Edirol VSC in Sonar 2.0

BibleMan

Has anyone used the VSC embedded in Sonar?

I am currently using an external Roland SC and love it. But if I could use an internal software solution to convert my MIDI's to WAV's for recording, that would be super. It would be easier than using a second PC and playing the MIDI's into Sonar (which is what I am doing now).

I guess I am hoping someone will tell me that the sound quality is comparable. Will I be so lucky?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

:D

-BM

Why do you use 2 PCs? You can record the external Roland using one PC. I do that with my Korg NX5R. :)

But if you wan't to use the VCS, that's cool. But I don't think the VSC is as good as your Roland. :(

Hi,

I use to work with a SC until i discovered VSC. I've compared the two of them and i heard no difference in sound quality. They use the same samples, it's just that they are played on different hardware unit. (SC vs the softsynthn PC).

And you can convert mid to wav with "the bounce to track" process. Great features of Sonar and softsynth. Also, you can apply DX effects on your VSC output.

As long as you have enough PC speed and memory you are in business. (I have 1 gig and 256 MB, and it rocks).

But now, i don't use the VSC very much since i've discovered LiveSynth Pro and Soundfonts ...

Have fun !

Well, what I can leave to external processing, I leave external till it's time to mixdown. I like to have as much power left as possible. Say I'm halfway through a project, and suddenly I find that firing up the lovely NI Hammond B4 is necessary, I'd hate it if I was out of system resources...

BibleMan said:
Has anyone used the VSC embedded in Sonar?
I often use it with HomeStudio2002 when composing or transcribing. The sounds from VSC DXi are acceptable, but by no means as good as my favourite SoundFonts.

VSC is very easy to set up and use, the manual describes the procedure under the section Working With Soft Synths.

--
BluesMeister

The VSC is just a general midi/GS synth.I use it but my main gripe would be the lack of adjustable parameters like envelope,decay and such.

I haven't used it that much... I only bought the software about a month or so ago now... I played around with a song, mostly MIDI and compared the strings and my external Sound Canvas (Roland JV-1010) excuse the french pissed on the VSC... I guess it just depends on the quality of the external unit. In saying that, I would use it when writing pieces then use my Sound Canvas for mixdown.

Thanks my feelings anyway,

Porter

Porter,

According to CakeWalks' blurb, VSC is supposed to closely emulate the Roland Sound Canvas. VSC=Virtual Sound Canvas

From CakeWalk's site: Modeled after one of the world's most popular sound modules, the ubiquitous Roland Sound Canvas is now recreated as a DXi soft synth by EDIROL.

Virtual Sound Canvas is the definitive GM2/GS format wavetable synthesizer. It is included with both SONAR and SONAR XL.

--
BluesMeister

I stand corrected, the JV-1010 is a Synthesizer Module... it has GM sounds.. I though that the JV-1010 still sounded a little better... person preferences I guess.

Porter

Porter,

You have no need to stand corrected :) In essence the point I was endeavouring to make was:

a) You reckon the hardware sounds better
b) CakeWalk say the software sounds as good as the hardware

Since you are in a position to compare a) with b) I'll go with your opinion.

Having used the Virtual Sound Canvas myself, I would tend to take b) with an enormous pinch of salt!

--
BluesMeister

It can sound as good as the hardware. It depends on which hardware you compare it to... ;)

It can sound as good as the hardware. It depends on which hardware you compare it to...

General MIDI sounds have changed over the years... I have an old Roland SC-55ST (I think that's the model). The VSC would compare pretty evenly with that.

Porter

I'm talking about MIDI version 2. It's faster much faster, and can transfer audio (if I'm not mistaken).

See how picky we've become? Only a couple of years ago we would have been stunned by the sonic qualitites of the Edirol VSC. Now it's just OK-ish in a vaguely acceptable way.

On the other hand, Giga samples are just stunning. :)

--
BluesMeister

BluesMeister said:
See how picky we've become? Only a couple of years ago we would have been stunned by the sonic qualitites of the Edirol VSC. Now it's just OK-ish in a vaguely acceptable way.
And that's really how it should be! :)

Back