Emagics Logic

Tried it a couple times but just found it to be a pain.

It comes highly recommended and all the 'pros' I know are using it. But when I've tried it, it's just been such a pain that I gave up on it and have just stuck with Cakewalk for the past couple years.

heard that it has a high learning curve but once you get past it it should be great (not a personal experience...)

greetz guhlenn

Logic Rules!

I record with Logic Audio Gold 4.6.3 and have been a faithful Logic user since back when it was only a midi sequencer. I really enjoy working with Logic. It's powerful, intuitive, flexible, versatile, and comprehensive. Yes, there's a learning curve. But the rewards for learning to use the program are well worth it. Also, there are quite a few good web sites and books (Wizoo.com) that supply gads of helpful tips. If you're looking for a full featured midi-audio-notation package, I would heartily recommend Logic Audio without reservation.

I'd also be happy to try to answer any specific questions you or anyone else may have about Logic.

BUBOON! You beautiful fanged apelike creature you!

Looks like your the man I need to talk to. I recieved a copy of Platinum but no manual. This program looks pretty damned
sophisticated like you say, but also as you and everyone else said in the post pretty damned complicated. But I'm switching from Cakewalks Metro which also seems pretty sophisticated, but in a "ZOOM" kinda way. Don't get me wrong I have a "ZOOM" RT-123 Drum machine that I love. they seem cheesy, but like Metro awsome for the money. So I think this is big step up for me. "Buboon" I found the Wizoo.com the other day. Is that about the best one ? What Soundcard are you using for your sound in/outs with the logic ?
Thanx alot, T.

CD Tutorial for Emagic

If you can find them, CD tutorials are the best way for creative visual learners like myself. Somewhere between reading a manuel and the noise of the computer and the distractions of the screen, I forget what I just read, or what little I understood of what I just read. An animated CD with voice guidence and a mouse pointer to show the way is the best. I just got a CD tutorial for Emagic 4.0 and I'm looking forward to going through it. The only bad part is it cost $79. Check it out: http://www.coolbreezesys.com. They have a lot of Pro Tools CDs also. If I successfully learn how to use Logic, it will be worth it. The Wizoo books aren't that great. At least the Dave Bellingham book on Logic. Not explecit- from point A to point B is what I want.
Chuck

Logic CD tutorial update

I've used the CD tutorial enough to know it was a wise move. The time invested in learning how to use Emagic with their poorly written manual is too long, at least for me. I've had Emagic for a year and I've learned more about it in a few days than that whole year.
Also, at the Pulsar forum(Creamware owners only allowed), many Cubase users are switching to Emagic. Emagic is becoming the favorite software for CreamWare products.
Chuck

I've got a question for you logic afficianados...

what have you found to be the best audio card and midi interface to work with this program....I would assum audiowerk and amt8 respectively, but any other suggestions?

trique,
I use Pulsar, which shows all routing and where the signal is going, but it is very expensive. If I were getting a card to go with Emagic, I would pick RME Hammerfall. It was chosen by Fostex to link their flagship D2424 HDR to the PC(24I/O). It has 1.5ms latency- the lowest in the industry, and the company is full of PC audio inovation. They have a converter that converts ADAT and TDIF at 96K, using a double speed system. They also have a good PC optimazation tutorial at their site. www.RME-audio.com or .de? Emagic's card is out of date. The best hardware they make is the Unitor Midi interface.
Chuck

I used Logic 4.2 Platinum, but that friggin thing crashed very 4.2 seconds. You wouldn't believe. It did it alot, so I reformatted and redid EVRYTHING, (including trying another soudn card), and it just hated me. Hence, I now use Nuendo. I like it more, and is ULTRA reliable. One thign I miss is the REALLY cool plugins Logic had. mmm..... BitCrusher..... I loved that thing. If oyu wants ome weird ass noises, run a guitar through a ring modulator, then the bti crusher, then a flanger. People thought mine was a dying whale at first. Very interesting indeed. I knew Logic really well, and still do (after 2 years of use, despite the crashing), if you elarn Logic, you shouldnm't have any trouble learning the other software packages. It took me like 15 minutes to figure out Nuendo. I also love Nuendo's audio mixdown function. So much better then the Bounce in Logic. No more realtime, it does it in RAM, so you don't have to worry at all about latency and insufficient hardware issues.

