin Acoustic in my Life but reading reviews on HC and listening videos at Youtube sounds tempting.

One thing about the Martin 'X' series with the high-pressure-laminate back and sides, is that you might want to see if the store clerk will put a new set of strings on it for you. I really can't defend the 'X' series a good guitars but for the price, Martin's craftmanship and customer service is so terrific that it might be worth giving that HPL guitar one more chance with new strings on it. I've recently become a Martin fanboy so forgive my vigor.

Normally I wouldn't look twice at a HPL guitar, but if you have some time to kill and if the salesman is a cool guy, see if he'll slap a new set of strings on that DX and see if it still sounds dead. Same with that Epi Hummingbird. Old, dead strings can really make a good guitar sound mediocre, and a mediocre guitar sound terrible.

I think it'll be worth your time to track down an Alvarez and a Yamaha and see if their $250-ish models float your boat. Surely in a town as large as Houston, you'll be able to find a few retailers that carry every brand name under the sun.

I own two Carvin Cobalt guitars...a 250S and 350.

While the 350 costs a pinch more and is unique being all-mahogany...the 250S is my favorite with its cedar top and satin finish (the 350 has a slightly darker tone).
The 250S just sounds SO SWEET, with the right low-to-high balance IMO, and it records better than a few others I've tried in the past (Ibanez, Ovation,).
I spent a good deal of time trying out acoustics at my local music store, and they have some very high-end, very $$$$ guitars...some were exceptional.
But the 250S is such a huge playing and tonal surprise, and considering its price...it's a real no-brainer...unless you really want an expensive name on the headstock. ;)

It plays like butter too! None of that weird feel to the neck that makes playing harder unless you are really use to playing all kinds of acoustics.
If you are mostly an electric guitar player...the Cobalt is a very easy transition for your hand, IMO.

While the 350 costs a pinch more and is unique being all-mahogany...the 250S is my favorite with its cedar top and satin finish (the 350 has a slightly darker tone).
The 250S just sounds SO SWEET, with the right low-to-high balance IMO, and it records better than a few others I've tried in the past (Ibanez, Ovation,).
I spent a good deal of time trying out acoustics at my local music store, and they have some very high-end, very $$$$ guitars...some were exceptional.
But the 250S is such a huge playing and tonal surprise, and considering its price...it's a real no-brainer...unless you really want an expensive name on the headstock. ;)

It plays like butter too! None of that weird feel to the neck that makes playing harder unless you are really use to playing all kinds of acoustics.
If you are mostly an electric guitar player...the Cobalt is a very easy transition for your hand, IMO.

Thanks for that Info!

You know what, i just ordered the Cobalt 250s My birthday is next Month and i will probably buy the Alvarez tough to get a Jumbo and a Dreadnought.

I'll keep you guys posted when it arrives.

Hey Man! I changed My Mind and Took the Cobalt C750TS i beleive is the same thing with the c250s but with Electronics and Cutaway.I got a good deal Out there (Over my Budget tough) and couldn't resist.It will be in My Hands Tomorrow, i will keep you guys Posted with Pics and A Review!

I'm sure you will like it...but it's not quite the same as the 250S, which is the only cedar-top they sell.
The 750 has a spruce top...so it might be brighter sounding...but they both have the mahogany back and sides.

The electronics are a very nice option...
...though I kinda like using the Dean Markley ProMag pickups in my acoustics.

Let me know how you like it.
I want one of the Cobalt Jumbos....the one with the rosewood back and sides and spruce top - the 980T. :cool:

I'm sure you will like it...but it's not quite the same as the 250S, which is the only cedar-top they sell.
The 750 has a spruce top...so it might be brighter sounding...but they both have the mahogany back and sides.

The electronics are a very nice option...
...though I kinda like using the Dean Markley ProMag pickups in my acoustics.

