Is my mix really that SQUASHED???

Svemir

Guys I
I'm going a bit nuts on this issue, apparently lots of people told me that my mix/master is squashed to hell, I'm quite newbie so I can't really hear that.
I just need to understand now exactly at which stage the issue is, I'm going nuts, I added only the drums track (processed) so you can really tell me if the drums are that much compressed as everyone says, or if the issue is at master level, cause to me the drums sounds ok.
Also I added the unprocessed mix, and the normal mix and the Master version.
Can you please tell where this squashing issue starts to appear?
I need to understand where it is to correct it.
Please consider it's post metal/rock so usually quite compressed genre by definition.
I tried to shave the drums peaks so that I can raise the overall song volume in the master without squashing the whole song into the master limiter.

this is my mix unprocessed

This is only the drums track ( processed)

this is the mix processed

this is the Master

I reduced the guitar treble in the unprocessed version, they were a bit harsh, but I'm more concerned about compression and dynamics.

Right off the bat, there's a tremendous amount of mid-low end rumble and booming in your mastered and unmastered versions. I listened to the reference track by Mogwai, and the problems you're having are not present in their track (no surprise). So EQ is the main problem here--not enough subtractive EQ in the right places. The cymbals and hats in the drums-only seem a bit too loud, and is there reverb on the drums? I don't hear much of a difference between mastered and unmastered versions, but I'm not hearing the over-compression that others think is there. And just an aesthetic call, but I would not hard-pan the opening guitars. Take the right-channel opening guitar, move it closer to the center, and use delay to put it's tail (insert joke here) in the left channel a bit more, and do the same with the left channel guitar. As the song cranks up and other elements show up, move the guitars back to heavier left/right separation and dial back the reverb and delay.

Right off the bat, there's a tremendous amount of mid-low end rumble and booming in your mastered and unmastered versions. I listened to the reference track by Mogwai, and the problems you're having are not present in their track (no surprise). So EQ is the main problem here--not enough subtractive EQ in the right places. The cymbals and hats in the drums-only seem a bit too loud, and is there reverb on the drums? I don't hear much of a difference between mastered and unmastered versions, but I'm not hearing the over-compression that others think is there. And just an aesthetic call, but I would not hard-pan the opening guitars. Take the right-channel opening guitar, move it closer to the center, and use delay to put it's tail (insert joke here) in the left channel a bit more, and do the same with the left channel guitar. As the song cranks up and other elements show up, move the guitars back to heavier left/right separation and dial back the reverb and delay.
Indeed that’s what I thought, an eq issue rather than a compression issue.

Suggestion: I'd keep the drum in focus (Kick and Snare at least) well centered and slightly higher in volume, in addition to the issues that Tim explained to you before!
(Try to put 'em in mono maybe?)

Right off the bat, there's a tremendous amount of mid-low end rumble and booming in your mastered and unmastered versions. I listened to the reference track by Mogwai, and the problems you're having are not present in their track (no surprise). So EQ is the main problem here--not enough subtractive EQ in the right places.
This is something I had commented on in another thread. Keep in mind a standard compressor/limiter does not discriminate on what frequencies cause its threshold to be passed. A mix with heavy low end can cause them to suck the life out of everything and leave the mix without the pleasing dynamics. I would tighten up the stuff ringing in the lower frequencies first. Bass guitar, kick and possibly even that snare a bit. I think that will help a bunch man.

Cheers!

Back