Jake

Jake,
I've never had that problem. I even have the original Athlon with the infamous via chip. It sounds like things were out of sync. Emagic does work best using ASIO drivers. I also have Samplitude 2496 and Emagic not only has those great insert processors, but the Midi sequencer is way better than Samplitude. I've heard good things about Nuendo, but it is in a little higher price range than Emagic. I see a lot of Pulsar people are also using Nuendo. Emagic Platinum 6.0 may have some new tricks.
Chuck

I used ASIO drivers. I know I did eveything right, you have no idea the amount of time I spent with tech support for that program. I tried it on my Guillemot card, and I borrowed a Gina, and it still crashed. Maybe if I bought an Audiowerk. I spent 2 years learningon that program anyway, and I became pretty damn fluent with it, but all in all I prefer Nuendo. Logic's problem wasn't it's midi capablities, it crashed on audio stuff. I still use it occasionally when I need to sequence something out, or need the score's of a midi. It definately has an easier to use interface for Midi then Nuendo. Nuendo collapses all the parts of a midi into one track, and everythings tiny. I know Logic so I never bothered to learn Nuendo's midi stuff. I actually prefer the insert processor's in Nuendo, just Logic has more. Nuendo's compressor blows away Logic's. It's basically the same thing as the Steinberg Mastering Suite Compressor, which I also own (and love). Somday maybe I'll go back to the mac made and tested, then ported to PC, Logic, but right now I am quite happy with my PC made and tested Nuendo.

Jake

Sorry TJ Hooker

Sorry I didn't reply to you sooner. I moved and was out of town on business and unable to access the BBS. Anyhoo, I use an Emagic Audiowerk2 card (2 ins, 2 outs). It works great for me.

I would say the Wizoo Guide to Logic 4 is a real good read, especially for someone new to Logic. It's nowhere near as dry as the Logic manual and gives some "real-world" applications for some of Logic's cool features.

You should also check out Emagic's website:

http://www.emagic.de

They have some great links to websites by and for Logic users.

Keep experimenting (the best way to learn I think) and if you have specific questions, email me or post 'em here.

I think Nuendo and Logic are at the same level. They both sound great. I love Nuendo's audio mixdown feature. It does it in your RAM, and doesn't do it in realtime. This makes it SO much easier on oyur comp, and doesn't rely on the ocmputers power to process effects in realtime. So if you had the occasional skip when monitoring it, but still loved how Magento sounded on 6 tracks, you can mix it down straght to hard disk skip-free anyhows. Logic you have to bounce it to hard disk in real time.

Jake

Cakewalk has had the mixdown feature for ages. I could have 10 tracks on my 486, I couldn't play them all together but I could always mix them down.

I've played with Nuendo and it's nice but it don't have any extras over Cake that I've found other than the VST plugins. I think Sonar with address that more than adequately.

cheers
john

Sorry, but I absolutely loathe Cakewalk. Something about it just ticks me off. I used to use Pro Audio 8 before I got Logic 4.2. I don't know, but Nuendo's stock plugins DEFINATELY blow away Cakewalks. But, to each his own. Have fun with your Cakewalk, and I'll do just fine with my Nuendo. I'll be recording a song with my band (something I can actually post) this week probably, so I'll post something I've done in the mixing clinic sometime soon.

Jake

A little off-topic but I heard you mentioning Nuendo.

I was checking this thing out. How are it's mixing capabilities? I've been using cakewalk for a while and although I am able to get the job done with it, I'd be happy to have something better.

Back