Echo Layla 24/96 with Behringer ADA8000

silentsky

Hello,

I've got an Echo Layla 24/96, and I've always connected the 8 direct outs of my analog mixing board to the 1/4" ins on the Layla. I wanted to be able to record more than 8 tracks simultaneously, so I bought a Behringer ADA8000. I connected the ADAT out of my Behringer ADA8000 to the ADAT in on the Layla. I don't make any other connections between the Layla and the ADA8000.

This has always worked okay, but I was wondering--what setting do I need to choose for the "Sync" option on the back of the ADA8000? I presently have the Layla set to "Internal" (in the software mixer), and I currently have the ADA8000 set to "Master 44.1 kHz" (the setting it was on when I took it out of the box). Are these the correct settings?

I was reading through the user manuals and now I wonder if I need to connect a BNC cable from the Word Clock out of the Layla to the Word Clock in on the ADA8000 and change the setting to "WC". Does anyone currently use these two pieces of gear together, and if so, what settings do you use?

Thanks a lot,

Jon

In case anyone else runs into this same question, I bought a 75-ohm RG59 BNC cable and connected one end to the Word Clock Out on the Layla, and ther other end to the Word Clock In on the ADA8000.

I set the Word Clock in the Layla software mixer to "Internal", and set the Sync switch on the back of the ADA8000 to WC In. After doing this, the "Locked" LED on the ADA8000 is lighting up correctly to show that it is slaved to the Layla, so I guess I'm in business.

I also noticed some popping noises as I've been listening back to some recordings since I started using these two devices together, which from what I've read was probably caused by by lack of using either ADAT sync or Word Clocking. But the recordings that I've done since making the above changes have no popping or clicking noises.

Hope this helps someone else...

Yeah, I was really pleasantly surprised by the ada8k. Got it for a buck fifty. Sounds like at least five bucks. :D :p

I have external converters (Lucid) that I use w/ a Layla... I too used WC cables when I first hooked it up... but Then was told that ADAT carries a clock signal so I stopped using the WC cables. My set up works good. I was told you only needed to use the extra cables if your using a Stand alone Word Clock.

Anyone else on this?

So you guys like the ada8000 converters better than the Layla... big sound improvement?

B.

Just got an ADA8k for my layla so I can record 8+ channels.
Was a little buggy syncing to begin with but I used the ADA as the master and set my soft mixer to 'ADAT' and now it seems to work ok!

Back