Ear Protection

TamaGroove

Hey guys. What do you guys use when you are playing along with music at home, practicing with the band, or playing live to protect your ears? I am looking for either in ear headphones (shure SE 215 for example) that I can use as in ear monitors for live gigs and for practicing. But I also want something like Vic Firth Drummer headphones that are going to cancel out sound so I don't have to blare the music in my headphones which would completely defeat the purpose. Thanks guys! Can't wait to hear input.

Shure SE215-K Live Sound Monitor, Black: Amazon.ca: Electronics

Amazon.com: Vic Firth Drummer's Headphones: Musical Instruments

I used the drummer headphones for a while and absolutely loved them. Especially if your kit is mic'd up and you pump it back into the headphones.

Sounds really basic but... whats wrong with ear plugs? 50c a pop, and as long as ur not singing and every1 else is amped...

Ear plugs serviced me for years, but I got gun muffs 2 years ago or so for Christmas, and the difference is night and day. Ear plugs are pretty uneven frequency response, really bassy sounding, with gun muffs I kept the high end definition. Also, gun muffs are pretty cheap, and at roughly $10 a pop, for 2 years, I probably saved a ton of money on ear plugs. And these can probably last for several more years.

Since they are not headphones, I still have to use earplugs when playing/recording with headphones since all my headphones are just standard units that do no sound isolation.

Sounds really basic but... whats wrong with ear plugs? 50c a pop, and as long as ur not singing and every1 else is amped...

This ^^^^^

Are you playing wembley stadium? Just use the squishy ear boogers. I've used them live and at practices for 20+ years and I can hear everything fine - including myself when I have to go all Phil Collins and sing and drum at the same time.

For home goofing around I use construction worker/gun range sound killing ear muffler things.

For tracking, Vic Firth drummer's cans.

When I'm mixing in a loud environment I use Etymotic brand ear plugs--more expensive than the standard ones but with a flat frequency response so I can still do an adquate mix without having to take the ear plugs out.

I usually just wear the same headphones that I use for general listening, which is currently a pair of Sennheiser HD 25-1 II's.

They work pretty well, they give a great amount of isolation whether I'm playing music through them or not. They do tend to fall off if I get into it, though.

Back