Ensoniq kmx-8

sava66

Hello, I have an ensoniq kmx-8 I just purchased. Some strange things about it. I don't know if its broken or just really weird. The onky manual is one that's been translated from German and its not fully understandable. One weird thing is that the midi merge light on input 1 is always blinking no matter what I do. Second, I can get it to route a signal from a keyboard to a synth module but not into not into the midi in on my computer/tascam audio interface 122 mk ii. I have also successfully sent sysex patches out of my tascam and into the synth. But if I want to use my keyboard to play a soft synth, it's not working. I'm thinking maybe its a power issue.i am using a transformer. Also, the manual says that the flash memory built in lasts 10 years, but there's no battery. So what happens after 10 years? If anyone ones one or is familiar please let me know. I just want to compare notes with someone.

I don't think it's a power problem. Have you gone over the global page (or whatever Ensoniq calls it) for midi data filters, trasmission channel and such? If it will drive an external hardware module there's no good reason it won't send a midi signal into your interface. Keep looking.

As far as the manual saying there's no battery, only some newer, cheaper Casios are built like that --- with a set life. It's probably one of those mistranslations from German, and if you open it up there will probably be a battery in there.

Power

Thanks for responding. It was a power problem. I took a multimeter and stock it in the transformer nd it was onky pushing out 90 volts of 110 and 180 volts of 220. Piece of garbage. When I got a better transformer, the light stopped blinking. I am surprised that my 2 other synths (esq-m and sq2) actually worked so wel in a low voltage environment. I hope I didn't do any permanent damage and I learned my lesson about checking voltages before I plug anything in. I wonder since kmx was a German company if it is dual voltage. Is there a way to tell if its dual voltage if I open it up? I would still love an English manual. You are right about the flash thing nit making any sense. I wonder what kind of battery is inside. It remembers the settings for now so I'll probably worry about it later.

Back