Electro Harmonix 12AY7 Mic Pre?

these rep points are really the "best"..

i wish ppl had to sign them when they leave one...i always do

then i would know the name of the moron that just left me a red point for bumping this thread and showing the box to the PPL THAT ARE INTERESTED IN IT.

not that i give a fuck about those things..but you're still an asshole.

diogo said:
these rep points are really the "best"..

i wish ppl had to sign them when they leave one...i always do

then i would know the name of the moron that just left me a red point for bumping this thread and showing the box to the PPL THAT ARE INTERESTED IN IT.

not that i give a fuck about those things..but you're still an asshole.

Hey Diogo,

Just left you a positive rep point. I appreciate your having provided the link to the ebay ad displaying the box. I was convinced that this thing would show up in a cardboard box, as many of them do now adays. I'm all the more excited about getting my hands on this thing.

Our guitar shop guy is going to give EHX a jingle on Tues. (tomorrow), asking if our pedals (he ordered a Pulsar for himself, the poor addict) have left the stinking wearhouse yet. Man - I'm committed to shopping local, but arrrrgh, the waiting game can be trying... :eek:

hey fellas

many thanks for the reps :D

i sincerely dont understand how can someone just go about and leave "bump my butt" just for the sake of it..i dont care, but i didnt want other ppl to notice a bad rep and think ive been fucking around here and messing with ppl.

either way tanx guys (the points went right back at you, expect you halion - this thing says i have to give more points before i can give rep to you again lol what the hell?)...i guess if anything, this moron made the thread go even higher lol :D

i cant wait to see what u have to say about the pre Ben...ive decided to go with only one, as im basing my studio on a set of tascam portas (from pc, to siab, to pc again, now portas)...i guess i can take advantage of the pres in those fine machines, but i wanna have this as my "go to" in terms of vocals and acoustic guitars..

i cant wait really..if i had the money already, i wouldnt lol

my waiting game is damned shipping hiatus :/ ordered my Rat 2 like 15 days ago, still not here.
but itll be nice to see the reactions, i cant wait for that either...

hurry up Ben ;)

I got a negative rep point too. It seems like somebody is handing them out to everyone who posted on this thread. :mad:

Not me, but I did get an unwarranted one in another thread where someone else said he got one too. Not that it matters much, just is annoying.

diogo said:

Unless I'm totally thrown off by the scale of the picture, I highly doubt that this thing puts 200V on the tubes. You need a big ass transformer and a couple big ass electrolytic capacitors to do that. This thing looks roughly the size of a stomp box, I just don't see how they could cram all the components needed to make it non-starved plate in there.

Yeah, it is pretty much is a stomp box, isn't it? Minus the stomp? I don't know, appearances can be deceiving, but I'd prefer a big huge box for the cosmetic appeal alone.

i wonder about that too, but i trust who recomended it to me 110%.

the brick is big and bulky, but i dunno if thats a sign of good components in there...although im lead to believe it is..

anyway, i dont doubt this thing is good, i just dont understand how its done either...cause after all, its a stomp indeed...at least its that size...

we shall see...

I've noticed that with every EH pedal I've used or own, that they give great tone, even if you absolutely hate the effect, there's still this really amazing warm tone on your guitar. So maybe if this turns out to be a technically shitty pre, it'll still be really cool for something, like vocals.

If the box is the same as their other tube based pedals (and Im 99.9% sure about that), then it is not that small at all. Bigger than any other effects pedal. With tight placement it should totally be possible to fit a transformer in there. As far as I know, all their tube pedals use high voltage for the plates. I can't belief they have been fucking with us all for so long by not using high voltages. Not for a second will I doubt that actually.

great point Halion!

i had no idea about that, never actually saw one of those, but if u say they're big, i believe u. :D

i dont think they would be fukin with us all this years either...my opinion is that, Electro Harmonix would be the best stomp maker in the world (probly ever) if the rat 2 was their pedal :rolleyes:

their total lack of a decent distortion pedal makes them one stomp short of that..at least to me :D ...anyway, i might be getting a russian muff just for the sake of it, sometime soon - i like that concentration camp look lol

diogo said:
great point Halion!

i had no idea about that, never actually saw one of those, but if u say they're big, i believe u. :D

i dont think they would be fukin with us all this years either...my opinion is that, Electro Harmonix would be the best stomp maker in the world (probly ever) if the rat 2 was their pedal :rolleyes:

their total lack of a decent distortion pedal makes them one stomp short of that..at least to me :D ...anyway, i might be getting a russian muff just for the sake of it, sometime soon - i like that concentration camp look lol

So true, but there are already so many crappy/decent/good/great/amazing/isthisthingreal? overdrive/distortionboxes around that I don't really see that as a problem. They make some killer filters and modulation effects though.

you're right indeed :)

u know its curious, i actually said they're short of being the best out of the top of my head cause of the lack of a proper distortion stomp, but i had no other company in mind as "the best"..maxon comes to mind, but thats boutique (right?), and for 400 bucks a analog delay, i can get 4 EH stomps, and one of them being the memory man..

im sure they're the best..

no one can touch them visually, and although it doesnt matter to the sound itself, its still a factor (i play better through their stomps go figure :D )..and if we consider that kind of inspiration, i guess visuals affect the sound as well..

There are some that can beat EH if you ask me. Like EMMA effects, I think their made in scandinavia, but they start at like 200 bucks a pop, and they don't make that much. Carl Martin, Visual Sound, Maxon, etc, all make great pedals but are waaaaay more expensive. When it comes to bang-for-your-buck gear that doesn't sound like shit, there's no beating EH.

Halion said:
When it comes to bang-for-your-buck gear that doesn't sound like shit, there's no beating EH.

right on the nail :D
this kind of quality is good enough for me!

but hey,
i have a carl martin big john...

but thats as far as i go with that brand :D
cool thing though, very cheap for what it is.

reshp1 said:
Unless I'm totally thrown off by the scale of the picture, I highly doubt that this thing puts 200V on the tubes. You need a big ass transformer and a couple big ass electrolytic capacitors to do that. This thing looks roughly the size of a stomp box, I just don't see how they could cram all the components needed to make it non-starved plate in there.

Take look at a picture of the actually pre, the size of the tubes will help you gauge the scale of the box (not so small).

Also, you don't need a huge transformer for 200V. A voltage multiplier circuit will get you this from a very small transformer. The filament heater circuit requires a lot of juice (amperage), and this necessitates a good amount of iron, but certainly not larger than would fit in the EH chassis.

Doesn't this box use an external wall wart power supply? I believe the size of the case is irrelevant.

SonicAlbert said:
Doesn't this box use an external wall wart power supply? I believe the size of the case is irrelevant.
Yes, but the voltage still has to be converted to 200V for the plates.

I'm curious.This may fit neatly into a small space i have where i need this type of unit.I wonder if it's excactly the same as the other package/?

Back