ear fatigue?

hitman

how many passes does it take for you to achieve a final mix after tracking is complete. and does anybody record and mix on the same session, or do you like to empty the mind first?
HITMAN.

There is no finite number that can be placed on your question. There are so many variables that can affect it such as number of tracks, eq and on and on. The number of passes it takes is until it sounds good. There are some times when I work on one track to get the right sound and level making many passes. I then work on the rest of the tracks in the same manner only to find out the first track needs to be tweeked more because of something I changed in another track. You also don't want to mix the same day you track. Give your ears and brain a break. Then when you finally get to the mix, mix it but don't commit to that mix right away. Tkae another break and listen to it at another time. If it sounds good then go for it. If it doesn't, tweek it some more.

Your ears have a built in compression system to protect them - If you pound them with high level they will close up and you loose your sense of dynamics and frequency response.

I like to rest my ears every hour or so to open them up again. I usually mix from the room next door!!! - this may sound funny but it's true. I usually (always) mix with automation so I can go and stretch out on a couch in the next room and play back the track. You'll be amazed how much you hear regarding balance from the next room...;)

Cheers
John

next room

mixxing is something i've breifly experimented with and it seems to to work pretty good. it's almost like using a pair of alternate reference monitors. especially with reggae. I'm glad somebody else has tried it.

Yes John I hear you there. I mix in software, so when I get something going, I like to walk around as I listen... it important to get out of the sweet spot sometimes. You defintly hear things differently. You can get a better picture of what the listener will get out of the mix.

I always do a rough mix the same day as I track, just put in on casette, just to have a documentation of the process.

-jhe

If you mix at around 85dB that many people recommend you to do for for a good frequenzy response you should never mix longer than a couple of hours before giving you ears a good rest.
It´s very important not to stress the mix by doing too long sessions. Listen to JC and never finalize a mix the same day. Give it rest and see if you still dig it the next day.
Also, a good way to see what´s really loud in a mix is to fade the volume out slowly and see what´s left when the volume is really low.

giggsy

Yo Man of HIT TUNES:

Just to give you one example, I've taken work from a vocalist backed by CD background music, easy to do in the studio and sounds rich. However, when I have the time, I will mix six or seven versions of the cut. I will change reverb rooms, adjust FX, pan knobs, change EQ freqs a little bit here and there, etc.

So, you can see that it is easy to spend several hours or days just working with one tune.

Imagine all the work when you have several different tracks of musicians to deal with? But, if it wasn't fun, you wouldn't be writing those HIT songs.

Have a nice Sunday,

Green Hornet

i think the biggest mistake everyone makes when mixing is that they rush into it and then they are set on the first mix that is done. give it time, take a few weeks to mix, just tweaking a little each time. Ear fatigue is the worst..once you start feeling your ears fill up with some fluid from loud music, or you feel your brain starting to have a hard time listening, quit and come back to it later. I tend to go away and listen to some other music at real low volume while watching tv or doing whatever, just to give your ears a "recycle".

i also think that being relaxed and comfortable when mixing is one of the most important. your ears can open up amazingly if you are chilled out. Get a really nice chair and just relax and mix. When you get a somewhat finished, lay on your studio couch and listen to the mix and observe what is going on. Try it, youll be amazed how much different you start to listen to things.

Back