Eleven Rack vs M-Audio and Presonus NEWB

POD x3 - $500
Digi Eleven Rack - $800
AXE-FX - $1800

Roland VG-99 - priceless when you consider all it can do, (well actually about $1200 on sale!)

I picked mine up with a Godin xt-SA guitar and I am in guitar modelling processor heaven! Just 12 more years of cooking, cleaning and being at my wife's beck and call - then this puppy is all mine free and clear!

But I would need another sound card to go with it?
Eleven rack and pods doen't need another sound card to work.
I don't need to track more than one instrument at a time so I don't want to buy another soundcard if i don't need it!

Have you tried the Eleven rack and pod x3 vs your roland !?
I don't care if it does more things i jsut want to know about how it sounds.
cleans all sounds great on these units, but what about plexi, jcm 800, mesa mark and reco amps?

Actually, the VG-99 is also an interface. You can use USB in and out. I've even used it to re-amp when I want to try different sounds on an existing track.

Along with the COSM guitars which give amazing strat, LP, etc modeling, it has around 50 amp models that are tryly amazing. From a VOX, Marshall, Fender, Mesa, it has them all. Then add not 1, but 2 GT-10 effect racks and the possibilities are endless. You also then have cabinet sims to go with the amps, and even the choice of mic and placement in front of the cabinet!

Where can you play a strat through a Fender twin with a little chorus on one channel, and a LP through a Mesa with some flange on the other channel. Then put a slight delay on one channel and you have dual guitars with a huge stereo field that just blows me away!

Can you record some riffs (jcm 800 and mesa)with your VG-99 so I can hear how it sounds!?

Seems to have lots of options! Like all other dig. amp sims the clean seems to sound good but not sure about the overdrive sounds.

70% of the sounds I need are for hard rock (like Def Leppard, Van Halen) but I also need modern sounding amps (mesa rectos).

I jsut sold all my gear (orange rockerverb 50 and mesa mark IV) because our band was not really practicing but me and my drummer want to keep pn playing and record some songs we did taht sound different.

So for practicing we will be using is Roland V-drum at low level so that's why I'm looking for somethign that I can use at home and also live!

Sure, I'll post some sounds tomorrow evening. I was the same way, got rid of all the big amps and stuff. I'm not gigging and it just didn't make sense having that stuff around. I was going to get a small practice amp, but started this whole home studio thing. The VG-99 fit perfectly. It sits nicely on my desktop beside my control surface. I feed it into my studio monitors or headphones when I want some loud all to myself.

It great for recording and because everything is computer DAW stuff now, I can do backing jam tracks to mess around with or get into some full blown production stuff. It suits my needs perfectly.

If I had one complaint with the VG-99, the acoustic sounds are a little lacking, but all the amp and effect modeling is excellent. When I want real acoustic though, I have an old Seagull S6 that I mic up and it does the trick. Here's a picture of my humble setup:
misc 022.jpg

Attachments

• misc 023.jpg
    misc 023.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 28
I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but if you go to the VG forum http://www.vguitarforums.com
scroll down to the VG-99 patches. We post different patches that we can share with the editor program that comes with the VG-99. Have a look at some of them. Ignore the.mid files as these are the actual patches, but a lot of them include .mp3 files which are the examples of the patches. Lots there to listen to.

I sound like a bloody Roland salesman. I am not affiliated with the company in any way, just very pleased with the product!

Thanks
But I'm still looking at the Eleven Rack!
A guy from youtube sent me some soundclips, he did a Def Leppard cover and by comparing it to the DEf Lepaprd cover on the VG-99 the eleven rack sounds to me a lot better.

The 12 string effect on Die Hard the hunter (from the link you gave me) is great but the second part to my ears doesn't sound as good as the eleven rack.

Thought of another somewhat cheaper option. Cakewalk has this new guitar/interface package out. I haven't tried it but got an email from them when it came out. Here's a link:
http://www.cakewalk.com/products/v-studio/default.aspx?Prod=VS-20
I have watched a lot of the videos on the Eleven Rack and it does look like a great unit. I just have a thing about digi and pro-tools. I don't like how they drop support for products and constantly force you to upgrade. Plus you have to use there overpriced hardware to use pro-tools. Just rubs me the wrong way.

Thanks!!
So many options!! HAHA
I may be more interested in the V-Studio 100
But since I may play live with it that's why I'm looking at
a guitar rack taht can record well in home studio

Hi webstersp,

I don't know why, but live amps sound better than any modelling software I have tried. Even if you back off a bit on the live recording and later beef it up with modelling software the sound is better than using software alone.

The noise from a live amp is a musical hum, the noise from software tends to be more a white hiss. Also, a valve has a way of compressing sound and providing sustain in a musical way that is both easy to level and that I haven’t seen in software that I can afford. I can afford valves.

You could try getting all your tracking done through a DI box and simulation software, and then feed the raw DI back through your amp and cab for the final mix. This would limit the pain for your neighbours to a single take. Unfortunatelly, this will not work for parts that require feedback between the guitar and the amp, but neither will software.

Drums lend themselves to sampling and you should have no trouble finding a good kick and snare instrument. I would also think about doing your own live cymbol and hi-hat recordings or samples though.

Last edited:
I might go eleven rack for home and some live and also an engl e530 for live situation.
They are not expensive and have 2 x 1,5 watts solid state power amp built in.
I think that I could use this unit at home!

Back