Let me know how you like it.
I want one of the Cobalt Jumbos....the one with the rosewood back and sides and spruce top - the 980T. :cool:

Hey, I just picked up the Cobalt C750TS and yeah it is in MINTY Condition the only Issue is that the Action is High but the Sound is Just Great I Used yo have a Taylor 210 Ce And this thing is The Same Or Better (Unplugged) Very Loud and Punchy Sound,I haven't connect it yet but with a nice Setup will be A Keeper for Sure.Very Happy!

A Practice Shoot! Just picked up from the Shop and Plays Like a A Dream.Love the Light weight,My Variax is going to the Closet.....

Attachments

• ensa.jpg
    ensa.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 37
Pics

I want to Share with you guys the pics of my Cobalt C-750TS I spent a lot of time playing a lot of guitars at the Guitar center on Westherimer but,any of the guitars,even seagulls on this Pirce range couldn't beat the Cobalt.It is Just Great.

Attachments

• DSC00957.JPG
    DSC00957.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC00958.JPG
    DSC00958.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC00959.JPG
    DSC00959.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC00960.JPG
    DSC00960.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 36
More Pics.....

Attachments

• DSC00961.JPG
    DSC00961.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC_0231_2.jpeg
    DSC_0231_2.jpeg
    59.8 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_0143.jpg
    DSC_0143.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC_0235.jpeg
    DSC_0235.jpeg
    55.8 KB · Views: 35
I spent a lot of time playing a lot of guitars at the Guitar center on Westherimer but, any of the guitars, even seagulls on this Price range couldn't beat the Cobalt. It is Just Great.

Hey David....I'm really glad to hear that you like it so much…especially since I was the one that pushed you toward the Cobalt. :D

I too tried a lot of guitars at local music stores....and while there certainly were some stunning, very high-priced guitars...to buy one as inexpensive as any of the Cobalt line and then find that it plays and sounds like a very high-priced guitar was a very nice surprise for me too!

That's why when an acquaintance wanted to sell his 350...I didn't even spend 10 seconds thinking about it and I bought it from him…even though I already had the 250.
I really want the Cobalt 980T Jumbo...and then I will be set.

So tell me...since neither my 250 or 350 have electronics...how do you like them on the Cobalt?
That was the only thing I wondered about, as sometimes electronics on an inexpensive acoustic guitar end up being a cheap afterthought...though the Cobalt guitars use Fishman electronics, so I’m sure they sound good.

Hey David....I'm really glad to hear that you like it so much…especially since I was the one that pushed you toward the Cobalt. :D

I too tried a lot of guitars at local music stores....and while there certainly were some stunning, very high-priced guitars...to buy one as inexpensive as any of the Cobalt line and then find that it plays and sounds like a very high-priced guitar was a very nice surprise for me too!

That's why when an acquaintance wanted to sell his 350...I didn't even spend 10 seconds thinking about it and I bought it from him…even though I already had the 250.
I really want the Cobalt 980T Jumbo...and then I will be set.

So tell me...since neither my 250 or 350 have electronics...how do you like them on the Cobalt?
That was the only thing I wondered about, as sometimes electronics on an inexpensive acoustic guitar end up being a cheap afterthought...though the Cobalt guitars use Fishman electronics, so I’m sure they sound good.

Thanks For the Recommendation Man!when i Read your Review of it i just pushed the button and order it.
By the Way i am recording Right Now Using the Baby Bottle at the 12th Fret and the Pair of MXL 603 one under the Bridge and one near the Fretboard and Sounds Fantastic!

I Love the Sound of the Electronics for Live performances It sounds Sweet,You have a wide Control of the Frequencies,it doesn't sound Cheap at All and the Tuner is a Big improvement(I don't have to carry with My Boss TU-2 anymore)

I am very Happy because at the beginning i was looking for a "cheap" guitar without electronics for recording and now this is my guitar for recording AND Live performances.I will use the Variax for Quick Productions or for the Banjo and 12 String Stuff but is not my Main Guitar Anymore.

Also Looking for the Jumbo i am looking for a Used one to save $$ they are hard to find tough,i have Time,my Birthday is on the 27th :D

Back