Ears please

Bulls Hit

Hey guys just wondering if you could take a listen to this track and let me know anything that sticks out or appears lacking
***Fixed link***

This is an old collab that we've resurrected and tried tarting up as a number of the original tracks have disappeared. I think the mix is pretty close, there's a couple of aspects we don't agree on so keen on some independent opinions

Last edited:
Couldn't get access.
Hey guys just wondering if you could take a listen to this track and let me know anything that sticks out or appears lacking
This is an old collab that we've resurrected and tried tarting up as a number of the original tracks have disappeared. I think the mix is pretty close, there's a couple of aspects we don't agree on so keen on some independent opinions
I could access this either. Try uploading in a different format.

"There was a problem opening this file"

Lol, open a free soundclick.com account :D

What jumped out at me were the weak vocals @ 1:05 and 2:04. The music and vocals build to those points but the vocals plateau without rising to the occasion. Anti-climactic. I don't believe it's a matter of volume as much as putting more energy into the singing.

Guitars sound great. Like always. So many different sounds - used well and all sound great.

Bass might have just a bit too much low end - it's a little sterile sounding.

The vocal can be tough to hear some times. Sometimes it get covered by the guitars. But sometimes they just sound a little garbled. Like the effects smear them. I think a doubled vocal would sound great on a mix like this.

Drums sound great. The slight exception are the cymbals. They sound like they have a high-end boost that gets a little hissy at times.

Just minor things. I thought it sounded great.

I found it to be a little dark, not enough in the upper 3K-to 5k region, or it might be pulling some of the 250-350 range down. I didn't look at it with an EQ, it wasn't muddy, just didn't have enough air. That comment is more of a production comment than a mix comment. Seems for the overall sound of the song, a bit more upper end is needed.

Still solid mix, giving some more vocals would be good to my ears.

What jumped out at me were the weak vocals @ 1:05 and 2:04. The music and vocals build to those points but the vocals plateau without rising to the occasion. Anti-climactic. I don't believe it's a matter of volume as much as putting more energy into the singing.
Nice insight thanks spantini

Guitars sound great. Like always. So many different sounds - used well and all sound great.

Bass might have just a bit too much low end - it's a little sterile sounding.

The vocal can be tough to hear some times. Sometimes it get covered by the guitars. But sometimes they just sound a little garbled. Like the effects smear them. I think a doubled vocal would sound great on a mix like this.

Drums sound great. The slight exception are the cymbals. They sound like they have a high-end boost that gets a little hissy at times.

Just minor things. I thought it sounded great.

Great comments Trip (like always :D) You've basically covered the challenging elements I'm wrestling with in the mix, vocals being the main one. I'll take another look at those cymbals too

I found it to be a little dark, not enough in the upper 3K-to 5k region, or it might be pulling some of the 250-350 range down. I didn't look at it with an EQ, it wasn't muddy, just didn't have enough air. That comment is more of a production comment than a mix comment. Seems for the overall sound of the song, a bit more upper end is needed.

Still solid mix, giving some more vocals would be good to my ears.
Yes I think you're right. One of the challenges with this is that the bass, guitar and drum tracks have been lost so the original mp3 mix is kind of baked in. We augmented it with some additional sounds and I've tried a few eq curves but haven't got the balance quite right yet. Thanks for the feedback

I like the tune. Alot of cool elements! No comment on the mix as the whole mix clips when the instrumentation kicks in, and the track stays saturated. Lives at +1 db. The dynamic range is exhausted/used up, at least for me. I just think, outside of big changes, it's hard to genuinely hear what needs to shift.

I like the tune. Alot of cool elements! No comment on the mix as the whole mix clips when the instrumentation kicks in, and the track stays saturated. Lives at +1 db. The dynamic range is exhausted/used up, at least for me. I just think, outside of big changes, it's hard to genuinely hear what needs to shift.
Yeah when I import the mp3 into Reaper it's hitting the reds. I know Scott uses T-Racks to warm over the mix, not sure whether it's something in there or in the mp3 conversion itself. Thanks for that, good spotting

Works for me and it is not my cup of tea but I like it. I can't comment on the mix because of the system I am listening on is just a crappy laptop. The best I can say is it doesn't sound like so and so. Which equates to your own sound and that is a very good thing. Everything is in the right place, in tune, in time, nothing bad to say.

Works for me and it is not my cup of tea but I like it. I can't comment on the mix because of the system I am listening on is just a crappy laptop. The best I can say is it doesn't sound like so and so. Which equates to your own sound and that is a very good thing. Everything is in the right place, in tune, in time, nothing bad to say.

Good stuff dogooder. Thanks for the listen

Sounds well done to me. Really like the dreamy part mid way right before the Chris Squire wah bass - nice. I know it's there before but that spotlight really came at the perfect spot.

Back