Zoom U-44 standalone mode routing & other questions

I am looking at getting a ZOOM U-44 to use in standalone AD/DA mode. I was hoping anyone who owns one could check/confirm some things about how it operates.

What I would like to be able to do in standalone mode, is have the mic/line inputs be routed out to the SPDIF optical outputs, and the SPDIF optical inputs be routed to the line outs and headphone outs. I dont want the mic/line inputs to be passed through to the line outs/headphone outs, I only want the SPDIF optical inputs driving the line outs/headphone outs. I also dont want the SPDIF optical inputs being routed to the SPDIF outputs. Is this configuration possible?

I also am wondering, if the U-44 is set to standalone mode, does the MIDI over USB still work? Someone on another forum said it might, but I would love confirmation from other owners

Finally, does anyone know, or can they test, what the latency of the AD and DA converters are? Im hoping the total latency that the U-44 would add in standalone mode is very low

I have a UR-44C but no other devices with S/PDIF so not going to try and puzzle this out. As it’s not one of the more popular interfaces, so maybe post over at Steinberg.net, too. And, it might be helpful to describe the actual use case(s) with some of the other hardware involved. (The MIDI-USB part doesn’t sound “standalone” but, again, the use case might help.)

If there’s a block diagram of the device innards somewhere that might answer some questions.

Oops. Not enough coffee!

Is there a separate routing app you can use on the computer to change default routing? Focusrite and Steinberg interfaces I’ve used have that. I didn’t see any mention in my flash read of the PDF. If you’re trying to set up some kind of outboard device that receives and sends over S/PDIF, i.e. to send your other inputs there before going to the main outs, I don’t see that as a possibility, but, obviously, I’ve not used that device!

From what I understand there is no separate routing app, and someone who owns the device on another forum has just informed me that it seems like the digital inputs are being routed to the digital outputs, which is not usable for my needs

Back